Portal 2 - Is it REALLY worth it?

XSin

Jul 21, 2009
I would recommend renting it for console if you have one or borrowing one for the night if you don't. It's worth the purchase but why not pay 5% of the price and get through the story in a night. You can always buy it on sale later and you get the great experience now :)

I actually went back and played Portal 1 afterwards and found it had lost its shine, the setpieces and humour in P2 is just better, P1 sets the scene and P2 makes full use of it.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Rent it

About 90% of today's games are....not worth the $60

" due to having a damn child that needs something every 5 seconds so the little money I do have spare I like to make sure I spend it wisely."

kinda harsh...?

Condoms help....should have bought some and some Portal 2

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I did not regret the money I spent on it. So far I have almost 30 hours in it from replaying the singleplayer and beating co-op.

tomme69

Dec 13, 2009
id say if you unsure , wait for a steam sale , but it is totally unique amazing game and its defiantly worth the money :3

Captain Pirate

Nov 18, 2009
I don't think it's worth $60/£40, but that's just me. I'm pretty skint, so I guess it changes my point of view; if you have the money spare, go for it, but in my case I have waaay less than £40 and I need a new phone, so I'll wait until later in the year and hope it's price has gone down.
I'll pay maximum of £20 for it.
I don't care how good it is, if it's only really good for 2 campaigns that are the exact same each time, I'm not prepared to pay that much.
I've learnt my lesson from Bulletstorm, and will now only pay £40 for games that are replayable, and have multiple modes.
That's mainly due to how much money I can get in a year, however.
When I'm older and have a proper income, I'll be getting more games with spare money.

dogenzakaminion

Jun 15, 2010
Honestly...If cash is tight and especially with a child in play, just give it a few months. The price will drop and while it is great and a must if you liked the first Portal, it's nothing you can't go without for a few months. Wait til the DLC comes out in summer and you'll get a double burst of Portal goodness.

Player Two

Dec 20, 2010
One word: Absolutely.

Honestly, it will only last you one day, but ye gods - what a day! It is a gaming experience that is worth every cent of your money.

Porecomesis

Jul 10, 2010
Well, I bought my copy in Australia for $80. It was still worth it.

So, how is the game? Have you bought it yet?

Ren3004

In an unsuspicious cabin
Jul 22, 2009
I'm liking it so far. Granted, I only got it yesterday so I don't yet have a grasp of how long the game is or how hard it's going to get. But if money is short then maybe you should wait or find a cheaper alternative.

EDIT: I forgot I had this avatar... Quite appropriate.

senorfatso

Jul 26, 2008
If you are gonna spend £40 on any game with limited replay value, it should be this one. I understand your money blight; the game won't give you 100 hours of entertainment, so it comes down whether or not you handle the fact the game is out there being awesome and you are not playing it. Personally, that was too much to bear.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Absolutely. If your significant other already has shoes, then buy this game, because you only ever need one pair of shoes.

Unless the money is hers. In that case, it's hers and you shouldn't. But if the money is yours then YES. BUY IT. An hours worth of shouting is nothing compared to hours of really high quality fun. Don't listen to those who moan that the game lasts only 4 hours - for most people, it lasts about 7 hours the first time through, and that's just the single player.

[.redacted]

Jan 24, 2010
Lukeje said:
You could always buy two copies, one for you and one for your girlfriend...
This, some of the most fun I've had in a long time =D

Hurt my savings, but worth it, I think.

Appleshampoo

Sep 27, 2010
slackbheep said:
Portal 2 will without a doubt end up being one of the best games released this year, that said I think it might be hard to justify the investment given you're a little pressed for cash at the moment you'd probably get more enjoyment total out of a longer game with more open ended multiplayer or sandbox elements.

Also in the name of sharing if the OP or anyone else a little strapped for cash hasn't played Mass Effect 2 yet I and surely other posters in this thread have a free copy to give away, just toss me a PM.
That's very kind of you, however I already have Mass effect 2. Two copies actually. All I got was an email saying thanks for buying Dragon age 2, and a DLC code. I was like 'Ooo, free DLC' and used it in the EA download manager and then realised it was a free copy of Mass effect 2 :(

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
it'll soon be the best $30 i spend ... gamestop deal for pc portal2 starting today. check your local store ... $30!