Poll: Would You Push The Button? (Moral Dilemma)

Sandjube

Feb 11, 2011
Unfortunately for me, I actually love all of my family. So fuck no. Not for any amount, not for anything. That goes the same for the few close friends I make in life, also.

Sep 13, 2009
Disown my family, somehow trick the cloaked figure into signing a marriage certificate, press the button, re-own my family 1 million dollars richer.

If that somehow doesn't work out (which is probably a non-issue with a plan as airtight as that) absolutely not. Even if it was a random person in the world I wouldn't even consider it

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
I couldn't, I love my family too much. If it were not limited to immediate family members and I got to choose who died, then maybe i'd be a little more tempted, but seeing as that's outside the scope of the question, then i'll retain my original answer.

This isn't really much of a moral dilemma if you think about it; people who had a loving family will see no value in the money when compared to losing the love they have for their family, and someone who hates their family will push the button out of spite, the money would just be a bonus.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Reminds me of a question I was asked earlier this week. Basically, it boiled down to would you choose love or financial security (5 billion dollars was the example used). I choose the money. It's much more practical in the long run.

As for the question posed in the OP.
Hell, no. I like my family. I wouldn't want to risk killing any of them. Even if it were a magic button, or something, I wouldn't want to risk losing a family member.

Now, with a larger sum, and a random person, you'd probably see me hit the magic button a few times. Because I'm greedy and plenty of people are already dying without me earning money. Might as well make a buck.

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
Hmmmmmm.

Probably. Especially if I could control who I kill. That's be a big bonus.

I'm kind of a horrible person I guess :/

Sorry.

Aug 1, 2010
Fuck no.

For one, being random makes me not want to instantly.

Far more worrying however, is the guy who's proposing this and what else is at stake. I saw The Box and while it sucked hard, it was a good cautionary tale for a situation like this. The guy with the button is either the Devil or an alien. Either way, interacting with him will end badly somehow.

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
No I wouldn't do it no matter how much money, or who would be the person. Also, the guy sounds way too shady, and the details just too sketchy. Like others have said, why would you trust this guy? how does he know so much about you? How will the person die?

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
No, even though I can think of a few people I wouldn't miss. I wouldn't do it to a stranger, and I certainly wouldn't do it to family.

SuperfastJellyfish

Jan 1, 2012
Never, not even in the "random person" situation some people have put forward. Any human life is worth more than a million measly dollars.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
ObsidianJones said:
Kaleion said:
Knowing myself, I probably would push it out of sheer curiosity, to be fair there is no way I would believe the button is actually capable of doing that, I'd probably think that it's some sort of prank or social experiment, so yeah I'd probably press it just to see if it'll flash me sign saying I'm the worst person that has ever lived or something, I'm not really sure what I'd think or do if it actually works though.
If someone's willing to really give you a million dollars to see if you'd kill a family member, that person is sick. So sick, that he or she probably spent other untold amounts of money to either track your family down and hook them up to a device that will fire when you push the button. Or at least tell someone he hired to shoot them.

The answer for meis no. to anyone. My conscience goes crazy if I don't hold the door open for people and I feel like the worst person in the world. This would kill me.

In the end, that person would be stopped. Even if I die doing, I would stop this person for the same reason I do anything; It feels like the right thing to do for me and others.

I know life isn't sunshine and good intentions. That doesn't mean I should stop trying to do what I think is right.
Pffft, and what makes you think that some random person in a tent has a million dollars to give away?
But the button must do something, I wonder what?

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Noop! That just is not me. I am pretty sociopathic (passively apathetic towards their existence) when it comes to a couple of siblings but I would not deliberately kill them.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
To be blunt this isn't a "Moral Dilemma" it's a; "do you hate your family enough to this?" With that said, hell no. My brother is still probably my closest friend, and me and my mom and dad are still close.

Iron Criterion

Feb 4, 2009
BathorysGraveland2 said:
No, not my family. I would be tempted if it was just a random person somewhere in the world, but no. Not my family.
This quote here sums up humanity in a nutshell.

Don't worry, I'm not having a go at you personally; I'm just making observations.

OT: I would not push it.

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
What good is material wealth if you have to live without somebody you love and live with the knowledge that they're dead because of you?

No.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Queen Michael said:
I wouldn't. Not unless they could guarantee that it was my dad who'd die.

...yeah, my dad was puh-retty abusive during my childhood.
Agreed. Him dead and me in the money? That'll be brilliant! I wouldn't feel guilty either.

But more seriously, probably not. Apart from my dad, I love my intermediate family too much even though they get on my nerves. ;-;

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Eenope. I love all of my family.
Plus, even if it was a random stranger, I wouldn't press the button.
I can't really justify taking a life for my own gain. Even if it's for the very thing I want more than anything else.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Nope, not a chance in hell. And wow, 65 utter monsters... I'm on unemployment right now, no jump and paying my rent piecemeal while still looking and I STILL wouldn't do that.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
RJ 17 said:
This is a classic moral decision question that I felt like posing since I've little better to do at the moment, so here we go.

You're at a carnival and something draws your attention to a small tent on the outskirts of the carnival ground. Walking inside, you see a figure sitting at a small table clad in a black cloak. Sitting on the table is a box with a red button on it. The figure explains that if you press the button, you'll become 1,000,000 dollars richer, however someone in your immediate family (father, mother, brother, or sister) will die immediately.

The question is simple: would you press the button? Explain your answer. If your answer is no, what - if any - amount would tempt you to press it?
For money? No. However there are days when I feel I would happily push the button free of charge.