Portal Playing Dad Frustrates to No End

NeoShai

May 1, 2009
My dad and I beat ME2, ME1, GOW2 and Resident Evil 5 together.

OT: Well, at least he is trying to take an interest in what his son is doing, which is good. Good on him.

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
MasAcERd said:
Nice to see a dad who isn't game savvy taking an interest in what his kid is doing
Yeah, if this is totally serious, then I must applaud his effort. I mean this seems like the bottom of the barrel here with how much progress he makes, but he IS playing.

Zom-B

Feb 8, 2011
Baresark said:
The experience shows us how some people's brains just aren't wired to play games. Growing up playing Pac-Man or Super Mario Bros. gives you those skills. Growing up playing Ball-in-a-Cup doesn't.
This is indeed a series of pretty funny videos. But the assessment of the author shows how little he knows about the human brain. I don't know what the profession of the father is, but he is simply learning a new interaction that did not previously exist to him. All people would look equally as idiotic in that situation. He sees hydraulics and assumes that is what must be manipulated. The portal gun exists outside reality and is not something someone with practical real world experience would not readily know how to manipulate without at least a little thought. Gamers take stuff like that for granted all the time. Really, his assumption that the hydraulics must be manipulated can be taken as either a failing of the developers, or taken as a strong example of realism in the game. It's more like the father is used to exclusively linear thinking and manipulating the world in new ways such as with a portal gun is simply unknown to him before this point.
i'd actually say that you failed in your assessment, and in fact, proved the the author's statement. i mean really, you're saying the exact same thing right here:

The portal gun exists outside reality and is not something someone with practical real world experience would not readily know how to manipulate without at least a little thought. Gamers take stuff like that for granted all the time.

that's it right there. it's the difference between an experienced gamer and this guy's dad. growing up not having played video games does mean that your brain may not be wired to figure these puzzles out initially, but there's no reason that the brain can't be rewired.

Semudara

Oct 6, 2010
Am I the only one who isn't getting sound (except for the musical interludes)? Because this is REALLY boring without being able to hear the Dad's comments.

Chase Yojimbo

The Samurai Sage
Sep 1, 2009
In the end, it's allllll psychology... He simply didn't grow up with the programmed responses of the average game playing person of today (Basically what OT has said).

But I give this Dad an A++ for effort and success! and the kid an A+ for patience and not spilling the beans to him.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Um, no offense, but....How exactly does this qualify as news?

I mean, its a funny video and all, but....you know....It's called the Newsroom for a reason.
Even professional highly paid news channels will still air "DAW PUPPIES on a slow day"

It's universal to the profession, may as well just ride it out and wait for the 'real news'

In the mean time... Look distraction!

Yeah I get enough of this watching my mum play adventure platforming games. It's PAIN-Ful.

SIXVI06-M

Jan 7, 2011
This is one of the reasons why I don't try to shove gaming down other peoples throats - no matter how much I love gaming and no matter how much I love them; if they don't mix, don't get too hung up on it.

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
It's so horribly painful watching a puzzle I already finished.

I mean, its a funny video and all, but....you know....It's called the Newsroom for a reason.
I don't have anything to say, I just saw everyone else doing it and thought I'd jump on the bandwagon.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
Charli said:

Even professional highly paid news channels will still air "DAW PUPPIES on a slow day"

It's universal to the profession, may as well just ride it out and wait for the 'real news'

In the mean time... Look distraction!

Yeah I get enough of this watching my mum play adventure platforming games. It's PAIN-Ful.
I live in a small town in Arkansas. During the Super Bowl they actually followed around a pizza delivery driver. It was hilariously dull. They actually asked what the most popular pizza topping is. Shocker: Pepperoni. Then they treated it like it was a giant leep in technomonomolullogy that you could order pizza off teh innerweb.

Captain-Giggles

May 21, 2008
It's interesting to compare the thought patterns of a gamer and non-gamer from this, especially in the last one. Most of us would assume that the shiny barrier probably prevents stuff going through, or when the cube disintegrated the first time that that'll always happen. We've been conditioned over years of gaming to these sort of responses, but by action he finds these out, and I found that quite endearing. From what I could gather he seemed to be enjoying it as well. I consider it the same as me being asked to say, fix some pipe work or the like, I'll have no idea what's going on, but through trial and error I get there, guess that works in all walks of life.

nYuknYuknYuk

Jul 12, 2009
ddq5 said:
Well he's not thinking with portals.
It'll be fun when I reach that age and can't grasp my kids' 5-dimensional neurogramic fluxulators.
What? You don't get 5D Neuroflux? Jeez, it's common sense! Just reach out with your mind and think what you want to do! How can someone not get it?

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
Watching this makes me wonder how my own father would do...

I'm thinking probably not very well.

antman9000

Jun 13, 2008
whats up with all the comments about "this isnt new, why they posting it"... its their site, and its a magazine, which is in the url.. you ever read a magazine? if you want news, read a newspaper. you want entertainment, read a magazine.

OT: that would frustrate me so much watching someone play like that lol...

Cerity

Jun 7, 2009
Kudos to a none gamer trying to enter the world that "is belong to us" :p Now Imust show my parents so they can better understand my world.

agnosticOCD

Oct 7, 2010
Cute dad. I can see the world with different eyes now. It's surprising to see something like this for me because I know not a single adult in my place that even cares enough to talk about a video game, let alone play one, so it's kinda giving me a warm fuzzy feeling seeing that dad take interest in Portal, even if he's not that great at it.

There's hope for humanity yet, even in what most would see as the "senile" generations. <3