Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
ShAmMz0r said:
Alterego-X said:
Why is it I get into an argument here and sound like a dumbass, only to have you guys come in after I shut up as say the exact same things but far more eloquently that I ever could. You guys suck!

No, not really. Thanks for having better control of English than I do.

mlcc

Sep 7, 2009
I think that the main problem with the piracy is that you need a creditcard to buy from the android market. I'm not trying to defend piracy here but it's much easier to just download the apk from somewhere than going through the work of making some kind of virtual creditcard or something like that.

Here, you can finally pay with your mobile phonebill. But I think there are only three providers which do that and one of them just recently made it possible, people with other providers can pay like that since almost half a year or longer.

I just wrote this because most people were like "omg its only 1$ why dont you pay???" and I only wanted to tell that some people just can't buy them.
But I have to admit that I downloaded some games but I immediately bought them once I was able to. Slap me, burn me, twist my nipples. Just wanted to let you know that there are some "pirates" which do this stuff.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I'll just say it's a pity. I can kind of- sort of- get behind "ad supported games", so long as the placement of the ads isn't invasive to the game itself. But "pay more real money to do well in the game", or worse, "pay more real money to play the game as it was originally designed to be played" is a concept I would happily have seen die with Double Dragon III.

Piracy has been a problem for a very long time, but it was a little more innocuous when it was floppy disks swapped between friends. In the age of the Internet, it's actually having a real effect on business models- and worse, game design.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
CriticKitten said:
1337mokro said:
I am holding a random game here in my hand.

Please tell me. Do you like this game?

That's basically the experience you go through buying a game on day 1. You purchase on good faith without ANY option to return the game after playing without selling it to someone else.

The anti-piracy guys are always so vehemently opposed to having options to try out games with demo's. They would rather just trust Mr Big marketing corporation to give them their information. I suppose you also get your reviews from gamespot :).

Any way did you figure out if you like the game I'm holding in my hand? Not yet? Well guess I sort of made a point. I could Borrow it to you... but that is also illegal according to the EULA. You'll just have to take a leap of faith and send me 50$ to buy this game. I'll even send you a photo of the bland box art and the marketing blurb on the back.

It's always nice to see people defending corporate greed and suffocating legislature and business practices under the defence of "stopping theft".

My gaming library exists of exactly 2% pirated games. These games are so ancient you can't buy them any more. The rest have all been bought either on recommendation from others or by playing a demo. When no demo was available. I simply pirated the game, play it for an hour and if I didn't like it I simply deleted it and never looked back.

Come on. Please tell me how I'm evil and horrible for stealing games that nobody sells. I mean I'm so horrible right? Or maybe. A crazy idea here. What if games ALWAYS came with demo's? What if we reinstated the 24 hour trial of the olden days? Before CD-keys ruined that.

It would allow people to buy games more freely and return them, the store usually just gives out credit so the credit will still be spent on games. Just not on the one that sucked. I think that is a fair trade off right? Instead of making a purchase of games permanent, making a short lapse in judgement a punishment worth maybe 10% of someone's monthly income.

Let's not suck the cocks of corporations shall we? Let's instead look at why people pirate. Address the issues and then condemn those that still do it because they can.
I'm quoting this post because this is the first person to get it right.

The rest of this thread is a sad, pathetic, and over-emphasized morality battle between two parties:
1) people who refuse to recognize the growth of piracy as an indication of market problems
2) people who refuse to recognize that some people are just going to pirate the shit out of digital media even if they don't have a reason for it

Yes, some people will ALWAYS pirate digital content. This is how the world works. There are always going to be people who do illegal things because they want to. And then there are the morally-grey cases. It's impossible to know how many people pirate for those reasons, but we'll find out if the corporations take the time to deal with those service issues.

Deal with these service issues first. Then we'll start talking about the legitimately bad people out there. >_>
Exactly right. I will also confess that I pirated games and music before iTunes and Steam. I would've kept pirating if I hadn't realized that the money I used to buy games would mostly go to the developers.

That would be in a perfect world.

I understand why developers blast piracy. The money's needed to make up for the budget. But at the same time, piracy isn't a fallback reason for lost sales. DRM and crappy services are (Origin and Ubisoft's UPlay, for example). So stop treating pirates as cheap scumbags and instead look into how to please the customers without creating frustration on their end. (Angry stare).

Now, I made a promise that I'll only pirate games that can't be found anywhere through Steam, GoG, or in my region. That way they'll see that people want to play their game and actually release it in the region I'm in.