Pratchett Attacks Doctor Who

Kouen

Yea, Furry. Deal With It!
Mar 23, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Kouen said:
Lame Joke aside:
My problem is I have no legal way of watching it, and since Ive seen many posts on that episode here any effect would be lost on me I think sadly.
Seriously? There's enough places (Libraries, LoveFilm, Blockbuster, Dave) where you can watch it legally, and I'd be inclined to say it will STILL be good.

That's how highly I recommend it.
Im not in the UK...

Phatnpround

May 25, 2009
aiusepsi said:
For instance, for a show ostensibly about a time traveller, very few of his plots ever actually involved time travel as an integral element; time travel was just an excuse to set up a new location and scenario every week.
I agree with most of your post except that bit. That has always been the point of doctor who, rarely (except in a few end of series episodes) does time travel feature as part of the plot. This was true of the old series and I think it would get far too complicated and no where near as entertaining if the audience had to keep track of multiple timelines.

Feb 13, 2008
Kouen said:
Im not in the UK...
Then Amazon is your outlet. I know of one guy out in Eastern Europe whose picked them up from somewhere, must ask him.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-1-3-DVD/dp/B0009WB4QI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1273002187&sr=1-3

Let's face it, for 42p+P&P, you get 2 great episodes, and 2 so-so episodes. Gotta be worth it.

Axeli said:
I like Doctor Who, but yes, it is pretty darned annoying how often the writers go with deus ex machina.
Look at the writer. Davis is an ass, Moffat is a god, Cornwall is damn good, Gatiss is ok.

Fry will be awesome, Gaiman will be awesome.

Triggerhappy938

Dec 10, 2007
Flour said:
Legion said:
Quaidis said:
Pratchet needs a hobby. Like collecting buttons. Give him something better to do than look for faults in a random television program.
... Do you know who Terry Pratchett is? I have to ask because if this was sarcasm it's hard to tell.
You could have provided a TvTropes [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TerryPratchett] link for the guy you quoted.
If he knew who Pratchett is, he just lost a few hours and if he didn't then he'll learn something.
You just had to link TvTropes. There goes my day.

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
But the un-scientific angle, the non-realism, the plain wackiness, that's what makes it science fiction. That's what makes all the deus ex machinas okay, the fact that it's sci-fi. It seems to me that Mr. Pratchett is missing the point a fair bit.

meowman

Jan 25, 2010
May I say before I begin that I don't really think it's a big deal - he's not "attacking", he's "criticising" - making a point with an aim to display room for improvement. And, as Yahtzee says, we need critics or we'd be going around wearing shoes on our heads (or something to that effect, I can't remember the actual analogy). However, there are a few comments I would quite like to reply to...

Quaidis said:
Pratchet needs a hobby. Like collecting buttons. Give him something better to do than look for faults in a random television program.
Hey man, he churned out some of the best books of the last generation (and indeed this one, it's gone on so long) at a rate of over a book/year for over 20 years. He's given it up now ( I believe), but only because his Alkzheimer's means he struggles to read, let alone write. He may be fussy (this isn't the first seemingly inoffensive thing he's spoken out about) but his points are all valid, and the man is a creative genius. Give him a break.

Then again, probably the only thing in the world I will ever admit to being a 'fanboy' of is the Discworld series, so this is a very biased opinion.

manythings said:
I think people are just half reading what he said up there. He takes the same issue with Doctor Who that I take with Harry Potter.

"Oh no! X Has happened! We're DOOOOOOOMED!"
"Wait a second I just happen to have learned the EXACT spell needed to counter X in a class last week, Good thing X didn't happen 8 days ago."
"Phew Harry the world is saved."

It's just plot device use, read a discworld novel and it isn't just X and -X situations. THINGS HAPPEN IN THE WHOLE NARRATIVE. They aren't just effervescent.
Agreed. Pratchett's setups are brilliant. I like Rowling's creativity like I like Doctor Who's, but unfortunately one thing they seem to find hard is winding a solution into the plot seamlessly rather then sticking them in awkwardly.

Spaceman_Spiff said:
Sylocat said:
The solution is obvious: Terry Pratchett should write an episode for the new series, and show us all how it's done.
Exactly, in fact since Neil Gaiman is doing one too, I'd love to see a Good Omens sequel set to the backdrop of Doctor Who.
oh yes please :)

To end this post, some blatant fanboy-ism - Pratchett is the only author who can combine fantasy worthy of Tolkien, comedy worthy of Wodehouse and contemporary and classical philosophy worthy of the combined Oxford and Cambridge philosophy departments combined, all dealt out with Ivy-league level dollops of intelligence. If you hadn't read his books, do yourself a favour. May I recommend Good Omens, written by him and Neil Gaiman, another worthy author, or an early Discworld book (the later ones will assume you know things about characters, and therefor you will miss some of the references).

OK, I'll go away now, before I think of another thing to rant about him :)

Malcheior Sveth

Jul 19, 2009
To be honest, I have to agree with him. They didn't used to do the "make crap up whenever you need to" style of science nearly as much in the old Doctor Who. That's something that came in when they revived the series (even more so when Tennant took over), and it really bugs me.

secretsantaone

Mar 9, 2009
There really needs to be a set-up. The latest one had it to some degree where he changed the gravity, but with episodes where he pulls a 'oh look the Tardis/Sonic Screwdriver can solve this problem because it's from the future' on us, it gets a bit annoying. Blink was fantastic, not only because it was shit-your-pants scarey but because it was established early on that the angels couldn't look at eachother and so the ending was satisfying.
It needs Chekov's gun, something that has been established to perform a specific function being used for a specific function.

Otherwise it just feels like a bit of a cop-out.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
I wouldn't call Doctor Who a sci-fi, so i agree with Pratchett on that. I view sci-fi's as having a reasonable grounding in scientific understanding, raising themes and ideas surrounding the implications of possible events and inventions in the future. (District 9, Star Trek for exhample). Doctor Who, (and Star Wars) don't really do this, they are fantasy films aimed at entertaining people, they are not trying to be clever about future events.

Now, i don't watch a huge amount of Doctor Who, so my opinion is limited here, but to me Pratchett is just attacking the shows over reliance of "makeitupasyougalongeum". I don't know if i agree, because i don't watch the show enough, but i know where he's coming from. I've seen some pretty poor Rp'ers do it in the past and it is a bit annoying.

khoryos

Oct 27, 2008
Marmooset said:
Nivag the Owl said:
Didn't Terry Pratchett like, die? Or did he just get some serious condition.
Naw, that was Terri Schiavo.
He was diagnosed with Alzheimers a year or two ago, but he's still going strong.
And he's not wrong about the show, either - although it has gotten a lot better with Moffat in charge, the solutions to the episodes are always set up earlier on - I particularly liked the end of this week's episode, which used an element I'd completely forgotten.

Bagaloo

Sep 17, 2008
I love Pratchett, and I love Doctor Who.

I don't agree with Pratchett in this instance though; the fast paced and frantic nature of Doctor Who is what makes it special, as well as all the 'random stuff' they make up :p

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Wait. Most sci-fi I have even seen uses the Star Trek method of rewriting the laws of physics as it goes and just making shit up on the fly. If you have to bound your sci0fi within know physics then it gets a lot more boring because real life physics are kind of tedious (No light sabers? madness!). It's not supposed to make sense in the real world, that's why its science fiction not fiction with science. If you talk quantum mechanics with a turn-of-the-century physics then he'd call you made. If you talked general relativity a hundred years ago you'd be considered insane. The "rules" of science are relative to who is in charge. If the show is entertaining then who cares if there spewing goobedy-gook? Isn't the point to make a show that people watch (something they have succeeded at)?

Apr 17, 2009
Sylocat said:
The solution is obvious: Terry Pratchett should write an episode for the new series, and show us all how it's done.
That would be awesome.

I agree with him at times. For example the inconsistencies in how the TARDIS works. At times it floats adrift, at times it automatically seeks out land, at still others it returns to the Doctor, depending on how the writer needs to use it

Zero=Interrupt

Nov 9, 2009
Malcheior Sveth said:
To be honest, I have to agree with him. They didn't used to do the "make crap up whenever you need to" style of science nearly as much in the old Doctor Who. That's something that came in when they revived the series (even more so when Tennant took over), and it really bugs me.
I agree. The older shows relied more on solid writing (and the humor was fantastic) and the new RTD ones are all bang-flash plot-lite. It's like a gay George Lucas wrote the Eccleston/Tennant years.

I'd venture to say that it isn't Doctor Who that Pratchett has a problem with: it's more Davies' writing than anything else. In that regard, he should call it like it is and not question the show in particular, but the writer. That said, there's no shortage of decent writing talent across the pond. Dan Abnett and Warren Ellis come to mind...

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Here's my thing. He's not wrong - Dr. Who relies on the "magic wand" solution rather a lot. My point is....so bloody what? So long as the stories are still fun, who cares if the solutions to problems is a bit whizbangy? Just because it's sci fi, that doesn't mean it has to have basis in genuine science.

I mean, come on, the TARDIS has a pool for crying out loud. Are we really going to get upset at a bit of deus ex machina?

Now, if you want to say that such methods diminish the storytelling, that's a whole other discussion, and one that I think has some merit. But to say that the show is doing something wrong by, for example, whisking Martha's hospital to the moon...who cares that it's a silly set up? It made for a fun episode, didn't it?
I'm guessing he's under some weird impression previous Who's didn't use Technobabble [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TechnoBabble] or Deus Ex Machina [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DeusExMachina].
But he is one to talk since his own novels use a lot of Loophole Abuse [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LoopholeAbuse]. Which, technically, can be the same thing he is accusing Doctor Who of using.

This is one case where I don't mind the subject criticizing a material. Since, for once, it fits within their experience. He is just a bit off the mark all the same.

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
yeah, the science is rather weak, but that is where the "fiction" part of the name comes in. It's not supposed to be sound science, but that's what makes it fun.

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
veloper said:
Acidwell said:
veloper said:
Doctor who is science fiction, it has other planets, aliens, space-ships and advanced technology. A basis in science fact or hypothesis is not what makes something science fiction because then you wouldn't count the work of H.G. Wells or Philip K. Dick as science fiction even though they are widely recognised as being some of the leading writers in the genre. A basis in fact only determines if it is hard or soft sf.
No, H.G. Wells based his sci-fi novels on the backward scientific theories of his time (like space travel by cannon) and you cannot accuse blade runner of being inconsistent or too far-fetched.
Those are 2 very specific examples and they are more or less wrong.
Firstly H.g Wells didn't base all of his writing on science-fact of the time, he invented the phrase time machine and he was the first person to write about an operator controlled machine that could choose their destination. Also the way the Martian fighting machines move is completely made up.

Secondly Blade Runner wasn't written by Philip K. Dick and it has androids which were never based in fact or hypothesis. Only in the last 20 years has anyone done anything about making them a reality and that is due to science fiction. The book that he actually wrote has quite a bit extra for example electric flies, pets etc which are only touched on in the film. As well as a number of machines that are imagined and not based on scientific fact.