Poll: Would you have sex with your cousin?

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
At third cousin level, there's not enough genetic overlap to provide a risk of fugly mutant babies.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
I only have two cousins I know of, and they're both first cousins. So no.
I don't see a problem with having a relationship with a cousin, as long as the cousin is far enough away in the family tree as to remove any of the non-societal problems with it.

Feb 28, 2008
Physical deformities in children produced by incestual relationships are actually very rare, I hope people realise...? Deformities are far more likely to occur in children whose parents are smokers; drug-users; workers in risky industries; women over 40 etc. The whole "It'll come out a mutant" idea is ridiculous propaganda designed to scare people. I'm not endorsing incest, but just saying that people need to stop being scare monger bait...

And would I have a relationship with my 3rd + cousin? If we loved each other, then I really don't see the issue... A third cousin could be my cousin's son's son or my parent's cousin's son. I mean, I don't even know my third cousins. As long as they weren't a massive part of the family and I didn't see them as family, then what would be the problem?

This diagram is interesting:

Jimmyjames

Jan 4, 2008
I unknowingly chatted up my 3rd cousin at a wedding once before I knew who she was. Kinda grossed myself out about it. So, no.

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
I don't really think it matters as much as some people think. If you share maybe a quarter or an eighth of your DNA, I doubt there are any dangerous recessive genes you have in common that would be of any concern.

People forget, there's a reason incest is bad, it's not because of any moral obligation, it's because it's more likely that you would share dangerous recessive genes that you would both pass on to your kid and these traits become expressed.

Also, I should point out, you are not the first person to bring this up on here.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.226303-So-Im-dating-my-cousin-now-Yeah

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Um... this is a tough call. I have a couple cousins who are kinda attractive enough, but the idea still weirds me out a bit. I mean, as a one-time deal, no kids, no relationship, or anything... maybe. But even then, I'd have to really think about it because the idea behind it still seems a tad awkward.

CaptainKoala

Elite Member
May 23, 2010
Holy shit, NO. THAT IS NOT OK. That is your relative! There is no way I would ever do that ever ever never. I can't believe that this was even a serious question.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Had the hots for a distant cousin of mine. When I was 11. It didn't gross me out but I wouldn't bed her. Family is family.

I just found comfort in the fact that being good looking apparently runs in the family, which would I mean I don't look half-bad. Had major problems with self asteem when little.

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
Jarimir said:
The CDC a few years back said that even 1st cousins are genetically diverse enough to have kids with each other and not increase the chances of genetic disease by a factor any greater than a random pairing. I think laws were even changed (in the US) that universally allowed 1st cousins to get married.
Do you mind giving me an exact source on this? I suddenly find this very interesting.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
First cousins... maybe if I was unbelievably drunk?

Otherwise, no. I'll admit I have a few hot cousins, but I just don't see them that way.

Second and beyond... well, I don't know any, so my brain doesn't consider them family like it does with my first cousins.

Jan 27, 2011
As long as you're not actually blood-related, you SHOULD be ok...

Personally, I would not have sex with my cousin. Yeah, I used to have a crush on my older cousin, mostly because she was the only close female contact I had as a kid, and she was nice and stuff. But now? Oh hell no. First cousin. No way. That would just be icky.

Besides, as nice as my cousin is, the girl I'm dating now is a million times more awesome, at the very least.

commodorejohn

Oct 16, 2009
As part of a relationship, assuming that there wasn't a significant risk of genetic problems in any resulting children, and assuming that any of my female not-so-distant relations were the kind of people I'd want a relationship with (not really the case,) possibly.

s2dio

May 21, 2008
7 billion people on the planet and someone's looking at their cousins? Might want to get outside a little more... Maybe leave your backyard.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Everyone on Earth is related to everyone else on Earth if you go back far enough. Third cousins is actually pretty far removed. But I think the forum makes it pretty clear why if things moved that way, you might not want to broadcast it.

NubiJuan

Aug 1, 2010
lithium.jelly said:
Why the hell not? In most places outside of the USA, sex, romance and even marriage between 2nd cousins or more distant is considered quite acceptable and there's really nothing weird or wrong about it. American culture is full of the weirdest hangups.
this once again, as it's already been quoted so much.

the more distant the better though. being further removed also silences that instinct that tells you "not to go there".

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Bwah?

Flirt with a distant relative?

I just- Wha?

If genetics enter the picture, I'm out. I don't care if that girl is my fourth cousin thrice removed, we share an infinitesimally small amount of genetic material. We already have enough horror stories about pricks like Joseph Fritzl fucking his own daughters and the stereotype of the backwoods inbred Southerner has to come from *somewhere*, right?

No. Not ever. I wouldn't do it, not if you stuck a gun to my head, not even if said cousin happened to make Angelina Jolie look like Chewbacca, not even if that girl was the most insightful, witty, interesting and generally appealing individual I'd ever met.