Poll: Would you play Deus Ex Human Revolution if it started Adriana Jensen instead of Adam Jensen?

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Out of all the games you could have chosen why DX:HR? The character isn't very memorable and the plot was ... interesting to say the least.

I have no objection to having a female character as a driving device for the game, to me it makes no real difference.

A better question would be, "How different, if at all, would your favourite game be if the protagonist was female?"

Varis

lp0 on fire
Feb 24, 2012
For some reason, I prefer strong female protagonists to similar male protagonists, so it's a Yes! from me. Female protagonists when presented as strong and capable individuals make more of an impact for me at least. They are sexy (no matter how they are dressed), convincing and cool because of what they represent.

I'm drunk, and this probably isn't making much sense atm, but I like when women are kicking ass instead of men. It's great.

Sean Steele

Mar 30, 2010
If Adrina Jensen dose not have to use up battery charges to do stealth takedowns. (Immediately disinterested me, then came bossfight no 1)

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
...ok now I need to find some concept art of an augmented woman in a trench coat.

Gamer_152

Mar 3, 2011
Absolutely, I'm not going to just throw down the controller like a child because "Eww, I have to play as a girl". Whatever you might see on a board like this though, we're still in a situation where the 21 year old bikini model is going to sell more copies of the game, or at very least, the industry believes it will.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
The gender of the main character in Deus Ex: Human Revolution does not really matter as (s)he is supposed to be a mostly blank slate for the character to make the choices off of. None of the choices you make in the game have any relevance towards Adam Jenson's gender.

Now, for a game I would not play because the genders are reversed; Metroid. If Samus were just another generic male space bounty hunter, nobody would really care for it. But because she is a female, and that most of the games do use her gender as a (proper) detail in the story, the game is enhanced because of the gender.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I would still play it. I don't care what gender the main character is. As long as the story is good, well written character development, and the game is fun I will play it.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
It's a FPS, where's the big deal?

It would have taken MAJOR balls to do so...
I mean, a LESBIAN as the lead character of a game?

Released...in AMERICA?

I think the neo-cons would have heart-attacks.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Powerman88 said:
I was just reading Shamus's latest experienced points and it really got me thinking; would a AAA action game work with a female character who is not a 21 year old bikini model with something to prove?

What if you had a game where 32 year old security expert Adriana Jensen lost her nerdy scientist boyfriend in a terrorist attack and needed to scour the globe unraveling a mysterious conspiracy and searching for her lost love? Would you play that?

I would. What do you think?
I might prefer it. But then I'm a lonely old man, so any female company is a plus.

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
Yes, on the condition that her voice actor doesn't sound like she smoked a carton of cigarettes before recording every line.

Brainpaint

Sep 28, 2011
Knowing the overall tone of the game it would've probably added an additional dimention to the character.

Being a woman, in a culture in which you're supposed to be flawlessly beautiful 100% of the time, how would society percieve you and you percieve yourself if you were less than a "perfect", "natural" human being capable of carving people up like sashimi with your forearm-blades and launching bombs from your torso like Ritsu (frikkin') Namine?

StashAugustine

Jan 21, 2012
I dunno if I would like DX:HR as much if Adam was female, but that's entirely because it was written for a male character. I would love to see a future DX with a female lead (and not just because it would mean a new DX.)