Poll: YuGiOh or Magic:The Gathering, which is better?

James Nixon

Nov 8, 2010
Found there's a Magic meeting twice a week at a nearby pub so I'm going to get into that I think. Thanks for the advice guys.

freakonaleash

Wheat field gazer
Jan 3, 2009
I bet Magic would be funner, but I really wish they had some sort of guide that explained how to play, because I can't find any sort of instruction for it.

soulfire130

Jun 15, 2010
I can't reaaly choose between them. To me, Yu-Gi-Oh was alway faster than Magic. Magic had more depth to it's strategy and didn't require you have a rare, powerful card to take down your opponent. Plus, there is something very satisfying about having fifteen creatures on your field ready to obliterate the opponent that is one life away from losing. >:)

HumpinHop

May 5, 2011
OutrageousEmu said:
HumpinHop said:
OutrageousEmu said:
Magic is way slower paced and has less elements to it. It really comes down to two factors - how tactically you want to think, and how often you want to change your cards. YuGiOh's metagame changes radically with every new booster release.
Slow paced? How fast is Yugioh then? Standard goblin, cawblade, or infinite damage decks can win by turn four. What elements are there in Yugioh that aren't in MTG? (not as angry as this seems, more out of curiosity).
Dude, I regularly win by turn three, more than a few times by turn two. In fact, there are 13 ways to win on the first turn, without your opponent being able to do anything.

As for the elements not in Magic, combining monsters, sacrifice, removal from play, traps, and so on. All of these are elements that massively add to the tactical nature of the game.
Yeesh, never remembered it being that fast (then again it was half a decade ago). You can only win that fast in expensive MTG Vintage decks, do you think Yugioh is still balanced if you can win so quickly with a competitive deck?

I had forgotten about combining monsters, but in MTG you can do similar things through exile, enchantments, cards that let you fetch for mana/big creatures, and there's a great deal of synergy in most decks. Most Black decks nowadays you can pick cards from their hand and discard them, or just straight kill half of their deck. I couldn't say if one has more tactics than the other but I think it's fair to say they're more or less equal.

konor77

Aug 26, 2009
OutrageousEmu said:
HumpinHop said:
OutrageousEmu said:
Magic is way slower paced and has less elements to it. It really comes down to two factors - how tactically you want to think, and how often you want to change your cards. YuGiOh's metagame changes radically with every new booster release.
Slow paced? How fast is Yugioh then? Standard goblin, cawblade, or infinite damage decks can win by turn four. What elements are there in Yugioh that aren't in MTG? (not as angry as this seems, more out of curiosity).
Dude, I regularly win by turn three, more than a few times by turn two. In fact, there are 13 ways to win on the first turn, without your opponent being able to do anything.

As for the elements not in Magic, combining monsters, sacrifice, removal from play, traps, and so on. All of these are elements that massively add to the tactical nature of the game.
magic has a deck that wins on turn 0.(The protean hulk one).

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
OutrageousEmu said:
HumpinHop said:
OutrageousEmu said:

Winning in 3 turns sounds horrendously stupid and silly to me, and wouldn't having all those elements just make the game needlessly complex?

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
OutrageousEmu said:
Magic is way slower paced and has less elements to it. It really comes down to two factors - how tactically you want to think, and how often you want to change your cards. YuGiOh's metagame changes radically with every new booster release, and has way more tactics to it than Magic could ever have.
Well, I don't play yugioh, but don't say Magic lacks strategy. There are decks capable of winning on turn zero, and every set released in Magic literally brings new gameplay elements with it. Every set, without exception. top level players

As for this "the elements not in Magic, combining monsters, sacrifice, removal from play, traps, and so on. All of these are elements that massively add to the tactical nature of the game", those are literally all in Magic, some more so than others. Does yugioh have cards that essentially count as an extra player on your side? How about spells that let you counter those of your opponents? How about things like resource management, and the like? From what I've seen of some old friends playing it, the types of decks you can use or really just limited to what kind of creature type do you want. In magic there are aggro decks, control decks, mana/land ramp decks, combo-based decks, "weenie" decks and burn/direct damage decks. I can literally go on for ages about all the different strategies of magic (I'm a judge :p), and if you want to know more, I gladly will.

from what I read in your posts, it seems like you either have never played magic, or you have to a very limited degree.

EDIT- I see there are a couple people who might want to learn a bit about magic. If you guys have any questions, feel free to throw me a PM. Also, if you want to get into it, I suggest finding a local card shop (NOT a k-mart/target type store) that has sanctioned tournaments and what not, and ask to see the free half-decks they have. You can literally go to any of these stores, choose a color you want to try out, and they will give you a free 30-card deck. Find some friends and try it out, once you get into it, you'll literally have endless hours of fun finding out new strategies and combos.

TheJulz

Dec 7, 2008
My friends and I play both, and we enjoy them both. I cannot honestly choose one over the other.

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
I don't know. I've played more than a few matches of yu-gi-oh and only one of Magic.

I know that Yugioh has some serious balance issues, but from my one match of Magic, I can't say it's much better. I utterly owned the ever loving shit out of my brother in that match. And I was still learning the rules throughout the match as well.

I should probably play more maches of Magic before I judge it, but I can't really vouch for either at the moment.

Sep 17, 2009
James Nixon said:
Feel like getting into a card game and can't decide between these two. Played quite a bit of YuGiOh on the PSP and played Duels of the Planeswalker on the PC and enjoyed both. Can't afford to buy cards for both so I'm wondering which is more fun in the longterm.
Go with Magic, a better, smarter, more worthwhile game.

Also, people will be playing Magic forever, and the Yu-gi-oh community is not as strong.

Yu-gi-oh was a great starter TCG though. I loved it back in the day.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Marter said:
From what I've seen, more people still play Magic. I don't know anyone who still plays Yu-Gi-Oh!, which is a shame because I find it more enjoyable. (Probably because I actually learned how to play it...)
Yeah same here, tried magic and I just found the whole thing confusing.

Call me an idiot but I like things to be simple.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
OutrageousEmu said:
Unlike Magic, in YuGiOh people can actually say "35 cards from my 40 card deck are in the graveyard. Everything is going according to plan."
...there are decks that do that in Magic, too. I'd strongly advise reading my last post. You really need to stop thinking you know magic as well as you know yugioh.

matsy

Nov 19, 2009
ROFL at the guy arguing that OTK decks make Yugioh more strategic. Either very misled or very good troll.

Yugioh has literally no strategy. Buy the most expensive cards, put them all in a deck, summon as many dudes as you can in one turn and destroy all your opponent's stuff. Just don't attack into a Mirror Force, if for some reason that card isn't banned at the moment.

Magic requires deckbuilding for a start, and actually has a resource system to give the game some depth besides "only summon 1 monster per turn...unless you spend $100 on cards then you can summon as many as you want!".

Yugioh is fun, don't get me wrong. But it's hideously imbalanced and costs a fortune to get a decent deck.
Magic is deeper than Yugioh could ever hope to be.

HumpinHop

May 5, 2011
OutrageousEmu said:
HumpinHop said:
OutrageousEmu said:
HumpinHop said:
OutrageousEmu said:

Yeesh, never remembered it being that fast (then again it was half a decade ago). You can only win that fast in expensive MTG Vintage decks, do you think Yugioh is still balanced if you can win so quickly with a competitive deck?

I had forgotten about combining monsters, but in MTG you can do similar things through exile, enchantments, cards that let you fetch for mana/big creatures, and there's a great deal of synergy in most decks. Most Black decks nowadays you can pick cards from their hand and discard them, or just straight kill half of their deck. I couldn't say if one has more tactics than the other but I think it's fair to say they're more or less equal.
No, using FTK decks isn't exactly fair, which is why its considered a total dick move to use them. That, and most of the cards that lend themselves to FTK decks are outright banned from competitive play (there remain about 5 you can legally bring to a tournament).

And its not so much the combining of creatures as carry ocer effects. Stuff like creatures that can allow effects to carry over with new cards. And for sacrifice, its not so much the act of sacrifice, as that sacrifice being a persons entire strategy. Unlike Magic, in YuGiOh people can actually say "35 cards from my 40 card deck are in the graveyard. Everything is going according to plan."
**What do you delete so that you just quote the post itself instead of everything that was quoted inside it(there will probably be four boxes of text within one when this is posted)**

Okay and matches that are more casual don't go as quickly, or do they all work that fast? That cawblade example earlier is 100% business, you play it to win, so the 3 turn/2 turn Yugioh decks sound like the same mentality.

MTG has its share of carry over effects, I have an elf in my deck that allows you to use all elves you play for mana, and another that makes my creatures unblockable. As far as having your whole deck in your graveyard and it being a strategy, MTG has dredge :D You basically throw a bunch of cards into the graveyard and then play the ones you'd like, and the more cards you dredge the better your chances are.

Magic has a gigantic rulebook and glossary, as I'm sure Yugioh does as well. Just trying to show one isn't far more complex than the other.