Poll: Would you kill your clone?

Mossberg Shotty

Jan 12, 2013
I don't want to kill him, but I'm afraid I may have no choice. I'm overly paranoid and misanthropic, so we would probably be instantly suspicious of each other. Though I don't know who would come out on top if we did go toe-to-toe, especially if he has the same physique, tendencies and thought patterns as me. It could be anyone's game, especially if we both felt entitled to "my" life.

We would probably agree to a duel, with the understanding that the survivor would inherit (or resume) my life.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Why kill something that could provide a perfect alibi for you whenever you want to break into the safety deposit boxes of people you hate and leaving fresh fish in them?

"Nah, couldn't be that guy. He was at work when it happened and then we went for drinks and he got hammered and I had to drag him home by the collar before he made an embarrassment of himself!"

rutger5000

Oct 19, 2010
I wouldn't hesitate more to kill my clone to than to kill anybody else.
So yeah given the right reasons I would kill my clone. Just because my clone is biologically identical to me doesn't make him any more or less of a person.

balbuschie

May 9, 2008
Yes I would kill my clone. I have a lot of self hatred, and the sight of another me would put me into a rage.

TheRiddler

Sep 21, 2013
Nah, I wouldn't kill my clone. I mean, [it/I] [is/am] a human. I just wouldn't want to murder anyone, if avoidable. I'd probably fuck my clone, though. I mean, I've thought about this before, so I know other me would be down for this, too.

Also,
balbuschie said:
Yes I would kill my clone. I have a lot of self hatred, and the sight of another me would put me into a rage.
Welcome to the Escapist! Always nice to see a new face.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Since this is a clone of ME we're talking about, it's more a long the lines of getting into epic battles to see who the dominant one is in terms of looks, charm, and attraction.
Scuffles that would shake the Earth at the simple thought. Buuuuuut...

I'm too nice to kill thus meaning he's too nice to kill, thus meaning we won't kill each other. Ever.
The world needs more me anyways.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
The Almighty Aardvark said:
One day, through an arbitrary turn of circumstances you find yourself staring at your clone.

Your clone has all of your memories and is physically indistinguishable to you. You "know" that you are the original, well, as much as you can be certain of that, however because of the similarities between the two of you, you'll never be able to prove this to anyone you know. Let's also say that in this world, clones are not such an extraordinary happenstance (Let's say that 1 in 10 million people would have a clone) that you could make money off of it for the novelty of having a clone. The clone reality tv market is already fully saturated.

Would you kill your clone?

Before you instinctively answer no, think about what this clone would share with you. Memories, relationships, goals, aspirations, employment. Every relationship you'd have to give up or share. You might lose your job or career. Essentially you'd be either losing half of your life, or having to share it with yourself.

One other interesting issue is that your clone could be end up being far better off than you. You'd have a constant living reminder of what you could have had in life
In every sense I'd be okay with this.
i'm a diabolical mastermind, but in a really unusual, specific way. My own clone would be the only one I'd fully trust with the full extent of everything. With someone I can rely on for a change, I'd be unstoppable.

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
Why would I kill my new League of Legends/Co-op/Team multiplayer partner?
Same taste in games and 100% synergy!

We'd probably also try and figure out a way to differentiate ourselves, I've always thought about cutting my hair short.

The main way I see this being a problem is for people in a healthy relationship, you wouldn't want to lose your partner... for single folk though it won't matter later on because although you'll be attracted to the same people only one of you would actually form a bond with them.

Whispering Cynic

Nov 11, 2009
No I wouldn't. I'm a very reasonable person, my clone would be as well, therefore our first thought would be "how can I profit from this"? No reason to kill one another when there is more to be gained by not doing so.

With access to perfect alibi, we'd fill our pockets and ultimately go our separate ways, because that's what I would have done if I found out I was a clone.

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
Gosh, I can imagine the conversation:

"You're me!"

"I'm you? But that would mean that you're me as well!"

"Yeah..."

"Bad luck, mate." pat clone on shoulder.

As a serious point though it would be horrifying. It'd be like if an enemy hired an actor to follow you around and parody all your failures and foibles in front of you. Ever heard a recording of your own voice? It's like nails down a blackboard. You'd have to listen to that. All. The. Time.

Even if we wanted to try to be all "Berty and Berty, we are on a team" I think it would inevitably end with us having a swordfight in the rain on a rooftop, screaming "there can only be one!" at one another.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
He has to die.
He knows to much, and there is enough with one of me around.

Can't risk him taking over my life.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
It depends, could I preserve his body for replacement organs sometime after?

Either way, I probably would kill him, if only because having him around would probably screw up my life.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
No with one exception. The only sitaution in where i would try to kill him (although thats not possible because he has all my memories, right?) is if he was trying to take over my life and make me loose it in the process. Sharing work? sure why not. Sharing aspirations and hobbies? yeah, i wouldnt mind more people doing that with me. relationships? i got none i cant share. i would see this as an improvement in fact. if i dont want to do something the clone may do it and when he is lazy i get to do it. overall i get to do less annoying stuff.

If he is truly my clone and thinks like me, we would find a solution to work it out and distinguish ourselves (since clones are not that rare people would not freak out when we told them now would they).

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
Two of me is 100% better
I see no reason why my doppelganger would try to infringe on my life in any way
It would be the only person that truly understands me

000Ronald

Mar 7, 2008
The Almighty Aardvark said:
One day, through an arbitrary turn of circumstances you find yourself staring at your clone.

Your clone has all of your memories and is physically indistinguishable to you. You "know" that you are the original, well, as much as you can be certain of that, however because of the similarities between the two of you, you'll never be able to prove this to anyone you know. Let's also say that in this world, clones are not such an extraordinary happenstance (Let's say that 1 in 10 million people would have a clone) that you could make money off of it for the novelty of having a clone. The clone reality tv market is already fully saturated.

Would you kill your clone?

Before you instinctively answer no, think about what this clone would share with you. Memories, relationships, goals, aspirations, employment. Every relationship you'd have to give up or share. You might lose your job or career. Essentially you'd be either losing half of your life, or having to share it with yourself.

One other interesting issue is that your clone could be end up being far better off than you. You'd have a constant living reminder of what you could have had in life
Are you kidding? Why is killing it the first thing that comes to mind? And so what if it has all of my memories and goals? My goals require me working with other people; having another Ron around would help that a bit. Furthermore, the issue of who was the "original" seems to be a matter of semantics, really; maybe each of us would get a distinctive tattoo so that we can be differentiated.

This isn't difficult. Why would you have to murder someone to solve it?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Awesome! I can't think of a better room mate than myself! Of course I wouldn't kill my clone, I would get an apartment with it and everything would be awesome! Presumably...doubling my earning power should make for semi-comfortable living after all...

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
Pretty sure we'd try to kill one another. Depression sucks and I'm an advocate of euthanasia.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
The best thing about having a clone would be the opportunity to have two guy threesome with my girlfriend without feeling weird about it afterwards.