Poll: Would You Push The Button? (Moral Dilemma)

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
No and there's no amount of money that would tempt me. I like my family.

You could offer me immortality, world domination and Alison Brie; the answer would still be no.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
If the button instead killed any random guy in the world? Sure.
If there's a 100% guarantee that I'd lose a family member and it'll be my sister? Possibly.
Otherwise? No.

norashepard

Mar 4, 2013
I said no simply because without my sister I would straight up be dead. I mean if I was an only child sure, hell, my parents would probably tell me to do it. But not while my little sister is in danger. She's worth more than anyone could ever pay.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Id press it. Im very cynical and i dont believe any of this spooky mumbo jumbo. The only way my family would die from pressing the button is if he killed them. If that was the case how is he going to kill my family if i use the million to move my family to the carribean where he wouldnt find us

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Absolutely not.

...Well that was easy. I was hoping for something thought-provoking =S

EDIT: I guess I should say why - because I'm not a heartless monster. Because I value the lives of my family a damn lot more than that. Because a million is hardly gonna set me up for life anyway.

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
That's not a proper dilemma, mate.
A dilemma would be to either press the button, someone random dies and you get a billion dollars and instant success in life, destroy the button but have someone in your family die, or leave and the guy presses the button and kills a random person without you getting money.

neoontime

I forgot what this was before...
Jul 10, 2009
Nope, I wouldn't even press it if it was a stranger. Seriously, killing a stranger is so messed up unless you would knowly agree to die by the same chance.
I'd love to see the karma moment where if you press the button, you get a million dollars but then the guy immediately shoots you in the face. This would be justified from the previous person who pressed it since you're a stranger to them. It's the kind of awesome things I would like to see in an episode of the twilight zone or something.

Extragorey

Dec 24, 2010
I'm horrified at how many people here are justifying pushing the button if it killed someone who's been bad to them (like an abusive father, etc.) or someone they don't know.
Does it really matter who it is or what they've done? Principles, people. All the money in the world doesn't give you the right to take a life.

A recent anonymous survey in America (from the book The Day America Told the Truth) revealed that for $10 million, 25% would abandon their families, 23% would become a prostitute for a week, and 7% would kill a stranger.
Let me reiterate that: 7 in 100 people would kill you if the price was right.

People are forgetting what "integrity" even means.

TWRule

Dec 3, 2010
Another "moral dilemma"...yawn...

Let's put this in the concrete shall we? A strange carney tells you this scenario, you're going to go report him to someone, and that's about it. Maybe if you're particularly savvy, you'll ask to see the money, then knock him out and take it - or humor him and press the button, to which nothing will happen, and you'll take money from this rich crazy person.

Anyway, this is never a 'moral dilemma'. Either you view your family member's lives as of quantifiable/commensurable worth with money, in which case a little moral calculus will tell you what to do, or you do not, and the whole proposition is absurd.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
That depends, can the person prove to me that this isn't a load of shit? If not then I'd push the button just to prove that nothing would happen. But if yes, then no. No amount of money can buy away the guilt of knowing that you murdered someone

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
A million is a tiny amount compared to willfully murdering someone, but then I have no really strong familial bonds with anyone anymore. My family is largely comprised of abusive people, I am nothing like they are and have as a result become distant from most of them, in many cases they are strangers, so for a million would I press a button and loose a random member of an abusive family that has spare nearly no cruelty to myself or others? Up the ante, make it a powerball jackpot sized number and we'll talk turkey.

SaberXIII

Apr 29, 2010
I'm not that close to my family (not for any real reason, I just don't really know them very well), but regardless of who it is - be it close family member or random Jonny - I don't think I would because it's just wrong. Connect that button to 10,000 criminals and hell I'd push it twice, but that sort of morality defeats the point of the dilemma.

Navvan

Feb 3, 2011
No, I like my immediate family and have emotion ties to them that are greater than any monetary value. Change the button to kill any random person in the world and I'd likely hit it 10 or so times.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
...I'd press it, not because I want the million dollars or I don't mind my family dying, but because I wouldn't believe the figure in the black cloak. Essentially, I'd be calling his/her bluff. I'd probably do so with a flippant declaration of "Bull-shit".

Mind you, if it turned out to be true and the figure turned out to be Death or somesuch, my worldview would be flipped on its head. I currently consider all magical/spiritual/religious beliefs to be utter bullshit. Bit of a physicalist.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I like to think I would in situations like these. Whether or not I actually would is obviously unknown unless it were to actually ever happen (which... it won't. So yeah). But yeah I'll go for no.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
What? A million wouldn't even cover the cost of the amount of therapy sessions necessary after committing fucking parricide. What kind of moral question is this? And how is it in anyway a "classic" moral dilemma?

This isn't even a "sanctity of human life" debate. The fact that anyone even chose the other option on the poll probably means either 58 people are just dicking around, picked the wrong option, or are really stupid psychopaths. There's no other explanation.