Portal 2 - Is it REALLY worth it?

SpaceSpork

May 15, 2009
Depends on how busy you are. Do you think that your family could collapse with a $60 expenditure? If not, then yes. If so . . . you need to re-think your life.

Andrew_Mac

Feb 20, 2011
Thought i'd ask people who would know.
My parents are going to wales for about 4 days and i'm in need of a game to keep me amused for that time. My question is, which is better for that length of time: portal 2 or mortal kombat 9?

i've never played portal1 and never played any of the mortal kombats (except deadly alliance) but i'm a fan of both genres. I also have a PS3 and £40 to spend. so, which is worth it out of them two, or can you suggest another game to keep me occupied? (i've already got crysis 2 before anyone suggests it.)

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
if money is the issue i would wait because despite being truly awesome the game is rather short

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Jezzascmezza said:
I'd say... Yes.
It is worth it.
Because it's sold out at every damn games store in my area (I guess that's what I get for being overseas at the time of a big game release.)
The huge amount of people who caused it to be sold out thought it was worth it, that's for sure.
Problem there is sales don't mean the game is good. MW2 sold like crazy and when I rented it I thought it was horrible.

e.wlmo4

Oct 9, 2010
Hold off for about 6 months when you should be able to get it for half the price as valve games hold value about as well as bioware games and it will be the Christmas shopping season by then

iJosh

Nov 21, 2007
Definitely worth the money. But .. You have a child? And you don't have your priorities set yet? You must be a child yourself. Lolz.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
samwd1 said:
Appleshampoo said:
This isn't a massive deep discussion of Portal 2 or anything, just a simple question.

I loved Portal 1, it was great, however at the moment money is pretty low for me due to having a damn child that needs something every 5 seconds so the little money I do have spare I like to make sure I spend it wisely.

So is Portal 2 worth the purchase? Is it worth the hour of shouting my girlfriend will do when she finds out I've wasted her shoe money on buying a game?
hell, depends how old your child is, you could play together.

if you like portal 1 youll like portal 2 because it has more puzzles with different items to solve them with.

I dunno about singleplayer but multiplayer co-op is a hoot so if you like very complex portal puzzles that require another player, then seems like a good purchase.
Felt the puzzles was to easy on co-op. Should give out some dlc(free or pay) with more advanced puzzles.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
I was going to wait until it gets cheaper, but meh the longer you leave it, the more likely that the plot gets spoiled for you. if you're just in it for the portal based fun times and dont care about spoilers, leave it for now.

It was the best game ive played in a hell of a long time. Id say its worth it.

kristof

Jul 1, 2010
This game is definitely worth the dollars. The dialogue is clever, funny and interesting. Everything you expect from the Valve team, the game play has been smoothed out some what, the puzzles are sufficiently challenging but at the same time not mind numbingly impossible. Hell, the ending alone is worth it (I wont spoil it for those who haven't played through yet). On top of all that we get to see quite a bit deeper into Apertures history and how Glados came to be. All up it's one of the best, most exciting and enjoyable games I've played in recent memory.

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
Mimsofthedawg said:
Appleshampoo said:
This isn't a massive deep discussion of Portal 2 or anything, just a simple question.

I loved Portal 1, it was great, however at the moment money is pretty low for me due to having a damn child that needs something every 5 seconds so the little money I do have spare I like to make sure I spend it wisely.

So is Portal 2 worth the purchase? Is it worth the hour of shouting my girlfriend will do when she finds out I've wasted her shoe money on buying a game?
my problem with portal 2 is that it feels like more of the same. It has some new cool gadgets and all that stuff, but it seems to me like a massive expansion pack of Portal 1 than anything else. Further compounding the problem is that if you play both the single and co op campaigns, it nets you around 15 hours of game play. That's $4 of entertainment per hour. However, then there's not much replay value cause you've beaten all of the puzzles. Unless you're gonna try to get all of the achievements or something, I don't see how this is worth $60 (my friend rented it and we beat the co op together). I pay $60 for games I know I'll LOVE and will offer me a better value for my money. For example, I spent around 450 hours in Oblivion. thats 13 cents an hour. I'm hoping to spend at least 300 hours in skyrim. that's 20 cents an hour.

If you look at it from that perspective... I don't think it's worth it. I mean, true, most games don't go on for 300+ hours, but the games I buy I at least expect 30 or so hours out of, between replays and/or multiplayer. I'd say it can wait till Christmas when you get that check from grandma.
Were you one of the people that complained that L4D2 should have all been free content for L4D1? I don't get why every time VALVe releases a sequel everyone complains that it's "more the same with some slight twists" yet when other companies do that it's all good. That's like the definition of a sequel, ignoring the fact that Portal 2 has more than a few new things.

It's silly to compare Portal to an RPG or FPS... Using this logic WoW is probably the best deal for your money and everyone should be playing it. I too have spent hundreds of hours in Oblivion, but does that make it a better game than Portal? I'm not sure. I may have played Portal 2 less, but the enjoyment per hour was a lot higher in Portal. Also, Portal would get so boring if you could play the single player for three hundred hours. Do you know how annoying the jokes would get? "Oh man, haven't heard that one before. Oh wait, I've heard it six times before. Haha Johnson so fahney lemon joek". Also, you don't have to deal with bugs in Portal like in all of Bethesda's games!

Better question: Why did you pay $60 for Portal 2? I got it for $40. I'm planning on replaying it for the achievements when I have less school work, but at the moment I've gotten about 15 hours out of it. That's only $2.67/hour. Obviously not as good as Oblivion, but better than your numbers. (My brother got TF2 for $20 and has logged over 2,000 hours; that's $0.01/hour. Best game ever, I guess!)

Well OP, if you haven't made your choice by now I won't sway you. But considering there's about three people who say you shouldn't as opposed to the other 95% that say you should, I think the answer is obvious; it's worth it. It doesn't have the staying power of MP or RPGs obviously, but for the amount if playability you get out of it until the inevitable free updates is great. If you see movies you can't say no to Portal 2!

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Appleshampoo said:
So yeah, screw it. I'll go buy it. Thanks guys :D
While you're at it, don't forget the free DLC.
No exact release date yet, but it?s ?this Summer?. Doesn?t Summer start on Monday? Maybe it will be Monday! (It won?t be Monday)
Valve Time activated!

See you next year for the DLC.