Poll: Your game of the year.

Strange21

Oct 19, 2010
Samus Aaron said:
Red Dead Redemption was the only (okay fine, not actually the ONLY one) non-sequel/prequel video game and it was fakking awesome. Plus, undead nightmare DLC is coming out! Only thing better than Zombie Nazis is Zombie Comboys!

RDR gets my vote.
RDRedemption is a sequel to RDRevolver though.

CrustyOatmeal

Jul 4, 2010
wow, nobody has even mentioned starcraft 2???

amazing story, perfect balance, amazing cgi/ graphics, and awesome voice acting. why hasnt anybody mentioned this yet?

Custard_Angel

Aug 6, 2009
I'm tempted to say Minecraft (legitimately) because its probably the best example of a good concept executed well, but at the same time I can't really vote for it because the whole "game" part of it doesn't hold too well.

It's a brilliant dicking around activity funset, but it isn't much of a game. There's no missions or objectives or even any sort of goal (besides not dying).

Mass Effect 2 and Red Dead Redemption are undeserving I feel, because even though they were well made, they were really just 2 different flavours of the month.

How many people still play Mass Effect 2? Who still talks about it? Who still cares about it?

The answer to all 3 of those questions is "a fraction of the people who were hyped about the game after launch".

Not a great retention.

Civ 5 gets my vote for being (in my opinion) the best Civ game since Civ 2. It worked very well as a game and even though it will never be as popular as other games, it will be remembered by the fans.

meowchef

Oct 15, 2009
Gotta be Mass Effect 2 for me. Am looking forward to the promised return of the RPG elements to the perfected gunplay of Mass Effect 2 and a thrilling conclusion to the trilogy.

Buck Wilde

Jul 15, 2009
Red Dead Redemption for me, and that is only because pretty much every other game that came out this year are sequels. I suppose that shouldn't matter and I know it is a spiritual sequel but I think it was original and the first really good western I've played and the first to be a big, mainstream game.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Custard_Angel said:
How many people still play Mass Effect 2? Who still talks about it? Who still cares about it?

The answer to all 3 of those questions is "a fraction of the people who were hyped about the game after launch".
You clearly haven't been to the Bioware websites. The game may not be discussed nearly as often on public forums, but damn near everyone I ask (who played Mass Effect 2) still plays it and loves it. And EVERYONE who's played it is going borderline insane waiting for Mass Effect 3.

That said, and unsurprisingly, my vote goes to Mass Effect 2 this year. The gameplay was improved, the focus on the characters rather than the Reapers was a brilliant move, and the presentation is almost second-to-none.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Without a doubt.
I know that there are some people who are too scared to play it, and some that say they'd played it and it wasn't scary to try and sound cool because they have no balls, and some people who played for 5 minutes and freaked. These people don't know what they're missing.
I just finished it, and it has to be my game of the year. Why?
Because it scared me.

[h4]IT SCARED ME.[/h4]

I'm a big horror fan, but all the recent mainstream generic FPSes and Resident Evil 4 clones that think they're scary shrivel at the name of Amnesia. It has pacing that could make the tiniest sound terrifying, horriffic monsters that would make necromorphs shriek, a story that would make H.P. Lovecraft proud, and a setting that is only equal on the horror scale as Silent Hill.
You have no weapons. Yo don't have a BFG. You don't get a gun that shoots sawblades. Yo don't even get a freaking board with a nail in it! Your only options are flee, hide, or be slashed and left on the cold castle floor to die alone. Not only that, but you have to worry about going insane.
I've played almost every highly regarded horror game. F.E.A.R., Condemned, Resident Evil, Bioshock (It had some horror parts), Silent Hill games, Dead Space and Doom 3. NONE OF THEM SCARED ME (except the Silent Hills). Sure, there were a few "ehh!" moments, but none of them matched Amnesia's "OH NO! HE'S COMING OVER HERE! AAAH!"
And I love physics.
Ramble over.
(LIMBO and Minecraft get high regards)

velcrokidneyz

Sep 28, 2010
lol i laugh when i see ppl complaining that i didnt put choices in, only so many options and i kinda blanked on a few obvious ones like GoW3 sc2 etc.

o well, red dead was an amzing one, and after seeong a lot of ppl liking me2, i only watched my rmate play it when it came out and he beat it in a week, so i wasnt interested, now i am after reading your comments.

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
Singularity really resonated with me, and I loved its single-player experience. It's my favourite console/PC game of the year. But I think my Game of the Year award goes to Pokemon Heartgold/Soulsilver - from bringing back the soul of the older Pokemon games, with new and improved features.

ICs2Xist

Aug 30, 2009
I'm not much of an RTS-er, but it kinda blows my mind regardless that starcraft II isn't on this list.

velcrokidneyz

Sep 28, 2010
sanguinator said:
that would be assasins creed 1. SO MUCH FUN!!!!
Pielikey said:
Minecraft, obviously.
what is minecraft!
rly? i thought everyone knew what it is.
heres a link.
youtube it as well, youll get some better things.
http://www.minecraft.net/

velcrokidneyz

Sep 28, 2010
Chamale said:
Singularity really resonated with me, and I loved its single-player experience. It's my favourite console/PC game of the year. But I think my Game of the Year award goes to Pokemon Heartgold/Soulsilver - from bringing back the soul of the older Pokemon games, with new and improved features.
yes! i should have put the pokemans on there