Portal 2 "Probably" Valve's Single-Player Swan Song

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
Valve "probably" does or thinks of doing a lot of things that never happen. Or don't until they do. Nothing from them is finalized until it's.....well, is anything they've ever done actually done and final even when it's "done?"

I think not.

Either way, this is a notoriously fickle company we're talking about, here. I take everything they say with a grain of salt, until they actually do something.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
CardinalPiggles said:
NNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dont do this valve, single player games made you famous! jumping on the single player/ multi player bandwagon doesnt mean twice as much sales, it means less time devoted to each portion.
they said this would be the last valve game with a single player portion at all. and look at portal 2, they managed to polish both portions well..

Anyways, this is either really good news, really bad news, or valve is just fucking with everyone in terms of episode 3..

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
Well, Valve, like Blizzard, can now just go and put yourselves out of business as far as I'm concerned. I'm a Yahtzeeist. Single player should stand on its own or GTFO.

Gaming King

Apr 9, 2010
Inkidu said:
Well, Valve, like Blizzard, can now just go and put yourselves out of business as far as I'm concerned. I'm a Yahtzeeist. Single player should stand on its own or GTFO.
Yahtzeeist brofist, bro.

Dr.Cereal1

Mar 30, 2011
I seriously doubt this. I really do, and they said "could" anyways.
If Half Life 3 comes with an extra multiplayer feature along with its singleplayer, alrighty then.

thenoblitt

May 7, 2009
if half life 3 has a multiplayer part of it i wont care that much, if it becomes like anyone can join in when im playing single player then i might be a little bit pissed

ShinningDesertEagle

Oct 14, 2009
Theysaid said:
"Portal 2 will probably be Valve's last game with an isolated single-player experience."

Portal 2 also has two-player co-op, so to me that statment means no more single player "campaigns", period.
Quoted because people seem to miss this over and over again throughout the thread with hostile remarks towards people who actually understand the implications of this announcement.

Emergent

Oct 26, 2010
Smart move by Valve. Getting people to play together is about the best possible way to drive sales. Word of mouth is king.

Baraka444

Apr 21, 2011
Simple solution: I just won't buy Valve games anymore. Problem solved.

It seems quite weird considering Half-life saved us from the horrors of Quake Arena, and Unreal Tournament. Then it held me close and told me everything was going to be alright now, but it never will be will it? (sob)

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
I'd really hate to see Valve stop making single player games. After all my gaming bread and butter is the single player experience.

I actually just finished Portal 2 and I gotta say it was everything I'd hoped it would've been and more. I haven't played a single-player game that good in years, and god was it refreshing. Now I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Portal 2 be the ultimate conclusion to the series as I feel they left it in a very tidy state at the end.

As for whatever Valve puts out in the future I'll hold judgment on it's quality until it actually appears.

pwnzerstick

Mar 25, 2009
Seriously guys, calm down, episode 3 will be primarialy single player, and it will be awsome. This post did get me thinking, maybe Freeman/Alex co-op... who knows?

jovack22

Jan 26, 2011
Valve is right that multiplayer is important, but some games need a strong single player.

Portal needs a single player. Multi player was great, maybe as good or better than single, but multi did not tell a good story.

Half life and counter strike complemented each other perfectly.
Half life deathmatch was pretty silly imo.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
JourneyThroughHell said:
Oh, no. Not the horrors of multiplayer. Whatever shall we do?

Sober Thal said:
Thanks for caring so much. /sarcasm
Caring about what, exactly? Here's a hint. Valve's a business. They "care" about money.
Apparently they started out because they truly wanted to make good games, since the founders' times at Microsoft made them millionaires overnight - they literally had no reason to do anything for money anymore. So, even though Valve does have a huge PR and legal team who's key interest is reimbursing losses and such, the idea that all they want to do is to make good games for customers is... half true.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
This sucks.

As someone without a roommate, girlfriend, sibling, or other individual I can play co-op games with on a regular basis, the sentiment that single-player games have somehow become obsolete fills me with rage.

Especially when I consider a dark, dark future where I will have no choice but to play games with people like this:

<youtube=Ag1hFak1Du0>

But I guess nobody cares about people like me. Guess I'll have to find a new hobby.