Portal 2 Review

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
...Ohhh man! Do I want spoilers or do I want to find everything out myself on my own time? Ahhhh! I was determined to wait a few years for the price to drop!

Avaloner

Oct 21, 2007
Jumpingbean3 said:
Quellist said:
Looking forward to the gibs flying when Yahtzee reviews this...
What is it with people recently assuming Yahtzee's going to hate everything (that is what you were implying right?)
Well tomorrow we will see alot of "why didn't you do portal 2" spamming his video I guess.

Other than that I just replayed the game... yeah I know its just around 8 hours, but it has a perfect time, any longer would either mean introducing more puzzles or bore people.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
I can only echo the sentiments that the PC version loads very fast between levels. My loading times between each level were all about 5-10 seconds, which is completely acceptable imho.
I do agree that they come a bit too frequently, however.

The game also ran extremely well on my old PC. I got an Nvidia 8800 GTS and Intel Core2Quad Q6600, and the game self-configured nearly all settings to "high", but despite that i got no slowdowns whatsoever.

As for the difficulty, I'd say it was slightly harder than the first game. My game time, substracting food & bathroom breaks, clocked in at about 9h 30 mins.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Just beat the game a few minutes ago. Beautiful game! And wonderful ending! Won't spoil, but I had a blast playing! Totally worth the wait. Sure its only about 6 hours or so for the main story, but the first one was about 2. You also get the benifit of a co-op online mode so it will extend your replayability a bit. I forgot if there were challanges... but still, plenty to do, and you can always come back later just for the hell of it. Definatly worth the buy.

NathLines

May 23, 2010
Holy balls, that was awesome. I just finished singleplayer. I didn't like where the story was going, but it fixed itself perfectly. Gameplaywise, it's more Portal; just like I wanted. Man, my head is spinning. I've finished both the singleplayer and co-op.

Co-op is also great. It's more to the point(solving test chambers) than the singleplayer. It worked remarkably well to play with another person. Now I'm just hoping for loads of custom maps and stuff.

The ONLY downside for me were the frequent loading screens. It destroys the immersion quite a bit. They loaded quickly though.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
Easier puzzles is a nonstarter for me - aside from the humor the puzzles were what made the original Portal so incredible.

A discount bin purchase it is!

Fingerthing

Mar 19, 2010
First issue.

Why did almost ALL of the footage you use for the video review was in the last chapter? Warn with spoilers at the very least as Portal 2 largely relies on it's "surprise factor" (much like the first one)

Second issue.

The puzzles really aren't that easy. You won't get frustrated, no, just challenged.

Third issue.

Xbox review for a pc/ps3 game? Just don't, mkay?

Plus. SCIENCE!

Raeil

Nov 18, 2009
i don said:
What's up with the potato being stuck to the gun's claw?
It's a potato. I hear they are actually good suppliers of energy.

The full answer is a spoiler and is rather humorous, so I will leave that to you to look up if you really want to know the major plot event of the second third of the game.

Kakkoi

Jun 14, 2010
I've heard that the PC version has much slower wait times. And I'm on the PS3 and I barely notice them. So maybe it's just a 360 thing?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Interesting that people don't think it's easier. The first third - the story mode is definitely chopped into thirds, btw - is mind-numbingly easy. Perhaps not if you didn't play the first game, though...so maybe it was intended as an introduction for complete newbies?

The co-op is loads of fun, though, I highly recommend it. :)

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
SCIENCE!!!
I'm a bit disappointed by the 4/5, was hoping this would be like the second coming. I will still see the world as B.P. and A.P.

Howlingwolf214

Dec 28, 2008
I was playing on the PC and didn't have any problems with loading times at all, bar the very first loading screen after starting a new game. It only took a few seconds to load between maps.

I thought Portal 2 improved on the original in many ways. At the very basic level, the overgrown rooms and collapsing environments are a lot more interesting than Portal's primarily White and Grey levels.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
She blinded me with... wait I forgot.

Sounds like about what I expected. Time to que the massive QQ saying its not as good as the original from all the people who over-hyped Portal for so long.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
OutrageousEmu said:
Susan Arendt said:
Interesting that people don't think it's easier. The first third - the story mode is definitely chopped into thirds, btw - is mind-numbingly easy. Perhaps not if you didn't play the first game, though...so maybe it was intended as an introduction for complete newbies?
Easier than the first half or portal? The two serve the same function of an extended tutorial, so is the first third of Portal 2 easier than the first hald of Portal?
The first third of Portal 2 is easier than the first half of Portal, yes. It's just too easy to go on as long as it does, though, again, I say that as someone who played the first one. Ideally, you should be able to skip it, but if you did that, you'd miss out on some fun moments and Wheatley shenanigans. Maybe should've just made it a few levels shorter. For me, the game doesn't really start to become interesting until the middle third, when you meet Cave Johnson (so to speak).

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Canadish said:
Paragon Fury said:
Wait...so Portal 2 gets 4 stars, but DAII got 5 stars?

What the hell happened here?
Money dear boy.
Valve doesn't strike me as the type of company to threaten/bribe a website for a good review.
EA does.

Otherwise, the footage looks nice, might pick this one up.
I'll have a look at a few more reviews first though. Not sure I can trust the Escapist anymore for honest reviews.
Besides the fact that we've never sold a review. EA is the retail distributer for Portal 2, so you're kind of defeated by your own statement on that one.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
UltraXan said:
"Reviewed with Xbox360 version"

What? No, no no no no no no no. You fucked up already! The 360 version is the WORST version you could buy! I was playing it last night (and I'm gonna continue playing it when I get back home) and while I do agree that there is WAY more loading, it took no more than 10 seconds at a time for me. I only went 30 minutes in before it was 1:30 in the morning and decided to go to sleep, and I love it already!
Why? Can someone please tell me what is so terrible about the 360 version? I mean, that's the version of the original Portal I own. Are the PC and 360 versions actually different games, or is this just another PC gamer bias about how console controls are inferior to keyboard or some crap like that?

Honestly, I don't really give a flying fornication if I have to wait five seconds longer in the console version; that doesn't make it inferior.