Portal 2 Screens Feature Return of a Cubic Companion

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
-Zen- said:
manythings said:
I've never gotten the big deal about the companion cube. I had it for about 6 minutes before the end of that section.
This. It's a box with a heart on it. Big whoop.
It's just a long running joke sort of thing. It's not really a big deal, it's just, ya know, a silly joke.

OT: It looks hard as hell! Man, Portal 1 was hard enough for me.

JonnyMonroe said:
Theres no little girl hiding out in the ventilation system talking about how they only come at night.
Well, mostly

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
...It's a box. It does not speak. It does not offer companionship. If offers button-pushing weight, and an amount of solid matter to put between you and bullets. When required to drop it down a shaft, that I might escape, I dropped it down a shaft. This is not a Wilson supposition, where an inanimate object offers communication and companionship for a bereaved individual. I am baffled by the amount of connection a painting on a cube has offered. And, hey, look, there's a whole parade of "The cake might be a lie, but the cube is forever!" nonsense coming. Oh, joy.

Tilted_Logic

Apr 2, 2010
My response to picture 13 sounded a lot like...
That.

Game looks beautiful, can't wait until April.

FlayD

Dec 11, 2009
It should be noted that at least some of these aren't actually screenshots. That's not to say they're fake - they might just be mockups - but don't expect to see them in game.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6771672/gamersmint.png

SOURCE: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1774948

Grabbin Keelz

Jun 3, 2009
All the snapshots are great....but that last one. What is that? Thats not Aperture science at all, its something else completely.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
mjc0961 said:
ShaggyEdiddy214 said:
Well I guess companian cube is *puts on sunglasses* Still Alive.
YYEEEAAAAAAAAHHH!!!
That wasn't even a pun. That's -1 internet for using that annoying meme in the first place, and another -1 internet for using it incorrectly. You just lost two internets.
Well, it is sort of, in the context of Portal. Still, not one of the best, I'm afraid to say. Not up there with Mordin's effort anyway. Also, who knows what is going on in image 13. Doesn't seem to scan with the Portal aesthetic. Actually almost looks a bit more Mass Effet than anything else, if you ask me.

In closing, for using the concept of "losing 2 internets" you lose something much, much more important than that. What it is though, you will be left to figure out for yourself.

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
I thought they were planing on having no references to the original Portal in this game. Though I hope we get to see what is in the cubes, both weighted storage and weighted companion varieties.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Good, now we can expect for something even bigger and better. And more annoying of course...

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
The companion cube meme has stuck around because it's brilliant. On the one level, it's a moronically ill-informed attempt by Glados to test your attachment to an inanimate object if there's a heart slapped on. On the next level, it's the developers testing your attachment to an object by half-heartedly telling you you're attached to it, linking it with humor in your mind, and then asking you to destroy it. And it's surprisingly effective.

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
teknoarcanist said:
The companion cube meme has stuck around because it's brilliant. On the one level, it's a moronically ill-informed attempt by Glados to test your attachment to an inanimate object if there's a heart slapped on. On the next level, it's the developers testing your attachment to an object by half-heartedly telling you you're attached to it, linking it with humor in your mind, and then asking you to destroy it. And it's surprisingly effective.
QFT

I find it hilarious how people are whining how the "cube is just a box". I'm not calling you people stupid or anything but how hard is it to understand that it being "just a box" was the point of the whole thing? You're not actually supposed to relate to the cube, Glados just tells you that you are. It's a joke, not rocket science.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
Noooooo don't remind me! I'm still not over the loss! -cries-

Oh, that game will be great.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
Why doesn't that companion cube have hearts on it?

I'm betting that isn't a companion cube, and that it isn't actually anywhere in the game.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I thought Wheatley was like the new Companion cube.
Ya know, the Companion Cube.
THE ONE YOU MURDERED.

lowkey_jotunn

Feb 23, 2011
manythings said:
I've never gotten the big deal about the companion cube. I had it for about 6 minutes before the end of that section.
You euthanized your faithful Companion Cube more quickly than any test subject on record. Congratulations.

Zukhramm

Jul 9, 2008
How I hate the companion cube. Actually I don't. But I hate how it and "the cake is a lie" just keep being repeated. How a good game is reduced to mentions of a couple of things from the game.

Had GLADoS not constantly talked about how much I cared about the cube, I might have actually started to care, but since she kept bringing attention to a supposed bonding with a plastic cube, it turned out to be impossible for me. I thought that was the joke, GLADoS talking as if you cared when you clearly did not.

Why do I care

Jan 13, 2010
*SPOILERS* (Probably)

Look at the achievements of the game and look at "Preservation of Mass."

Solved it.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
MelasZepheos said:
Seriously, the more I hear about this game the more I am convinced it can't be good, and I'm almost looking forward to the fanboy rage when they realise that it will never live up to their expectations.
Well the good news is that Valve has a history of making games that suck terribly and that people cannot help but hate.

I am of course pointing out that the flaw in your prejudice is that it's a company fairly famous for making solid titles and sequels (albeit painfully slow but solid).

Withall

Jan 9, 2010
OMG! Companion Cube! The cake is a truth! No, just kidding. Right. Companion cube is back. Woo. Maybe we get to fling it into an laser beam this time around.