Poll: Would You Kill Baby Hitler?

sirkai007

Apr 20, 2009
procyonlotor said:
sirkai007 said:
I would go back and kill Uwe Boll before he decided that he needed to turn video games into atrocious movies. Either way a bad German man dies.
Give this man a stout mug of Jagermeister.
I don't drink for religious reasons but I appreciate the gesture. How about a bottle of Thomas Kemper Grape Soda?

soulfire130

Jun 15, 2010
Agayek said:
soulfire130 said:
We are talking about going into the past were what has already happened has not happened, yet.
The past will not change unless some X factor changes it, be it kiling baby Hitler or to tell his parents to make sure that he does try to be a painter.

How can you block his views when he was a baby? A baby has no view. When he gets older he wont remember a single thing you would have done. Not unless you stayed with him when he gats older and teach him not to be what he becomes.
You're focusing on technicalities. My point is, the sheer fact that you are now in the past may somehow create a situation in which he either never rises to power, or never has the desire to go on a genocidal rampage.

Is it guaranteed to change anything? No. But the possibility is always there.

And If you being in the past didn't already change the Hilter's rise to power, then if you wanted to change Hilter's past you would have to more proactive measures.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Would I kill Hitler? No, because there would be the possibility of me not being born. The only past I would change is my own.

Count UberBlau

Sep 11, 2010
To do anything at all would completely change the present time we live in via the Butterfly effect. It could change for the better or the extreme worse. The risk is just a tad bit too big.

zealk

Oct 7, 2009
no, i wouldent... because it would be pointless. thats the thing about time travel to the past, its already happened. so if i did kill baby hitler, that means in this time line, i have already done this and it dident stop him did it? so either i was unsuccesful, or thats not the real hitler, or even that was his brother who wasent born yet who they gave the same name, regardless you cant change shit! because it is in the past, its already happened! i've already tried, the best i could do is go back and watch, hoping i dont get killed... maybe use the powers to go back and meet Jesus, or Buddha, or any big name guy.

Criquefreak

Mar 19, 2010
It's highly unlikely that Hitler was born fated to become the genocidal maniac he did. By the time that full time traveling powers is an option, it would be a far better use of them to study what all contributed to what happened and create an useful watch list of factors that could prevent this sort of thing in the future.

While I greatly regret what I'm about to say next, it seems worth saying:

The bitter pill to swallow of the holocaust is the humanitarian improvements that came in response to it.

I wish we could have come about them in another way, but preventing Hitler's attrocities may only wind up bringing a much worse scenario further down the time line. There's also the chance that someone else may have picked up the role, leading to quite a bit of baby murdering in the long run, maybe even to a degree that life per life outweighs it.

It's better to learn from the events of history than to try and force the world into an unstable Utopia, especially through means no one except the one traveling through time would ever understand. Just imagine if someone caught on to the one traveling through time; baby-murdering serial killer who claims to be trying to save the world from attrocities. History books would feature this person as a warning, laws would be passed to shoot them on sight.

NotSoNimble

Aug 10, 2010
I hate those who have no love for life.

Let's kill a child because of what it could become. Is that what you are asking?

If reality changed and we could time travel, why not help create a different future, instead of attempting to destroy a future?

WhoaItsBrett

Jan 22, 2010
No, I would not. Babies are innocent, killing a baby is terrible. Even if the baby in question will grow up and cause the suffering of thousands of people. Killing a person in general is bad.
To be honest, I wouldn't even consider using my time traveling powers. I don't think time is something that should be played around with.

drosalion

Nov 10, 2009
No I wouldnt kill him, as it would too drastically change the future and for all i know it could end up being for the worse. If the question is would i have problems with killing his baby morally then no i probably wouldnt.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
No because something worse might happen, like a bigger threat rising and actually killing all the Jews or taking over the world. You know things all sorts of time travel shows taught us.

zealk

Oct 7, 2009
look, they did a twilight zone episode on this! the lady they send dies during the assassination (which becomes a kidnapping because she cant kill a baby.) but one of the maids, not wanting to go back to daddy hitler and tell him the bad news... bought a baby off a gypsy and the dad did not know the diffrence, and called the baby hitler...DO YOU GET IT NOW?

Valkyrie101

May 17, 2010
No, because of the time travel paradox. If I went back in time to kill him, not only would I then not be born in all likelihood, but I wouldn't be able to go back in time to kill him later on, if he didn't do all the bad stuff he did. If that makes any sense. Sorry, that was a shit explanation.

masqueblanc

May 24, 2010
Generic Gamer said:
I was thinking more tell his parents or even hang around for fifteen years. If it saves millions of lives I'll wait.
You could just pop up every birthday like "Hi guys, I bought Adolf a painting set, he's gonna be brilliant, don't forget to tell him that a lot!"

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
what if he actually got into art school this time? that's a question the world must have an answer to, in my opinion.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
No.

Ignoring that you're still killing a baby, you can't just change history like that.

Aedwynn

Jan 10, 2009
I'd try and fail. Something would stop me. However unlikely and however implausible. Historians have said that Hitler had 'the Devil's own luck', I think it'd hold true for me if I jumped back in time to slay him.

But I'd try anyway.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
Morally you can't punish someone for something they are destined to do, you have to wait for them to actually commit a crime, even if its only in the conspiracy or intent stage...

Besides, no matter how bad the second world war was I couldn't go back in time and avert it without affecting my existence. My maternal grandfather and grandmother met on a military base during the second world war, without the war they never would of met.

Substitute Troll

Aug 29, 2010
OK, first time poster! Here we go!

Most of this topic was tl;dr but here's what I would do.

1. If I could only choose between kill him or not, from a moral perspective, without any kind of excistence fuckups or anything. I would kill him. I would totally feel like a bastard for killing a baby. But then I would also feel pretty bad for letting about 60 million people die in the war.

2. Now, if we do it like it should be and count in that some people might not be born ect. I wouldn't even want the time travel powers. And I certainly wouldn't kill Hitler! Yes alot of people died, but I wouldn't wanna change the present. Besides, mankind is corrupt to begin with.