Portal 2 is "Absolutely the Best" Game Valve Has Ever Made

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Ooooooooooh, you called out the Half-Life series. That raises my expectations greatly. I have no doubt that this game will be great, but better than Half-Life 2 and its episodes? In my book that's a lot to live up to. If Portal 2 does that, then I will be amazed.

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
i love Valve, and all, but i'm calling bullshit. they seriously need to stop letting their employees say stupid shit about this game, and just focus on making their hilarious commercials. i still haven't recovered from that one guy claiming that Portal 2 was their "most innovative game". yeah... sequels can be innovative. i also have a bridge for sale if anyone believes that.
for the record, i've pre-ordered the game, and i'm sure i'll love it, but i seriously hate the stupidity they're spouting about it.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
CheckD3 said:
I feel like while the game will be good because it's Valve, the game won't match the original because of expectations. When the first Portal came out, no one expected a super game.

Expectations can make a quietly released game the Game of the Year, and make an over hyped game turned into a good game that didn't live up to the high expectations that everyone expected of the game
IE halo reach (the over hyped game turned into a good game that didn't live up to expectations)

Freechoice

Dec 6, 2010
C2Ultima said:
I'll take a leaf out of Yahtzee's book and just assume that Portal 2 will be terrible. That way, it might come as a pleasnt surprise when it turns out to be the opposite.
Easily the best course of action.

Sniper Team 4 said:
Ooooooooooh, you called out the Half-Life series. That raises my expectations greatly. I have no doubt that this game will be great, but better than Half-Life 2 and its episodes? In my book that's a lot to live up to. If Portal 2 does that, then I will be amazed.
I can only think of Monkey Island being an amusing puzzle game with lots of humor being able to say it would be Lucas Arts/Telltale Games' greatest thing evar. Half Life at least lets you shoot stuff.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Quesa said:
Wow, the Valve guy is even higher on the Valve game than the THQ guy was on the THQ game; it must be spectacular!
I always thought my 5th grade book report for The Hobbit is the best 5th grade book report I ever made.

kane.malakos

Jan 7, 2011
Jamboxdotcom said:
i love Valve, and all, but i'm calling bullshit. they seriously need to stop letting their employees say stupid shit about this game, and just focus on making their hilarious commercials. i still haven't recovered from that one guy claiming that Portal 2 was their "most innovative game". yeah... sequels can be innovative. i also have a bridge for sale if anyone believes that.
for the record, i've pre-ordered the game, and i'm sure i'll love it, but i seriously hate the stupidity they're spouting about it.
Sequels can be innovative. Half-Life 2 springs to mind...

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
kane.malakos said:
Jamboxdotcom said:
Sequels can be innovative. Half-Life 2 springs to mind...
well, fair enough. i actually don't have a problem with calling it innovative, so much as i have a problem with them putting a superlative on that. by definition, a sequel cannot be more innovative than the original. if that were possible, the universe might implode.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
DiMono said:
Andy Chalk said:
"We never could have guessed that it would have taken off the way it has," he added. "We didn't invent the game with this in mind. We just wanted to create a good game, with good environments and a cool world, and go from there."
And that is why it worked.
Fact Man spits Facts at a rate of 200fps
(Facts Per Second)

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
I will wait and see. I am slowly getting excited for it, but I am not going to get it at the midnight launch here. I am getting Mortal Kombat, a game I am much more excited for. Portal 2 will probably be really good. I just don't really care about it right now. So I will get it when I have money for it.

EDIT: I just noticed I have 1337 posts. Heh.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
the real metric is if YAHTZEE will elevate Portal2 above Portal.

If he does, than this man is correct that it is the best damn single player game valve has ever made XD

darkman80723

Jul 1, 2009
I was never really THAT excited for this game. Actually when I first heard about it I was hoping that it would be part of another bundle like the first Portal was (get like HL3, Portal 2, and maybe an HLepisode or LFD expansion idk). But Ill admit I am looking forward to it and am willing to give Valve the benifit of the doubt here. Hopefully it is nearly as good as the first thoug I strongly doubt it will be better, I just feel it wont have the novelty of the originality of the first.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Considering my opinion of the Valve games I've played up to this point, making a game better than all of them isn't a very daunting task.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
The amount of hype this game is getting is worrying.... Lets also add into the fact that because Portal was good Portal 2 will be the second coming....but I doubt it...

Colonel Alzheimer's

Jan 3, 2010
I am so unbelievably hyped for this game that when the news came that it might come out a few days early, I giddily giggled to myself for several minutes.
Also, when they announced pre-loading was available I had pretty much the exact same response. And that was for pre-loading!
Valve needs to stop talking about this game before I explode.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
Outright Villainy said:
meganmeave said:
Well, I can say this about Portal 2. When I'm watching something I DVR'd, then I get to the commercials and fast forward, I always, always rewind if I see those two little robot guys flip by.

In other words, I am looking forward to this.
Similarly for me, if I'm watching some video online, and I'm like "God damn forced ads, no on wa... Ooh, Portal 2!"

I have a feeling this will be one of the very few times hype won't kill the game. Valve have proven they can deliver.
My dorm room internet is really bad so usually the adds run out of time as they try to buffer. These portal adds are the only ones that make me wish this didn't happen.