Poll: would you die for your country?

TheDarkestDerp

Dec 6, 2010
Sassafrass said:
No, no I would not.
And not because I don't love it, but I'm 1 of about 50 million living here and I like living, ta.
This, verbatim. I can think of better things to do for my country, read:fellow citizens, than 'dying for it'. It feels a pretty narrow and insulting statement that you don't love your country if you won't "die for it".

DrJapple

Mar 15, 2011
Okay guys, that Patton quote is getting old now.

To everyone saying that they would fight for their country but not die for it, I have something to tell you. If you are fighting in a war, there is a chance that you will die. You can't make that choice. I'm sure the vast majority of people who voted yes are not suicidal, they don't want to die. But they know that if you fight to defend your country, there is a chance that you will. By putting yourself in a position where you "make the other guy die for his", there is that chance that you will die for yours.

Also consider the sacrifices made in the wars of the past to protect and defend your country. Those people fought and died so you could be born and live in a world that isn't ruled by Nazis for example. When it came to your turn to defend your country, would you really say no and allow it to fall?

To the guy that said "liberal cowards", I voted yes and I identify myself as a liberal.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
I said no, but for why I live where I do? (Scotland)
Well, I wouldn't die for any country, so I have to choose using other factors, and Scotland won out.

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
Well, my spine's fucked up to begin with, so I'm not even fit for war, but I don't think I would, anyway. Have you seen the attitudes of some (maybe even most) Americans? Greedy, uncaring assholes. A lot of them don't want to go green, don't want to help charities, some don't even want to follow the guidelines of their religion. I hate a very large portion of this place.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Yep,

I hate probably 90% of the population, obese, stupid, and ignorant as they are. But Depending on the threat I'm more than willing.

kaioxs

Sep 17, 2008
I wouldnt die for my country. in the sense of a flag and state leader and hurray for patriotism. But i might just die to protect the people i love who do happen for the most part to live in my country. I think the words of Dr Dre express this quite well.

"I ain't no ***** neither.
It's either my life or your life,
And I ain't leaving, I like breathing.
Nigga we can go round for round,
Clip for clip, shit, fo'-pound for pound.
Nigga if you really want to take it there we can,
Just remember that you fucking with a family man.
I got a lot more to lose than you, remember that,
When you wanna come and fill these shoes"

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
bobajelly said:
I think the essence of this thread is trying to see whether or not you would willing die for your country if it meant securing the future of the country. So yeh. Survivalists being kinda selfish really.
I'd die for my values (not really by joining the army, but goddamit I would stand up and be Spartacus/harbour Anne Frank/protest (probably that last one)).

If, say, Britain implemented the death penalty I would protest. I would protest the shit out of... whatever you protest the shit out of.

Calum_M

Nov 20, 2009
If we're talking about a choice between my death or my country exploding with everyone in it dying (Let's say for the sake of this that I would still survive), I would choose death, as there are clear results of my actions: My sacrifice saves 62 million people, I don't think any one can ask for a better death than that. Would I join the army and die in the line of fire? No, because the results of my action are far less clear. For all I know my actions could cause things to be worse.

Do I love my country? Not really. I like it, and I don't particularly want to live anywhere else, but I have very little patriotism. For me the choice would be about the people living in my country rather than the country itself.

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
I'd die defending it. I wouldn't die fighting someone else for it.

And I'm sorry OP, but the logic of "why live there if you won't die for it" is pretty bad. So what if there isn't any place I'd be willing to die for. Must I wander homeless then? Not to mention, while I don't like many of the actions of my government, moving away from my family and friends would be difficult and expensive.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
I'd die defending friends and family but not for this country and it's fucked up ruling class! For the record i live in the uk.

Timberwolf0924

Sep 16, 2009
these kinds of topics are always full of angst teens/child-adults who "hate their country and will move abroad as soon as they get a chance"

http://www.cracked.com/article_19363_6-reasons-your-plans-to-move-abroad-might-not-work-out.html

Read that, it's true for the most part.

Wall of Text
As for someone who wouldn't fight for your country that makes you a dog, a traitor and pretty worthless when it comes to things.

I'm sure if I said "but what if your friends!" and you'd respond "but my friends are child-adults/angst teens also" to which I'd reply, "enjoy dying in a firing squad" guess what you angst little bastards, China bans Emo and they'd be the most likly one to take anyone over, they just have so many, so you either become a rebel and fight against them, or be normal, like the rest of us. I have 3 guns, and plan to keep adding to my arsenal, guess what. If one of my asian cousins comes over in a plane and tries to help his army conquer my country, I'm going to put a bullet right where his commen sense used to be. Yea, the odds of me actually going WOLVERINES! and getting mowed down by a helicopter, even though there's a big rock behind me is pretty big, but at least I'll go down knowing that I put up a resistance.

As for joining the army, I would if I could, but having two broken shoulders/collar bones from a stupid 4-wheeler stunt made sure my military career didn't get off very far.

Plus all you home country haters out there, grow up, it's pitiful when you complain about your country behind your computer and digitally sign something that says "Help China Save Pandas!" and then you complain about how your country doesn't try to save panda bears, even though you live in Flordia panhandle. Ya know what I think, living in America, we need to pull all of our humanintarian efforts out of Africa, Asia (and I'm Viet) and wherever else we have it and focus on our people. (But you're Vietnamese!.. and?)

Yea I've been to rallies, one here in atlanta to support the signing of HB81, look it up if you don't know what it is. I vote every chance I get. I drive an foreign car, they're just better. (heh)

Also, I'm sick of everything having to be "Politically Correct" things are what they are and people are so afraid of hurting someones feelings that they don't speak their minds or they use words or phrases that beat around the bush. Stop that, so what if you get in trouble, everyone else is thinking it, except those who you offend.
Now lets see who gets ass hurt over this

TL:DR Version
I would dive my life for my country, for it's defence. If someone attacks my home with intent to kill, then only one of us will leave alive.

dragonslayer32

Jan 11, 2010
I would die for my country but not for the people running it. If I knew it was for the wellbeing of the people, I'd give up my life but if it was dying for a Tory government ideology, I'll pass.

KaizokuouHasu

May 19, 2011
gabe12301 said:
Would you die for your country? It's pretty straight-forward.

For me yes. If your not willing to die for it, then why live there? You obviously don't love it there very much.
No. That'd be stupid. And why would my country need me to die anyway?
I wouldn't kill for my country either. It my country wants dirty work done, it'll have to do it on its own.

I think what you're really asking is if I'll pick up arms and fight to the death for my country. Again, my answer is no. No one living should have to die for someone else's quarrel. There is no reason for all the deaths in the name of war be it political, religious, cultural or anything of that matter.

You use a very narrow-minded logic when you think that the only way to pay tribute to you country is to die for it. Obviously you've fallen victim to propaganda. You can do a thousand times more good for your country in life than you can in death - don't forget that, okay?

I don't think I want to answer you end question about why I live in a country I'm not willing to die for. That's just plain idiotic. I can only reiterate what I've already said in the beginning. Why would I have do die for a country anyway?

And on an ending note; When are we going to stop segregating ourselves based on which country we unintentionally were born into? How does accidentally being born in a country mean you have to die for that country? Yeah, we are divided into countries because of warmongering, power hunger and historic quarrel but in the end we are all also humans. Surely the world as its own nation has a better ring to it than a planet divided by ignorance and greed? It is also something much more worth striving for.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Timberwolf0924 said:
these kinds of topics are always full of angst teens/child-adults who "hate their country and will move abroad as soon as they get a chance"

http://www.cracked.com/article_19363_6-reasons-your-plans-to-move-abroad-might-not-work-out.html

Read that, it's true for the most part.

Wall of Text
As for someone who wouldn't fight for your country that makes you a dog, a traitor and pretty worthless when it comes to things.

I'm sure if I said "but what if your friends!" and you'd respond "but my friends are child-adults/angst teens also" to which I'd reply, "enjoy dying in a firing squad" guess what you angst little bastards, China bans Emo and they'd be the most likly one to take anyone over, they just have so many, so you either become a rebel and fight against them, or be normal, like the rest of us. I have 3 guns, and plan to keep adding to my arsenal, guess what. If one of my asian cousins comes over in a plane and tries to help his army conquer my country, I'm going to put a bullet right where his commen sense used to be. Yea, the odds of me actually going WOLVERINES! and getting mowed down by a helicopter, even though there's a big rock behind me is pretty big, but at least I'll go down knowing that I put up a resistance.

As for joining the army, I would if I could, but having two broken shoulders/collar bones from a stupid 4-wheeler stunt made sure my military career didn't get off very far.

Plus all you home country haters out there, grow up, it's pitiful when you complain about your country behind your computer and digitally sign something that says "Help China Save Pandas!" and then you complain about how your country doesn't try to save panda bears, even though you live in Flordia panhandle. Ya know what I think, living in America, we need to pull all of our humanintarian efforts out of Africa, Asia (and I'm Viet) and wherever else we have it and focus on our people. (But you're Vietnamese!.. and?)

Yea I've been to rallies, one here in atlanta to support the signing of HB81, look it up if you don't know what it is. I vote every chance I get. I drive an foreign car, they're just better. (heh)

Also, I'm sick of everything having to be "Politically Correct" things are what they are and people are so afraid of hurting someones feelings that they don't speak their minds or they use words or phrases that beat around the bush. Stop that, so what if you get in trouble, everyone else is thinking it, except those who you offend.
Now lets see who gets ass hurt over this

TL:DR Version
I would dive my life for my country, for it's defence. If someone attacks my home with intent to kill, then only one of us will leave alive.
I'm a dog, traitor and pretty worthless when it comes to things huh? Well, before we start throwing out fancy insults let me defend myself. I would not die for my country (Scotland) whether country means the government, the land or the people. I will die for my values though. Someone comes in and tries to take our democracy (and I mean genuinally, like if they tried to impose a dictatorship), puts in the death penalty, abuses human rights (European human rights, not American, I have a few bones needing picking about that one) ect. ect.

Though before I go all rebel commando, I'd protest and complain and sign petitions and all that. Because I genuinally think that force is an absolute last resort.

and if we're gonna talk about political correctness then let me say that I'm tired of people who just speak whatever they're thinking without a thought about the feelings of others. Because the emotional health of others is better than your goddamn racist joke.

Jon Shannow

Oct 11, 2010
Depends. If it involves me going thousands of miles away to get shot in someone else's country then no. But if we were to get invaded by some sort of oppressive regime thingy then yes

Timberwolf0924

Sep 16, 2009
orangeban said:
I'm a dog, traitor and pretty worthless when it comes to things huh? Well, before we start throwing out fancy insults let me defend myself. I would not die for my country (Scotland) whether country means the government, the land or the people. I will die for my values though. Someone comes in and tries to take our democracy (and I mean genuinally, like if they tried to impose a dictatorship), puts in the death penalty, abuses human rights (European human rights, not American, I have a few bones needing picking about that one) ect. ect.

Though before I go all rebel commando, I'd protest and complain and sign petitions and all that. Because I genuinally think that force is an absolute last resort.

and if we're gonna talk about political correctness then let me say that I'm tired of people who just speak whatever they're thinking without a thought about the feelings of others. Because the emotional health of others is better than your goddamn racist joke.
Yea, pretty much. So you're saying that if some other country, attacked Scotland, started killing tens of thousands of your people in a coup that you would just stand by and watch it happen. No they don't have anything against your values, or your principals, infact.. Ireland attacks, because they just want to. No reason other than to kill as many people as they can on their way to your Capitol to take over your island.. er country. You're just going to sit back, and watch it happen. That makes you pitiful, that makes anyone pitiful. If you can raise a gun to fight back, then do it. Stop being a ***** and do it.

Also (not going to spoiler this) the only way to get rid of racism is to desensitize people to it. It means flooding their systems to it. I grew up with mexican/black/white/asian people all around me. We would sit in the same place every morning and spit out racist things left and right about race/religion/color of skin/whatever else people can be ass hurt over, and now those guys are down to earth more than any other of their race than I know. Try saying "******" to a black guy around here and you'll get your ass kicked. The guy who hangs out with me. Will say "Gook" and I'll spit back "******, I got some grake koolaid in the fridge" and he'll be all "thanks charlie" and go get some.

Why, because he's not ass hurt by it, neither am I.. and my racist jokes are hella funny, and timed just right. so if you're ass hurt over someone talking about your countries drinking problem then be ass hurt over it, don't expect me to emphathaize with you, because I've dealt with it and you need to learn the phrase "water off a ducks back" and just let it go..