Poll: Your view on parents spanking their children?

Airsoftslayer93

Minecraft King
Mar 17, 2010
ElPatron said:
Airsoftslayer93 said:
So a child makes a mistake, and the answer is to spank them? I just don't see the logic.
You don't, because you just refuted a strawman.

You said that if it gets to the point parents have to resort to violence, they already failed. Which is not true, my parents must have known a thing or two about parenting. But I remember being a child, and we constantly fuck up despite the education you receive.

Airsoftslayer93 said:
using spanking as a form of control is wrong, and all it does is teach the children that to control someone you use violence
Except that is too fucking complex for me to have understood that on my own when I was a child.
Wow, so spanking worked for you, you're perfectly normal, you don't have any problems in your life. You don;t swear in a normal conversation, or become angry because someone disagreed with you.

Sure, spanking worked on you.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Airsoftslayer93 said:
Wow, so spanking worked for you
Newsflash: I didn't get spanked.

Airsoftslayer93 said:
you're perfectly normal, you don't have any problems in your life. You don;t swear in a normal conversation, or become angry because someone disagreed with you.

Sure, spanking worked on you.
I swear by personal choice. The internet is not a "normal conversation" because I was born in the 90's and we talked face to face back then. You cannot tell my emotional state for words, even if you watched all the Lie To Me seasons.

But I would prefer to be mad than using logical fallacies and assuming things about other people just to enlarge my ego. On the internet, of all places.

FolkLikePanda

Apr 15, 2009
It embarrasses the kid and lets them know not to do it again, good deterrent. If that doesn't work then use something harsher.

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
I don't consider spanking to be abuse in and of itself. It's a tool in the parenting toolbox, nothing more. It can be used in an abusive manner or it can be used in a corrective and teaching manner.

And if a parent is going to abuse their child, making it illegal to spank them is just going to drive them to find other ways of abusing their children. So I don't see how making it illegal is going to help protect children from abuse. I can actually see it going the other way - parents still spanking their children but now adding on a threat to the child to keep it secret. "If you tell anyone, you'll be taken away from Mommy and Daddy and never see us again." That's more damaging to a child than spanking could ever be.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
I remember reading in my material for a sociology class that children should only be spanked when they are repeatedly doing something that could result in permanent injury or death. The reasoning behind this is that you condition a child to associate physical pain with currently unforeseen physical danger and psychological discomfort with social or disciplinary failure. The reason for this is that if you associate physical danger with social or disciplinary failure your child could end up developing a dread of social failure which resembles that of dread of physical harm.

Simply, spanking your child for their failure to conform to social standards/expectations may end with them approaching all social interactions as if they were about to get beaten as adults.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
Buretsu said:
Children just get whatever they want as a child. They grow up to expect to just get whatever they want as an adult.
What does that have to do with physical discipline? It seems to me that all parents would need to do in that case is just say no and stick to it, not beat the shit out of their children for asking for something.

Fleischer

Jan 8, 2011
My first child will be born next March. I reserve the right to spank the child to negatively train it (won't know the gender until October). If my child bolts toward a road filled with cars, it will be summarily spanked. I can't reason with a child as to why it is dangerous to take such action, the physical pain will have to fill in until I can properly communicate that message.

As for spanking being used as a punishment, I would prefer to take other actions to discipline a child. It seems pretty uncivilized to beat someone, where as I cannot dope slap another citizen because he offended me in public.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
Buretsu said:
Do4600 said:
Buretsu said:
Children just get whatever they want as a child. They grow up to expect to just get whatever they want as an adult.
What does that have to do with physical discipline? It seems to me that all parents would need to do in that case is just say no and stick to it, not beat the shit out of their children for asking for something.
They can get whatever they want, they can do whatever they want, and sometimes words just aren't enough to get the point across that that sort of behavior is unacceptable.
They can do no such thing, a five year old can hardly get whatever they want, like that toy in the checkout, they have no power to accomplish that. They can't do what they want either, if they want to go to the playground a mile away a half hour before bedtime they again have no power to accomplish that, the only way either of those things becomes a reality is if the parent simply give in to the demands of the child.

The only way a child becomes an entitled adult is if the parents confuse actual parenting, as in "raising a child" with treating the child as a problem that will go away if it gets what it requires to be happy.