Poll: You can make a type of technology from sci-fi real. Which do you choose?

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
A nimble mech like Jehuty, or something like auto-mail. I dream of a robotic arm.

keiji_Maeda

May 9, 2012
Well i was tempted to take the easy way out, and go with replicators.....

Hoplon said:
Working Fusion reactors.

Power is everything.
And this is a pretty bitchin' answer too. Shows and amazing understanding of the basic infrastructure of a nation.

Sonicron said:
As much as I'd love to see power armour, chainswords and boltguns become a reality, I don't want to be responsible for creating tech that'll help destroy the planet even faster.

So, I choose something constructive: Makers.
Maybe this kind of tech has appeared in other sci-fi media, I wouldn't know, I just know it from Transmetropolitan. It's basically a household appliance the size of a stove that creates... well, anything you need in everyday life. Food, drink, clothes etc - pretty much anything that's legal and not specifically trademarked, the maker will create it for you. All it needs is electricity and, of course, matter, be it in the form of high quality and density material or just recyclable garbage, to recombine at the atomic level into whatever pre-loaded configuration you choose.
Basically, instead of chucking most of your garbage in a bin, you can turn it into a delicious ham-n-eggs breakfast. :D
And this is a pretty good idea as well.

But my suggestion is one that i'm slightly ambivalent over asking for. I'm keeping it broad like OP asked for, so mine is "Nano-technology". Self replicating Nanites that allows for sub-microscopic levels of engineering. It allows amazing feats. of architecture, alternate sources of energy,revolutionizes medicine and allows for new ways to colonize outer space.

Now i'm not talking about the "golden fifties" era of SciFi where everything is sparkly clean and wonderfull. Nanotech would probably cost, cost time,inital rawmaterial and a highly funded braintrust to improve and maintain. This in conjunction with the market crashes (all countries relying on exporting the precious raw-materials go up the yin-yang) the religious implications (you though CLONING had an angry debate about playing god?) and the ...umpleasant warfare possibilites (tailormade dirty bombs, deconstructing nanotech rockets anyone?)

And the base fact that it would planet earth inhabit more people than today. It'd probably overcrowd earth and at best give us more time to go into outer space.

but a man can dream though.

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
Widespread Replicator-technology, as in Star Trek, which would totally remove the false scarcity created by the current capitalist system.

TWEWYFan

Mar 22, 2012
For me it's honestly a toss-up between FTL Travel and the Future Energy Source. The Energy Source would probably be the most useful right now but FTL drive is frankly a lot cooler and removes one of the largest barriers to space exploration. If I had to choose I guess I'd say FTL Travel.

Kordie

Oct 6, 2011
It's all about solving the energy problem. Create an unlimited energy supply, and most of the things on that list will fall in place quickly. Granted the best source of energy we know of right now (stars), could theoretically be harvested with a dyson sphere, which would require a few other things as well. FTL Travel would certainly make it easier, as well as replicator technology and teleporting to create the sphere, then some way of getting that energy to where it is needed.

If I had to pick a closer to now technology, it would be the space elevator. Create an open door to exploring the galaxy.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
All you people saying holodeck are mental, that thing breaks every damn week and nearly kills everyone, why would you ever trust that thing?

Anyway I said FTL, but it was a tough call between that, infinite power and matter replicators. Any one of those on its own would change the world in every way, but FTL is probably the hardest to invent right now.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
My first thought is the FTL because I'm itching to get off this rock. My second choice would be the holodeck.

ElTigreSantiago

Apr 23, 2009
The future fuel. All the other stuff is nice, but the future fuel would solve all the world's economic problems and therefore pave the way for better technology. The other stuff couldn't really exist without the future fuel. But then I would choose terraforming because that would be sick. :)

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Other.

A perpetual motion machine that makes electricity.

I'm all for the elimination of at least one of my monthly bills.

RagTagBand

Jul 7, 2011
Picked other because any list without "Holodecks" is wrong.

FTL is popular but without saying how much faster than light its difficult to say how useful it is. Hell going twice the speed of light, for example, still renders galactic travel a pretty fucking long and a mostly useless endeavour.

Space is big, Really big and REALLY fucking empty.

Honestly I'd say that anything less than 100 times the speed of light would be pointless - And even then we're still talking astronomically long travel times; Going 100 times the speed of light it would still take A THOUSAND YEARS to get from one end of our galaxy to the other. If you go in a straight line and never stop.

Interstellar travel would be a complete waste without at LEAST terraforming also being something we can do.

and for Intersolar travel? The Speed of light is MORE than enough (it takes only a couple of hours to get to Pluto) so no need for FTL for that.

Zyst

Jan 15, 2010
I'm the only one that has voted Biological Enhancements so far out of 70 people who have voted so far? Wow, seriously guys, biological enhancements = immortality, super strength, no more disease and going full bioshock shooting bees from your freaking veins?

bluesession

Sep 8, 2008
One word. REPLICATORS.
Instant, efortless (and lets hope cheap) way of creating everithing, from tools and clothers to food and medicine.

And with that, Holodecks are just arround the corner (and teleportation, too)

Russirishican

Feb 9, 2011
FTL Travel is more scientifically feasible than teleportation I think, so I'm going to go with teleportation. On the other hand even if we had the technology for FTL travel we don't have the materials to withstand it.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Teleportation, IF they manage to solve the problem with killing the original and replacing said person that comes out of the teleporter with a clone.

(And why the hell doesn't spellcheck recognize "Teleportation" yet? It's an established word, god-damnit)

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Vicarious Reality said:
Synthehol from Star Trek

It is basically alcohol that will not kill you

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Synthehol

Or get you drunk? Basically it's...Well, pretty much alcohol-free alcohol. I.e something that tastes like booze but isn't.
So, fuck that?