Poorly Reviewed Games You Enjoyed

lolcatize

Oct 6, 2009
Charcharo said:
Metro 2033 on this very site ...
Otherwise, STALKER Clear Sky, even though I kinda get it... it was just too buggy on release.
ALso I really like Fair Strike, but it has only 50 points on metacritic. It is not some end all awesome game, but I do like it.
I can agree on those both, it seems people liked CoP (wich i did not, infact its stares at me right and i have an urge to trow at out of the window. But i digress both stalker and metro are 2 of my favorite games and i found Clear sky very enjoyable and it was a great prelude.

saleem

Oct 29, 2009
Too Human - after figuring out how to use the rune slots, juggle opponents and not die every 30 seconds the game actually became a ton of fun - also the first xbox game game I actually finished.

Sh1nobu

Nov 23, 2009
Mirror's Edge. Yes, the gunplay was terrihorribad, but if you look past that, the gameplay is new and refreshing with some amazing aesthetics.

Pink Apocalypse

Oct 9, 2012
Hunted: The Demon's Forge.

I really, really liked that game. So did my boyfriend. We had a lot of fun playing it together, even several times (to get all the achievements).

We were kinda bummed out to find it got bad reviews, with no hope of DLC or a sequel...

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Tanis said:
God Hand
ADORE this game, but the reviewers shat on it pretty hard.
That game alone makes me want to buy a PS2 again REALLY REALLY BAD.

And IIRC Starwars: Galactic battlegrounds. It's age of empires 2 with a starwars skin, but I loved it nonetheless.
(seriously the AOE comparison isn't even hyperbole, it was almost a friggin carbon-copy)

ThatCatHead

Apr 17, 2013
Xathos said:
Resident Evil 6. The game certainly isn't a 2 (out of 5) or a 4 (out of 10) or whatever. I had a ton of fun playing the game and certainly felt like I got my bang for my buck. Sure it isn't scary in the slightest (in fact I only had ONE jump scare when the game wasn't even really trying to scare me), but its not a horrible game or the worst out there. I am also a sucker for multiple storylines that come together at various points leading to a final storyline at the end. Aside for some silly things in the plot, I found it to be really enjoyable. Don't know why everyone was hating it so much.

Granted the only game I ever played was Resident Evil 5, although I have looked up/watched all the plots/playthroughs of the other games. In a lot of ways I like it better than Resident Evil 5.
Yep, totally agree on this one, particularly the intertwined stories, The only thing i dont like is that its just too focussed on being a co op game rather than SP.

Acton Hank

Nov 19, 2009
Shockolate said:
The 2008 Turok game.

Stabbing dinosaurs in their faces never got old for some reason
Don't forget killing a T Rex by shoving a hand grenade in its eye.

After Turok, I would say Alone In The Dark (2008); I really liked the ideas and ambition.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Apparently a few games
-Sonic Unleashed, the day levels were a ton of fun, so fun it's been modded into Sonic Generations

-Earth Defense Force 2017, I think reviewers missed the point o fthis game

-Blade Kitten, the game isn't great but it feels like a fun old Dos game which makes it a fun game for me I guess

-DOOM 3, a lot don't like this game saying it's trying to be something it's not, you know because Doom was JUST shooting and didn't have you looking for keycards :p

-Armored Core (classic games) I think people forget there are no other games like this and that while a bit flawed AC is really fun.

-Torchlight 2 has gotten some flack for being too similar to Diablo, even though it's made by the original Diablo 1 and 2 teams down to the fucking composer and D3 is a steaming pile of shit.

Then the rest of the games I like are just unknown it seems
-Phantasy Star IV
-Shining Force I & II
-Ranger X
-Flashback
-Landstalker
-Beyond Oasis
-Desert/Jungle/Urban Strike
-Breath of Fire 4
-Brave Fencer Musashi
-Final Fantasy Tactics <=Well this in recent years has been getting more known through shitty re-releases which is interesting.

Dirge Eterna

Apr 13, 2013
Quazimofo said:
Tanis said:
God Hand
ADORE this game, but the reviewers shat on it pretty hard.
That game alone makes me want to buy a PS2 again REALLY REALLY BAD.

And IIRC Starwars: Galactic battlegrounds. It's age of empires 2 with a starwars skin, but I loved it nonetheless.
(seriously the AOE comparison isn't even hyperbole, it was almost a friggin carbon-copy)
Yep but it still a lot of fun and I loved them both. I wish they would make a new one. The SW universe is so open they could do anything. Plus I want to kill more gungans lol.

Ghaleon640

Jan 13, 2011
kypsilon said:
Nobody ever mentions Bullet Witch. I freakin' loved that game. Sure the graphics weren't stellar and the story line was middling at best, but dammit, I blew up a gas station with a freaking tornado.

...and the free costumes that you could download. FREE.

So sad that they never made a second one. :(
I found someone else loves Bullet Witch! I loved the style, and yeah, it had its flaws, but I thought the mix of bullets and magic was pretty cool.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
-Any Koei Warriors game except Gundam and Fist of the North Star (which I haven't played FotNS, so I can't judge it).
-The first two Army of Two games.
-The Saboteur.
-From what I could play of Alpha Protocol, I'm probably in that camp, too. However, the game is borderline unplayable for me.
-The original Saints Row has a metacritic and gamerankings score of about 80, but it was hammered on release, so I'm going to include it. It was...Not great. I bought it used. But if I hadn't enjoyed it, I wouldn't have pre-ordered the next two.

Terminate421 said:
Reviewers didn't like it often for its repetitive gameplay.
Did they...Did they never play a Pokémon game before?

I know the spinoffs don't have the same mechanics, but....COME ON!

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
Haze. It was talked about a lot before release but it was completely blasted by reviewers.

But seriously it wasn't a bad game, the story was fun and interested. The graphics weren't quite up to scratch but everthing else was there.

Such a shame about the reviews though because it drove all the multiplayer away.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Duke Nukem Forever, Bullet Witch and Postal 2 all incredibly buggy but I did enjoy them alot, okay BW wasn't buggy but clearly an orginal xbox title.

Otaku World Order said:
Hyperdimension Neptunia, possibly the strangest JRPG I've ever played... And I've played a lot of those.
Almost forgot this one, 1 of the few RPG's I actually enjoyed.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Mikejames said:
Deadly Premonition. Shoddy action, messy driving, and low res graphics or not, it was a surreal, dark, and humorously quirky gem.

Though the love/hate has seemed to be pretty polarizing with some reviewers.
Same. The game is too weird to not love, although I can see why people who don't appreciate that type of thing would dislike it.

Aside from that, 2008's Alone in the Dark. It had some cool ideas watered down with poor execution, and some of the dialogue was hilariously awful (I'M THE F*CKING UNIVERSE!!!), but the fire physics were amazing, and the soundtrack was truly epic.

LAGG

Jun 23, 2011
Hunted: The Demons Forge.

Awesome gameplay, which's all the matters for me. Bow all the way.

Ren_Li

Mar 7, 2012
Other way around- I was put off buying Dragon Age 2 for a long time because of all the bad things I heard about it. When I finally bought it, whilst I can see all the flaws it has, it also has many things I enjoyed, and I felt like a bit of an idiot for not getting it sooner.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Chocolate Mousse said:
*looks around nervously*

I enjoyed playing Duke Nukem Forever. i don't know if that was maybe because of how long I waited for it and fuck all if it was reviewed poorly and played bad, but I really did have fun.
Agreed, DNF was a love letter to fans of the francise. Everything a fan would expect Duke to do and have happen to him happens in this game. The over the top ridiculousness of the game is par for the course for Duke. I think it's just that DNF was released outside it's time, since we're in a time when insane political correctness is rampant and vulgar humor isn't as popular as it used to be, DNF's style of humor just doesn't work for most people these days.

Snotnarok said:
-DOOM 3, a lot don't like this game saying it's trying to be something it's not, you know because Doom was JUST shooting and didn't have you looking for keycards :p
When I first found out that there are people out there that actually gave DOOM 3 bad reviews, I was struck speechless. I just COULD NOT fathom the idea that anyone would consider DOOM 3 bad, it just didn't seem possible that there are actually people out there with such a lack of good taste. DOOM 3 was being a horror shooter long before Dead Space was a thought, and doing both aspects far better, while also managing to build a very interesting backstory. When I heard that DOOM 4 was probably going to go back to a system akin to DOOM 1 and 2 instead of building off the system DOOM 3 established like it should, I died a little inside.

Snotnarok said:
-Final Fantasy Tactics <=Well this in recent years has been getting more known through shitty re-releases which is interesting.
Shitty re-releases is right. Retranslate the dialog? Fine. Turn it into a ye old butchered englishe shakespeare knockoff?

I HIGHLY doubt that's what the original japanese script directly translated to, and even if it did, there's a reason that style of english all but died out centuries ago.

OT: Alpha Protocol and any Bethesda game (including New Vegas) that gets dumped on for being buggy. Maybe I just have a ridiculous amount of luck when it comes to this, but I have hardly ever encountered bugs in any game I've ever played, whether it be a game everybody says is chock full of bugs or games said to be perfect, and the few bugs I have seen have been very minor at the worst, like a rock missing a bit of it's texture for example.