Poll: Would you like to play a video game set in your hometown/city?

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
So I've been playing a lot of Civ V recently with some friends, and I always rename (no matter what civ I'm playing as) the capital to Dundee (my hometown), the time I was playing today, we started discussing games and settings and remembered a rumour from a few years back saying that the next GTA would be set in Dundee, and you could see that logic behind it as the creator of GTA was a Dundonian and the first few games were made by DMA Design.

Since then, I've always thought about what it would've been like seeing places that I had been to in real life and doing GTA shit through them. And I would've loved it. So I ask, if there was a game to be set in your city, would you play it? And for those of you that have - for example, New Yorkers (Christ knows how many games have been set in Manhattan alone) did you enjoy said game(s)?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Yeah, I guess, if only for the curiosity value and to see who would possibly want to set a game in Hobart, Australia. (That distant rumbling noise you can hear is all the other Aussies on the forum laughing at me.)

It would be pretty dull setting.

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
I don't think it'd be terribly interesting, though it would be interesting to a native and kind of freaky, also.

This is what the game would look like set in small town, NM.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I came from a small rural town (the kind of place youve never heard of) and I pondered to myself "could you make a game set there?" its a pretty dull uneventfull place

I figured it would feel kind of like red dead redemption with but vechecles...as for enemies I figured somthing supernatural

storywise I imagnined some guy or girl who comes back home on the farm/hometown due to their father finnaly passing away, they stay to sort things out (both personally and financially)

then things start getting weird, disapearances, murders, suprnatual stuff , they find themselves unable to leave the place....eventually It turns out the shire council/towns people are also behined this as well...manipulating the supernatural forces (and mabye a bit of free mason conspiracy too) the reasoning is to "survive in a world that does not care" since thease days small towns (and agriculture..sort of) isnt the in best state

there would be an emphasis on exploration

oh and I also imagines there being a demon or somthing locked up in an old shed that they "werent allowed to go near" when they were kids...I think of strange things somtimes

Frission

Until I get thrown out.
May 16, 2011
If it's my hometown, it might be interesting. My hometown has alot of historical and cultural value. They could make it about the sunken city of Ys. The city apparently sunk legend has it close by.

Would I be interested? I wouldn't be affected apart from the first jolt of recognition.

EDIT: It should be closeby Quimper. Either way, there would probably be something happening that's about the sea or the forests.

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
Why would I want to play a videogame of the place where I live... If I can go see it all myself?

I dunno, its kind of redundant.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
I'm in a town of less than a thousand in the middle of new england...

That said, if it was some sort of common day fantasy thing it could work considering how much explorabable area there is...

ah fuck it someone make a game based on my town, I'm curious now.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Well there was supposed to be a Montreal hub to Deus Ex: HR which had me super giddy. But then that got scrapped which had me super bummed.

Shorter answer, yes. There should definitely be a video game set in Montreal.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Lucem712 said:
Why did you change your avatar?! RIP happy, jumping around, tiny dragon. You will be missed.

OT: well I have. Sort of. I've played 2 or maybe 3 CS maps that were locations of my town. Nothing terribly exciting, though - we mostly played them for the novelty of it "Ooh, it's my school" and stuff.

For a whole game - sure why not, I'll play it. My home town isn't really big or interesting - sights include, and are pretty much limited to: a clocktower, which is rather tall but I don't think it's anywhere near the tallest of...anything, really; a mosque, which is also rather large, it's closer to being in a top 10 list of something but it's not operational; ruins of an ancient city...seriously, that sounds way cooler than it actually is - just some old stones. In a game, those could be, well, expanded upon, I suppose. But at least the saving grace I see is that since my hometown is so small, it can can be recreated in-game probably on a 1:1 scale and it would fit nicely.

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
DoPo said:
Lucem712 said:
Why did you change your avatar?! RIP happy, jumping around, tiny dragon. You will be missed.
Someone noticed! :O
It's in honour of the US elections, (bit early, I know.) Do not fret, the original avatar is saved and will probably be returned afterwards

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
eh, the game would have to take place around 1900 for the setting to be exciting. Buffalo, New York was a happening place back then. One of the first cities to use electrical lights and hosted the World Trade Fair back then.

now....not so much unless chicken wings are a large factor in the game.

Inithra

Jun 15, 2011
If you play San Andreas without using firearms, it would closely resemble my hometown. I think. I haven't really played it. There's lots of drug using, prostitution, gang violence, yes? Often occurring outside fast food outlets?

If any game were set in the town hamlet I lived when I was 3-13, it would have to be a zombie survival, with the inhabitants of the 3 farms and...9? nearby houses having to contend with walkers that spent weeks in the forest getting to them.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I live in a tiny town that loses half it's pop when the campus closes/limited during the summer and winter breaks.

Do you know how BORING it'd be?
A lot.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
Depends on if the game is:

A) Something I like (no GTA, no modern military FPS) (Fantasy or an Alan Wake style supernatural setting would be neat)

B) A good game.

Eagle River, Alaska doesn't have much in the way of gangs, and it's pretty dull in terms of history. The surrounding mountains and scenery are as awesome/better then anything in Skyrim. It's an excellent place to live, but not exactly very good game material.

TheSteeleStrap

May 7, 2008
That would be one of the suburbs by Cleveland, OH. If there was a game set in the city in which I live, it would probably be called Hipster Annihilation. So I would play that.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
Yes I would love a game set in Vancouver, BC, Canada: which is my birth city. While I now live in Victoria (which is a 45 minute drive followed by a 1 hour 45 minute ferry ride away from Vancouver) I would much prefer Vancouver.

Something GTA style would be fun... and seriously Vancouver is a major city, so why not?

As an added bonus, Stargate fans would recognize a bunch of stuff too! lol