Poll: Your opinion on School Uniforms.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Squilookle said:
aba1 said:
The thing I hate about uniforms is that your clothes are part of what defines you to the people around you. If you wear uniform it is like lying about your interests style and personality.
What utter rubbish! If everyone is wearing uniforms it's pretty obvious that it's because they're part of an establishment, and people need to dig deeper to find out people's personality by actually... you know... talking to them. You talk of judgementalism, and yet you think someone's clothes are the biggest way to tell someone's personality!!?

Uniforms don't distort or suppress one's personality. If you have a personality, it will show in far more important things like how you act and speak. I've often found those that rely on image alone to sell their personality usually don't have much of one in the first place. You want less judgemental people in the world? Remove their ability to judge personality on sight, and get them to actually interact to work it out. And you know what system is perfect for that?

Yeah. Uniforms.
Yaaa you when I say your clothes define you I mean they show off your style. If I want to get to know someone new but have no idea who anybody is but there is someone sitting there with a video game t-shirt or a comic book t-shirt etc it is a good indicator that I may in fact have things in common with that person much more likely than someone else. There is a difference between full on judging someone based on their looks and saying hey they look like they might like this maybe we have something in common.

KingGolem

Jun 16, 2009
Yes, absolutely. As negligent as parents are these days, we can't trust children to show up to school dressed like civilized persons. I know this from exhaustive first-hand experience, for my high school was a complete toilet, right across the street from the housing projects. I once saw a girl in a shirt whose neckline had been cut as low as her abdomen, making her bra the only thing covering her chest. School uniforms take this out of their hands, thus preventing your school from looking like the Red Light district.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
aba1 said:
Squilookle said:
aba1 said:
The thing I hate about uniforms is that your clothes are part of what defines you to the people around you. If you wear uniform it is like lying about your interests style and personality.
What utter rubbish! If everyone is wearing uniforms it's pretty obvious that it's because they're part of an establishment, and people need to dig deeper to find out people's personality by actually... you know... talking to them. You talk of judgementalism, and yet you think someone's clothes are the biggest way to tell someone's personality!!?

Uniforms don't distort or suppress one's personality. If you have a personality, it will show in far more important things like how you act and speak. I've often found those that rely on image alone to sell their personality usually don't have much of one in the first place. You want less judgemental people in the world? Remove their ability to judge personality on sight, and get them to actually interact to work it out. And you know what system is perfect for that?

Yeah. Uniforms.
Yaaa you when I say your clothes define you I mean they show off your style. If I want to get to know someone new but have no idea who anybody is but there is someone sitting there with a video game t-shirt or a comic book t-shirt etc it is a good indicator that I may in fact have things in common with that person much more likely than someone else. There is a difference between full on judging someone based on their looks and saying hey they look like they might like this maybe we have something in common.
The only difference is that first ice-breaker. That information can easily be gained through conversation anyway. It just encourages more interaction, and goodness knows schoolkids can use all the social skills they can get.

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
our school uniform was A blue or white shirt with the school logo and that was it the rest was up to you

Sep 14, 2009
eh went to both, and personally i fucking hate uniforms to high hell, i get so damn hot wearing anything but my clothes, i would sweat all over the place and on my tests because my taint felt like it was in an oven soaking up all the heat, so no, fuck that.

i'm not saying this is true everywhere, nor is my opinion worth more than anyone elses, but i've never seen someone actually get bullied for their clothing, if your that damn shallow about it then you're a douchebag, and if you let some random person saying "nice shirt, where'd you get that, at the toilet store!?!?*snickers*" offend you, then you probably needed that to get some thicker skin.

I know a guy, known him for about 10 years now, he's worn nearly the same damn thing every day of his life since then, and probably before then too, a *insert plain color here* dickies shirt with levi jeans and boots on, never seen him wear anything else, not even on graduation day, and i've never heard/seen anyone pick on him and he's getting along just fine being that way.

for personal reasons, i say fuck no to uniforms because they cause more problems than they are worth for me, but i'm not saying uniforms can't be used elsewhere, by all means, private school and british schools, do as you please.

miketehmage

Jul 22, 2009
I liked uniforms, it was quite cool that everyone managed to have their own take on something that was supposed to be the same.

And I know you asked the perverts to leave but damn, Some of the girls I went to school with looked their best while in uniform.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
klown said:
I went to a few different schools with a uniform. I found if the school is willing to pay for the uniform for the students, then it's okay. If they aren't paid for and are expensive, then it's not really a good idea.
This is the only concern of mine for uniforms. They should be supplied to all students free of charge/paid for by government.

The main reason i am for them , is the fundamental cruel nature of a lot of children. In social environments like school, the pressure to have the best brand names and what not on your clothing is overwhelming, and often results in horrible segregation of the rich kids and poor kids.

To an extent, the mandatory school uniform can limit the harassment/bullying/belittling of the less financially secure students as it gives more anonymity in that regard and puts the kids on a slightly more level playing field.

This all experienced first hand by the way.

In a perfect utopia, where all people are nice to each other and not bigoted at all, then it would not be necessary. But until that happens, i think school uniforms are a good idea.

Oct 2, 2012
I like the idea and I went to a few schools that required them.

Where I grew up a lot of people were poor and couldn't afford many new clothes, especially if they were name brand. But bullying (to a sad extreme) was common if you were unlucky enough to not have the right clothes or to not get them from the right store. One girl was spit on and chased out of a school dance because she got her shoes at payless.

The uniforms erased that stigma since everyone dressed the same and got the clothes from the same place. Plus nobody could tell if you wore the same clothes for a couple or few days because they looked the same.

Now I live in middle to upper-middle class suburbs and people get nasty with each other over what a person is wearing and where they got it from. A few kids tried to harass me because I wore the same pants for 3 days straight and another week I wore the same shirt twice. I think if everyone would require uniforms it would cut back on a bit of bullying in schools so I'm all for them even if they are uncomfortable.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
aba1 said:
I had a uniform in highschool and I hated it though I won't lie I didn't enjoy the girls kilts. The thing I hate about uniforms is that your clothes are part of what defines you to the people around you. If you wear uniform it is like lying about your interests style and personality. I am one the people who thinks people need to be a lot less judgmental though, everyone is so quick to point a finger but so afraid to address their own problems. If people were less judgmental uniforms would be pointless.
To an extent they can be. But the kids who can't actually afford to buy clothes that may suit what they would like their style to be?

My style as a kid then would be "hobo" or something then, as we couldn't afford much, and i dressed out of thrift stores/op-shops. I could not pick and choose what i wanted to wear, i wore what fit and was in one piece.

generals3 said:
Never had to wear a uniform and i don't think i'd like it. And tbh, i have never seen lots of bullying due to clothing either, sure some times you may have had some teasing but i've never seen someone cry because he/she was bullied for his/her clothing.

I think uniforms solve an non-existent issue.
You are either very lucky, blind, or from a wealthy family and went to a school that had very little discrepancy between the wealth of it's students families, therefore eliminating the majority of the factor.

Kids are FUCKING CRUEL. Quite often because they don't understand the long term suffering that their cruelty can cause, but that doesn't change the pain that it causes.

I've been on the receiving end of this. It is degrading and horrible. I became quite a good thief in high school just to keep up with the people who "had". Looking back it's quite shameful what i resorted to to try and get out of the "gutter trash" stereotype that came with how i was financially forced to dress etc.

Basically, just because you may not have witnessed something or experienced something, does not mean it does not exist. That's like saying poverty doesn't exist because you haven't seen it in your neighbourhood.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
I would say it more depends on the cost of said uniforms. If its a large lump sum, and the parent has to shell out for multiple of them, im against it. Otherwise, i dont see a problem.

MrPhyntch

Nov 4, 2009
immovablemover said:
Yeah yeah "But it stifles people's individuality!" blah blah bullshit. Beyond the simple point that you're at school, not at the mall you goddamn hippy, anyone who requires specific clothing to express their "Personality" doesn't have one.
Except for the fact that teenagers don't have personalities, not in the proper sense. The teenage years are for forming these personalities by pushing whatever boundaries they can, and personalities are then formed. By having very strict boundaries in any form, such as clothes, in this case, frequently teenagers will either push harder elsewhere or simply all end up with the exact same personality in the end, depending on circumstances.

Honestly, my opinion on uniforms is mixed. I understand why they are used (help bring "togetherness" as a school, help identify kids easier, less bullying, etc), but have to wonder whether or not the cost (I'd estimate around $500 per student per year, at least) is really worth it. Around here they might be able to do it (my graduating class had 23 students, to give you an idea of the size of school we're talking), but a bigger school where there's at least 200 kids per class? That needs to be a serious question. And as for having parents pay for the uniforms themselves? Any member of any school board around here who suggested that would be crucified immediately, considering how generally poor this area tends to be, on top of how many around here would reject the notion of paying to go to public school outright absurd.

On top of that, I also question how much bullying is really affected by clothing. I swear to you I WISH clothes were the thing I had to worry about most in high school. In fact, I wore (and still generally wear) sweats every day, and have never been mocked for it (outside of my brothers, and at least not to the point where I know about it) while living in VERY strict blue-jean country. Not to mention that Haters, as they say, are Gonna Hate. If one would bully anyway, clothes are just one thing of many that people can pull apart.

My niece goes to a private school where they have a uniform code, but it's more of a strict dress code than actual uniform; they are allowed a selection of clothes. Yes, bought through the school, but again, private school (and in a different state). I honestly think this kind of thing is the best "uniform" option; make the kids have some sort of uniformity, but also allow them a little bit of wiggle room in regards to their clothing.

Raine_sage

Sep 13, 2011
Eh I am indifferent on school uniforms save for these conditions which will generally make me rage.

-Students having to pay for the uniforms, on top of an already high tuition bill.
I should clarify that I'm from America and school uniforms are stereotypically reserved for private schools for whatever reason. Most of the time school uniform costs for the students are reasonable, but I've had friends who needed to pay upwards of one hundred bucks for shitty blazers and that was just stupid. I feel like if the school wants to have a uniform then they should pay for the uniform.

-Uniforms being innapropriate for seasonal weather changes.
I live in the south, winters can be pretty mild so your basic jacket/long pants combo is usually enough to keep you warm. Summer however is absolutely brutal. Humid, muggy, temps regularly breaking 100 degrees. A lot of schools are smart and either have different uniforms for summer and winter weather, or allow students to wear shorts/short sleeved shirts so long as they're the right color/length. Some aren't smart and make students pass out from heat stroke. See also: Making your uniforms out of cheap thin fabric and having all your students freeze to death anyway.

-Uniforms having strict gender segregation.
This one is mostly just personal. I hate skirts. I hate wearing skirts, I hate having to sit down in skirts, I just cannot stand those things and I think I would strangle someone before I wore one for any extended period of time. The only exception to this is a skirt that goes down to my ankles. I can tolerate those because I can still move relatively freely in them. Knee or above? Hate it. As long as the girls can still wear pants then I'm cool with uniforms.

Dr Bodom

Feb 6, 2012
Every school I have attended has required a uniform. Although, in the last few years of high school, a few friends and I started to ignore it up to the point where the only school clothing I was wearing was my year 12 jumper. This made the most sense, as it allowed my to wear my jeans and shoes of my choice, (supposed to be black leather) and keep my lip stud in. Uniforms never bothered me until about year 11, but they way we dealt with it was great and should have been the policy. Wear a school top or jumper, but allow the freedom to choose pants, shoes and headgear. Making me buy a $180 pair of uncomfortable shoes is annoying, but not letting me wear mine ONLY because the are made from suede is ridiculous.

Alexnader

$20 For Steve
May 18, 2009
generals3 said:
Never had to wear a uniform and i don't think i'd like it. And tbh, i have never seen lots of bullying due to clothing either, sure some times you may have had some teasing but i've never seen someone cry because he/she was bullied for his/her clothing.

I think uniforms solve an non-existent issue.
Bullying isn't the main reason uniforms exist. They're for the benefit of the school as a collective more than the individual students, as students look smart and further the name of the school. They're also held more accountable to their actions on public transport as complaints can be addressed to the relevant headmaster. Also cheesy as it sounds it fostered a sense of school spirit in my high school, especially with the Blazers getting progressively more fancy as you contributed to music, sport or the school community in general.

By year 12 my dark brown blazer had a sky blue trim and a wreath around the school crest due to my participation in sports, I had multiple "lines" outlining my role in various rowing crews. I was also allowed to pin my cadet adventure training award badge to it signifying the grueling week I spent in the wilderness of Tasmania. I looked fancy as hell.

I gave very few shits about my school career until I got that blazer and now I'm in uni I'm glad I have it as a memento. So basically uniforms can offer a lot to both students and institutions provided they're done well.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
I'm open to the idea, but I prefer my jeans-and-band-tee approach to fashion. I'm in high school, let me have these 4 years to not give a crap about what I look like.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
I've been to schools with uniforms all my life, and I loved it. Not so much the uniform itself, but the sense of prestige that came with it. Especially the transition from primary school uniform to a high school one. It felt really special, and like a whole new step. And of course, if you were out and about people could tell what school you went to.

And probably one of the better parts was the differing uniforms each year got, so you could tell who were in their final year of high school. At my school it was just a different coloured tie and braiding on the blazer, but you felt so awesome with them. You were also allowed to wear school awards (like sporting or academic badges, and the such-like) on your blazer, which was great.

The only problems was the price of a new uniform, but it also prevented bullying in this sense. Everyone wears the same thing, so there's no insults based on your clothing (especially since I went to an all-girls school, just imagine otherwise).

But seriously, I'll be sending my kids to a uniformed school. You look classy, you feel classy, and they become great mementos once you've left.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
I live in a country in which school uniforms are a alien concept. But I would still say YES. Since it would bring unity in school, community and pride over what school you go to since you will be tagged with the schools image (And knowing some schools, it would definitely help some kids keep their hands out of trouble during, after and before school.)

Also it would remove the alienation via clothing styles and fads. It would help ease the fresh students in new school to blend in and would remove the "poor kids" and "rich kids" of clothing mentality.
And it would keep the girls from dressing extremely stupidly on wrong weathers (specially winter), which is as issue here due to fads (-15 to -25 Celsius and they go around with short jeans open chest jacket and high heels - at the age of 13-15)
And it might teach teen boys where their waist is and how to use a belt.

AlbertoDeSanta

Sep 19, 2012
I'm going into my final two years of Compulsory Education. For the love of god, Compulsory School uniforms can go suck a massive cock.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
I think it creates an environment suitable for maintaining order but not so much for learning. If there's a problem that the kids might tear down the walls then uniforms are probably appropriate, if not then they should be counter-productive. Since kids aren't actually meant to learn in schools though they're probably always a good thing for the schools goals but I still don't really agree with them.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
i went to a school without uniform.
if my school would have introduced them i would have changed school on the same day.
school uniforms are evil at its purest face.