Poll: Your weapon of choice for surviving the zombie apocalypse...

JamesJackWalshe

Jul 30, 2009
Imagine a film set-up exactly like zombieland, most of the populace of the world has been turned into a zombie, you are a survivor and you can only carry one kind of weapon because you have to travel light and cannot spare the room for ammo for more than one kind of weapon.
The options are in the poll, these weapons have advantages and disadvantages which you will instantly know if you are the game playing type.
If you don't know, then here is a run-down:

1. CQC Weapon - This is vary useful when a zombie gets too close, and doesn't need to reload. However, you must be skilled with it and be very quick on your feet when the horde rushes in.

2. Bolt Action Rifle - Accurate and powerful, however can only fire one shot at a time.

3. Fully Automatic Machine Gun - Often powerful and accurate with a high rate of fire, although it uses ammo very quickly if you aren't careful.

4. Semi-Automatic Machine Pistols - Small and light, can fire rapid shots into several zombies, although not very powerful and can use up ammo quickly.

5. Dual Pistols - Powerful and accurate, you are also able to aim at two targets at once, however you must be careful when reloading as it takes a while to reload two weapons at the same time.

6. Powerful Handgun - Accurate and powerful, however ammo can be hard to find and there is a lot of recoil and doesn't have a high rate of fire.

7. Shotgun - Powerful and can hit multiple targets because of the buckshot ammo, however it takes a while to reload and is only effective in close quarters.

8. Explosives - These can kill multiple zombies at once often from a safe distance, however these are very dangerous to you as well, the ammo is very scarce and most explosives require a lot of knowledge so that you don't blow off your own leg.

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
Bolt-action rifle, great for engagements over long range and the slow rate of fire forces you to pick your targets carefully...

And it would make an awesome club/pike (with bayonet)

Megatheist

May 5, 2009
Bit of a thing with that list. SOUND. Most Zombies and Zombie Like Creations are all in a very primal state and while they're not cognitive they can hear as well as we can and most of those weapons not only make a tremendous amount of noise, they also can't be silenced. Your Also leaving out that many Zombie tales put in the idea of infection if you ingest zombie blood, are bit by one or are scratched by one.

Not to mention you left out the Axe which is listed on the Zombie survival guide as not only durable but also practical.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
After the obligatory “oh, it's this thread again”, I would use an assault rifle because they can have multiple firing modes and can be accurate at relatively long ranges.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
Well, in reality I would probably opt for some sort of extended mag assault rifle but then what does the zombie apocalypse have to do with reality? I voted CQC for cricket bat... Shaun of the dead FTW

Lucifer dern

Jun 11, 2010
recently went to a range to try out diffrent wepons for a m8s birthdays, shotguns take AGES to reload enless you know excly what ure doing. bolt action rifles have stupid recoyle so youll probibly obscure your own aim anyway. and using a machine pistol without knowing how to use it is a sure way to brake ure wrist and shoot ure foot. so ill go machine gun just cos it compansates for your aim with alot of bullets, and theres normaly enough safty on these things to stop you shooting ure feet if u drop it. also 3 shot bursts recoil are pretty painless on ure shoulders.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
I really wanted to say a katana, but being practical I have to choose a fully automatic machine gun. After all just spraying at the legs of zombies in a crowd might not kill them, but it will still hinder their movement.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Shotgun for me, if a zombie is far away from me I won't need to bother with him. Don't plan for zombies being closer than 5 feet from you. A good shotgun should decimate a zombie in one blow,.

The next best thing for me would be a melee weapon.

Reynard Wrecce

May 15, 2010
See, a shotgun is still effective at 30-40 yards, and by effective I mean 'dismemberment'. But I'd go for a modern assault rifle; you can always just switch it to semi-automatic, you don't always gotta spray'n'pray.

Benny Blanco

Jan 23, 2008
I chose CQC because that's what I'm best at using, they're relatively quiet and never jam or run out of ammo.
Then I regretted my selection when Jark212 mentioned the bayonet option on a bolt-action rifle.

Apart from the fact that this thread has been done to death I wanted to nitpick the OP's selection a bit...

Machine Pistols aren't semi-automatic. Semi-auto weapons fire one shot per squeeze of the trigger. Machine pistols are by definition capable of burst fire or fully automatic.

Shotguns come in all forms of feed (break action, pump-action, semi-auto and full-auto) and can load solid slugs as well as shot.

I don't see how machetes (my personal CQC choice as they have a practical function besides combat) are too big to allow me to use any other weapon whilst I'm carrying them in sheaths.

Especially given that one of the options was "Fully Automatic Machine Gun" - presumably a SAW or similar rather than an SMG...

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I'd go with Shotgun, hand in hand with the chainsaw as the zombie's mortal enemy. Plus if you run out shells it's still an effective melee weapon.

The Eggplant

May 4, 2010
I'm a trained fencer, traceur, and martial artist, so my obvious choice is the melee weapon. I suppose a katana would work well enough for me, although if given a choice I'd take either a rapier or a pair of punch daggers, since I've actively trained with both.

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
I suppose with the dual pistols option you also have two brains, because otherwise it won't be extremely accurate, and you won't be able to target two enemies at once.

I guess I will settle with a sawed off shotgun. I've fired one before, and it would decimate zombies.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Shotgun, cricket bat, pills.

Everyone knows that's how you survive a ZomPoc.

[small]Yeah, I did just make ZomPoc. up.[/small]

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
NO MORE ZOMBIE THREADS! IT'S OLD! I FEEL ASHAMED THAT I'M REPLYING!

eh, I guess a bat would work best but since you can't think of that... Katana or bolt action rifle. If I'm going to suffer a zombie being within 50 feet of me I'm going to wack it with a bat but if I can just keep it way up past 50 at all times a rife woudl be the best bet.

Red Hood

Sep 3, 2009
I would use dual pistols. Great for mid to close range. Perfect for a good ole fashioned pistol whip and plus I can go John Woo on the Zombie all day.

escapistrules

Nov 25, 2009
grab a sword, go in a bomb shelter that is filled with enough food to last me for years, use sword to help keep door locked, wait till food runs out, see if zombies are gone, if they are look for survivors, if they are staring at me with hungry eyes then then use sword to fight off zombies till i get back in my bomb shelter and disembowel myself. happy ending.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
I choose....none of the above. The best choice as far as I am concerned is a semi-automatic rifle. Something like a M1 Garand, Carbine, M-16, or AK-47(I would not use the full auto). A .22 rifle also would not be that bad, seeing as you can carry a shit load of ammo, it has no recoil, and is accurate enough for most situations.