Post some useless trivia.

GiglameshSoulEater

Jun 30, 2010
Dom Kebbell said:
an adult human has exactly the same number of hairs on it's body as an adult gorilia.
Can't be true, because different sized people had different amounts of hair.. and also, so people are bald, etc. So as there can be a large quantity of variation in the human race, they cannot have 'exactly' the same amount.

An octopus can eat its own leg when hungry, with will later regrow. They can also squeeze through tiny spaces and are highly intelligent.

Rooster893

Mwee bwee bwee.
Feb 4, 2009
The band Creed hated their front man, Scott Stapp, so they left him and made the superior Alter Bridge.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
TrilbyWill said:
canadamus_prime said:
Adrian Neyland said:
-Dolphins are the only animal apart from humans that can experience sexual pleasure
I don't want to know how they determined that.
dolphins separate their females from the group and rape them.
theyre also known to attempt to rape human women and murder nearby human males apparently...
sorry for double-post
I said I don't want to know.

ragsmorrison

Sep 1, 2010
In a deck of playing cards, the only king without a mustache is the king of hearts. Which makes the final episode of G-Gundam a FILTHY LIAR!!!!

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
TrilbyWill said:
canadamus_prime said:
Adrian Neyland said:
-Dolphins are the only animal apart from humans that can experience sexual pleasure
theyre also known to attempt to rape human women and murder nearby human males apparently...
sorry for double-post
yes but thats like saying 'its quiet. too quiet.' or 'is anyone there?' you know that two seconds later youre going to get attacked and the cameraman is going to start headbanging.

Mrrrgggrlllrrrg

Jun 21, 2010
binnsyboy said:
Yes, however to use it, requires a very corrosive salt solution. Nobody has actually yet looked into developing something capable of sustaining that while using it as a power source. Silly scientists!
Just a word of warning, I'm about to rock this.

The Molten-Salt Reactor Experiment (MSRE) was an experimental molten-salt reactor at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) constructed by 1964, it went critical in 1965 and was operated until 1969. The MSRE was a 7.4 MW test reactor simulating the neutronic "kernel" of an inherently safe epithermal thorium breeder reactor. It used three fuels: plutonium-239, uranium-235 and uranium-233. The Uranium tetraflouride 233 was the result of breeding from thorium.

Now that you know what was being dealt with, two fissile fuels and one breeder material. Back in the 60's the fuel salt didnt cause much of a problem for the materials used for the core. The fuel salt was immune to radiation damage, the graphite was not attacked by the fuel salt, and the corrosion of Hastelloy-N was negligible.

The MSRE was, by all means, considered a great success. It gave us insights to much of how a liquid flouride reactor would work and the design was improved later, the current design in discussion is the Liquid Flouride Thorium Reactor (LFTR).

There's a little joke now even "Thorium is what Fusion wanted to be"

Ionically-bonded fluids are impervious to radiation damage and the fluid form would allow easy extraction of fission product gases, thus permitting unlimited burnup (more fuel gets used to produce energy). Another point is that the salts are actually very low corrosion and to aviod corrosion, molten salt coolants must be chosen that are thermodynamically stable relative to the materials used of construction of the reactor; that is, the materials of construction are chemically noble relative to the salts.

The general rule to ensure that the materials of construction are compatible (noble) with respect to the salt is that the difference in the Gibbs free energy of formation between the salt and the container material should be >20 kcal/(mole °C)

Now I could literally fill the entire post space with the advantages of the LFTR compared to current pressure reactors. so instead I will write a little more maybe a paragraph or two. Hard time choosing lets go with 1000 MW of electricity for one year; Uranium Fuel Cycle vs Thorium.

Starting with Uranium it takes about 800,000 tons of ore to produce 250 tons of natural uranium, of that 35 tons of enriched uranium is produced through a very costly process, 215 tons of depleted uranium sticks around, now a large plant is used and some of the fuel is "burned" much wasted, and you end up with about 35 tons of spent fuel that sits around ~10,000 years 33.4 t uranium-238, .3 t uranium-235, .3 t plutonium, and 1 t fission products.

Thorium Fuel Cycle is much different, 200 tons of ore to produce 1 ton of natural thorium for a year, the plant with the LFTR is much smaller the thorium is introduced into blanket of flouride reactor completely converts to uranium-233 and is "burned", 1 ton of fission products results of which within 10 years about 83% of fission products are stable and can be partitioned and sold off, the remaining 17% of fission products go to geologic isolation for ~300 years.

1 ton of natural thorium compared to the 250 tons of natural uranium for 1 GW for one year.

Not to mention all the other benefits thorium has to offer with the liquid flouride designs including; efficiency, safety, cost effectiveness, and so on. Man I trailed off.

Spectral Dragon

Jun 14, 2011
Seeing how some have mentioned Hitler, and art school... The venecian art school he applied to twice didn't want him. Because he was too awful at it. They DID however accept an artist that made the virgin Mary (translation error, original meaning was "young girl" not "virgin") in shit. Literal feces.

Also, most polar bears are ambidextrous, not left pawed, as that was only the first observed doing anything with its paws.

And ducks' quacks do echo, but normally, there aren't good circumstances for us to hear it.

"We swallow X spiders while sleeping every year" was created by scientists to see how stupid rumors you could make people believe on the internet.

Alien Mole

The Quite Obscure
Oct 6, 2009
The smallest unit that distinguishes meaning in phonology is called a phoneme.

The smallest unit that carries meaning in phonology is called a morpheme.

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
Tyro The Fox said:
The reason Pokemon do not die was a moral choice made by the creator of Pokemon: Satoshi Tajiri. He thought that the game would be too bloody and violent, so made them faint as a more kid-friendly alternative.
if i remember correctly in like pokemon blue and even the tv show there is a tower dedicated to dead pokemon. also the one that wears its dead mothers skull on its head.

or did you mean in combat they cant die?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
TrilbyWill said:
canadamus_prime said:
TrilbyWill said:
canadamus_prime said:
Adrian Neyland said:
sorry for double-post
yes but thats like saying 'its quiet. too quiet.' or 'is anyone there?' you know that two seconds later youre going to get attacked and the cameraman is going to start headbanging.
Yeah that's true, if you're in a horribly cliched Hollywood slasher film. ...which we're not.

FURY_007

Jun 8, 2008
Donald Pleasance, the actor who played the most famous version of Ernst Blofeld (James Bond archnemesis), later to be parodied by Dr. Evil, also played the president in John Carpenters Escape from New York, so he's been on both sides of the spectrum.

Christopher Lee, who is well known for being Scaramanga, (The Man with the Golden Gun, another Bond villain), Count Dooku, Sauron, and Count Dracula, is Ian Fleming's cousin (The Creator of James Bond)

The lead singer for Whitesnake was formerly the one of the lead singers of Deep Purple

Metal Gear Solid's Snake is partially based off Snake Plissken, the main character in the aforementioned Escape from New York

Boba Fett is based on discarded concept drawings for Darth Vader

The main bosses in Mega Man X5 are named after the five original members of Guns N Roses (in the English release)

In a Comic Book series published by Dark Horse Comics, I can't think of the name atm, Boba Fett goes toe-to-toe with Darth Vader and survives

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
Apparently Atilla the Hun died due to having a nosebleed in his sleep, resulting in him drowning in his own blood.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
The highest energy cosmic ray ever detected was named the Oh-My-God particle and had an approximate energy of 50 Joules.

Captchas are no more likely to make me buy Cillit Bang. They actually make me less likely to buy it.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
omega 616 said:

Your a new person every 7 years. The cells in your body die and are replaced the one that takes the longest is seven years.

(At least I think it's 7).
Someone's probably already corrected you, but the cells in nerve endings never duplicate or get replaced, which is what causes permanent paralysis. Bones, however, do take around 7 years to become fully replaced (I believe). Also I'm pretty sure brain cells WILL duplicate and get replaced to a certain point

Another useless trivia fact: ^That girl licking her elbow is really cute.