Popular Android Dev Blasts Pirates for Forcing Him Freemium

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Popular Android Dev Blasts Pirates for Forcing Him Freemium

Last week developer Rabas made his game free-to-play, and now he explains why.

You may recall that Dead Trigger - the zombie gun-fun app from Madfinger Games - went free-to-play on Android last week [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118653-Unbelievably-High-Android-Piracy-Drives-Dev-to-Free-To-Play], and the developer cited piracy as the reason why. Madfinger CEO Marek Rabas has since gone on the record with a lengthy statement, blasting some "ridiculous myths" that he says pirates use to justify their actions.

"I think that games development is not easy job," Rabas declares, as he denies any desire on his studio's part to become the next Disney. "Yes, we love it, but as a developer you must be able to endure many things." But he gets very angry when he contemplates the piracy rate, which according to him accounts for "80% to 90% of the people [who] do not respect your hard work and steal the game."

Rabas first takes issue with the crowd who claim that, because there was no demo, they pirated in order to try before they bought. "In our case, that's simply not true. Some of our games have demos, but the piracy rate was same for games with demo as for games without." Then there's the bunch who say that they still pay for games even though they have a jailbroken device. "Then I do not understand how the number of pirates on iOS is comparable with the amount of jailbroken devices." If the number of pirates is comparable with the number of jailbroken devices then, Rabas says, the number of people legitimately purchasing on a jailbroken device can't be large. He estimates it at less than 1%.

Then there's those who say that developers should do more to make their games attractive to buyers. Frequent updates, new content and other goodies will sweeten the pot and keep customers coming back. "In my opinion, the amount of piracy is equal to how easy the pirating is, and the game developer has nothing to do with it." Rabas thinks that in an age when anyone - no matter how technically adept - can pirate at the flick of a finger, new content does nothing to prevent piracy. "[Piracy is] definitely more easy than setting up an account on iTunes or Google Play, filling out large forms and answering all security questions."

Rabas knows he's not going to be popular for saying it, but he's tired of making games for the 80% to 90%, the players who say they love games like his but who aren't prepared to pay for them. He hopes the companies who make the hardware will do their bit to help the market become secure, but for the moment he thinks his only option is to go freemium. [http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dead-trigger/id533079551?mt=8]. He'd rather do that and anger the hardcore players than go broke. "What would you do, if you have to take care about your family, employees, etc?"

The full text of Rabas' statement can be found here. [http://www.gamezebo.com/news/2012/08/01/piracy-and-premium-vs-freemium-madfinger-games-developers-dilemma]

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-03-dead-trigger-dev-i-do-not-believe-that-piracy-can-be-stopped]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Someone did tell him that his games will be cracked no matter what right? F2P is the solution in his case and if he utilizes it correctly then they'll be raking in tons of dough.

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
Welcome to the Publisher's bandwagon, refreshments are served 24 hours a day in the buffet cart.

Perhaps if he hadn't decided a paid app, that then withheld the good weapons, and other bits for people willing to pay extra, he may have found the market a little more forgiving. (I use iOS, so my experience is based on the App Store version of Dead Trigger which at the time was $4.99, and charged for gold, and automatic weapons.)

You made two mistakes. One, charging for half a game and expecting people to pay even more for the rest of it. Two, releasing on Android, an OS you should have known is open, and should have known it has a massive piracy problem.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Cry moar, your tears are delicious.

The question isn't how many people pirated, the question is how many people purchased. If not enough people bought for you to stay in business then quit. Don't whine about it, just quit and find another job. Let other suckers make the fun games you want to play. Business programming/project management pays more and is less stressful than developing games.

Making people buy half the game then selling them the other half through pushy in-game stores is scummy and doesn't deserve a reward. I hope this guy gets out of the business, he obviously can't hack it.

Pilkingtube

Edible
Mar 24, 2010
Was going to say 'Inb4 pirates slamming a guy who's working hard to make a game complaining that lots of people are stealing it'

However pirates and pirate defenders are so quick off the mark to attack anybody who critiques or complains about what happens, it's impossible. :(

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Blablahb said:
That guy is ridiculous. The 'try before you buy' piracy exists, demos or not. The blame for that lies squarely with game publisher's and retailer's policies of 'fuck you consumer, no refunds ever'.

I mean, would you pay ? 50 to purchase a plain box with unknown content that contains 'a game' that may or may not work and may or may not be enjoyable? No, you wouldn't. And gamers as a whole are no exception to this sentiment. I do feel that the effect of buying a game you already downloaded for free is also overestimated, but the high prices and no returning or refunding policies are definately contributing to piracy.

Also, like others pointed out, the guy tried to sell half games for full price. People don't like being scammed like that, so his business got sunk over it. That's how it works.
BLAH BLAH, the same old tried justification for theft. I only robbed the bank because they wouldn't lend me the money to by a Ferrari. If you don't like something don't buy it and he will soon got out of business. If you like it enough to steal a half game the you can pay for it. Anything else amoral bullshit.

Stripes

May 22, 2012
So who was saying piracy benefitted the industry? If you still think that your delusional, pirates are mostly scum who cannot justify their actions.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
Piracy is surely less of a problem on iOS - on Android, well I can only agree that piracy is a huge concern, it stops developers even targetting the Android platform.

I will say though, that Dead Trigger didn't feel too bad, I got some 'gold' to buy the nice weapons, it didn't feel like the game was being held to ransom - I'd happily pay a few quid for the game if it wasn't freemium, more than I spent on 'gold' for sure.

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
Between this and all the feminism threads, I'm starting to believe that a large portion of the Escapist community has no capacity to take criticism. Justify piracy all you want, you do it because it's free. If you had to pay a dollar each time you pirated a game, all your excuses would evaporate.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
I personally hold no real sympathy for someone who makes yet another hackneyed zombie FPS, charges 5 dollars for it with no demo and then tries to charge more for more perks. I didn't buy nor pirate it, but it's strange how through the whole rant he never says what is wrong with "freemium" and why it's so horrible to go to it. It's become the norm on Android for a reason, and quality games that do it right make shittons of money on it.

In business, you adapt, you don't endlessly ***** and moan about people taking the path of least resistance to get your game and expect the government to swoop in and bail you out by passing censorship laws or expect people to just change because you "debunked" them.

targren

May 13, 2009
hentropy said:
I didn't buy nor pirate it, but it's strange how through the whole rant he never says what is wrong with "freemium" and why it's so horrible to go to it.
Technically, he does. See, he wanted to charge people to buy the game AND for the "Freemium" style perks. And now he can't double-dip!

I'm sure if I tried very, very hard, I could give less of a fuck about this guy's whinging. But I don't give enough of a fuck to put in the extra effort.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
rembrandtqeinstein said:
The question isn't how many people pirated, the question is how many people purchased.
Actually, that is the question: How many people are PLAYING THE GAME, with or without paying? See, that tells us that the game is good enough that people want to play it. If a game was truly awful, or just boring and uninteresting, people wouldn't play it.

If someone goes out of their way to pirate a game and play it, the only reasonable conclusion to draw is that they are interested in the game. And if they're playing on a pirated copy, that means they enjoy it enough to continue playing. Any other conclusion is just blindly ignoring reason.

The Plunk said:
I would also like to see proof that the majority of people who pirated the game would have bought it if they couldn't have pirated it.
But that burden of proof isn't on him. He made the product. It's his. So anyone that HAS the product that didn't PAY him for the product is clearly in the wrong. See, by downloading and using the product, they've made a clear statement: "I am interested in this game."

Which assumption makes more sense? A: Someone goes out of their way to illegally download and spend time playing a game in which they have no interest, or B: Someone is interested in a game, but before they can see the price tag, they find out they can just get it for free. People don't go out of their way to get things they're not interested in, but people LOVE to get stuff for free.

To in any way conclude that the majority of pirated copies are not some kind of lost sale? It's borderline psychotic in its complete disregard for reality.

As I've said before,
1) No one ever blames bad sales on the product being shit anymore, it's always some scapegoat or another like "piracy" or "used sales".
2) There are so many free-to-play games on the Android market that no one is going risk spending money on what may or may not be a shit game.
And do you know what the proper solution is to either of those? Don't play the game. If the game is crap, or you suspect it might be crap, just go with one of the many other games. If you don't like the developer's business practice? Go support another developer.

The fact that these pirates can't just walk away from the game is even further proof that they very much want it. It's just they want it for free. It has nothing to do with the quality of the game (Check the data -- better games get pirated more). It has nothing to do with the business practices of the developer. There are only two factors:

1. They want the game.
2. They can get it for free.

And that's it. Those are the only two facts. If you choose to bring any other element into this, the burden of proof is on you.

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
The Plunk said:
I would like to see some proof that 80-90% of people pirated his game. Other than "It made 80-90% less money than we predicted".

I would also like to see proof that the majority of people who pirated the game would have bought it if they couldn't have pirated it.

As I've said before,
1) No one ever blames bad sales on the product being shit anymore, it's always some scapegoat or another like "piracy" or "used sales".
2) There are so many free-to-play games on the Android market that no one is going risk spending money on what may or may not be a shit game.
You do know that the Android is notorious for high piracy rates right? Because it is an open platform? Most games have to be free to play to be able to make any money because of piracy. Just because you want to seem all tough denying piracy as a problem, it is. More so on the Android.

Hell, heres another article about the same problem.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118653-Unbelievably-High-Android-Piracy-Drives-Dev-to-Free-To-Play

Even ANDROID ITSELF acknowledges the piracy problem.

"This isn't the first time the Android platform has been recognized for its piracy problems. Even outside of the occasional console emulator, official apps can see anywhere from 5 to 9 illegal downloads per legitimate purchase. The open-source nature of Android seems to make piracy harder to combat compared to other operating systems, as noted by the fact that Dead Trigger's iOS version still requires a 99 cent purchase."

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
The Plunk said:
I would like to see some proof that 80-90% of people pirated his game. Other than "It made 80-90% less money than we predicted".

In regards to figuring out rate of piracy, it's kind of easy with things such as mobile games. Dead Trigger features several online features, such as Twitter/Facebook updates and in-app purchases, things that indicate that someone plays the game. From there it's easy to figure out by pure numbers in regards to how many people are playing the game versus how many people bought the game. I'm not sure how much really did pirate, but at the same time whatever percentage did pirate is actually from an easy to see correlation, not as you said a drop in expected sales.

As I've said before,
Sometimes the scapegoat of piracy exists for a reason: it doesn't always happen, but sometimes you get the odd game, often digital games, that piracy actually has a negative effect on, enough so that other games go free-to-play from the start in order to avoid the potential of piracy ruining sales. Dead Trigger is one of those rare games where piracy actually may have had a negative effect.

That isn't an excuse. If you can afford an Android then you can afford to pay a dollar for a game. If you think the game may be shit and don't want to waste the dollar, then don't play it. You can't just turn around and play it for free because "It may be shit", since if you think it may be shit, you shouldn't try to go out and play it. This is an excuse maybe to bring demos to the Android store, but not to pirate games

If it makes no difference to the sale figures, what does it matter? Who are you to enforce your morality onto others?
Because with the exception of maybe "I can't get this game in my country legally anyways, so piracy is the ONLY way I can play it", there is no other justification for piracy. Even if it doesn't affect sales figures for certain games, it's still piss-poor behavior. If you can afford the console/device necessary to play the game, you can afford to play the game. If you can't afford to play it, either save up money or don't play the game.

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
I don't think piracy killed his game. I think making a derivative, sub-par, genre-heavy shooter with an overt money extraction mechanism was a terrible idea.