Precipice of Evolution: First Genesis [Closed;Started]

Black Rock Shooter

Aug 18, 2012
"Farewell. If fate decrees, we may meet again." Eve said simply before something popped out of her back and she began to fly away on what looked like a crude jet-pack. She usually garnered attention to herself this way, but it was a much more efficient form of transportation. She had decided that she would pay a visit to the library to spend an hour or two reading. She could clear several books in that time, and reading up on 'The Classics' had always interested her. The thrusters jutting from her back shifted slightly and she traversed the distance to the library by air.

"Today.... 'der Wille zur Macht' by Nietzsche." She stated to no one but herself as she neared her destination.

2ndblackjedi

Sep 12, 2008
Alice watched Eve fly off and eventually shrugged off the entire encounter as just another one of the weird things that happened in here. She told herself she wasn't nearly as impressed with the jetpack as she thought she was. Alice looked around at the trees in the park, not because they looked nice, but because she was wondering how quickly they could all burn down. She bit her lip as she pictured it and continued on that train of thought until she reached the cafe. A small building, directly beside the library that smelled like coffee inside.

Alice got toast and scrambled eggs with a small coffee. She sat by herself and put her notebook on the table beside her plate. Before eating, she shot a small jet of flame from her finger to her toast, burning it to perfection. Alice ate quietly, and let her mind wander freely. When she was finished, she took her notebook and half done coffee from the table and walked towards the library. Heat coming from her hand kept the warm drink steaming hot.

Fury Is Me.

Oh, Tasty Tasty.
Feb 20, 2010
Cid Kayfer had finished his class a little later, the class ending with him sitting on a floating chair of his Colonies and reading aloud from the book while writing down notes, feeling it nice to actually write something every now and again. He suddenly snapped the book closed and turned to the class. "That's all for today students. Read chapters 32, 29, and 34 tonight, and, also, get some sleep. Time doesn't stop for anyone." He put his finger to his chin and looked up, pondering. "At least, i don't think it does." He shrugged. "Dismissed." Slowly, the students flooded out of the room, followed by Cid, having reverted his colonies back to their least stressful state, three large orbs, and left the room, the orbs floating around him like a sigil surrounding him. He spotted David Gold and approached him with a smile, adjusting his tie and putting a hand in his pocket. "Hiya, David. How'd your class go?" He said, his mannerisms having completely changed.

VaudevillianVeteran

No Comment Necessary.
Sep 19, 2009
"Just trying to look professional for the kid, Revis." Hawthorne gave a semi-weary sigh with small smile, she ran her card against the small card reader at the side, disabling the locking mechanism.
She slipped inside and tapped her foot, trying to give a feigned stern expression that a mother gives a misbehaving child to try to break the ice.
"You know me by now. This is a doctor-in-training, Palmer. He'll be sitting in for a little while."
The younger doctor dwindled in the doorway, eyes wide, staring at Revis' arm with a mixture of horror and bewilderment. Hawthorne rolled her eyes at this and sighed.

BoosterGold

Jul 21, 2010
David looked at his friend, Cid Kayfer, as he walked out of class. He finished his coffee and said, "It really was fairly typical. Overall it went well, you know how it is teaching these kids this early they are never fully into it."
David took a breath, and it was at this point is stomach rumbled, I could go for a corn beef sandwich and a pickle, maybe a Knish, David's thoughts occupied by thoughts of lunch, at Moshe and Itzes, which was the domes Jewish Deli
"Hey Cid, you wanna go grab lunch at Moshe AND Itzes, I'm in the mood for a knish."

Safe in the Dark

What is a man?
Jun 5, 2010
"Hey there, new guy." Revis said waving the hand that wasn't currently a chair. "So Doc... Let's get this rollin'... Where's my sister? Where's Nyxa Lysander?" He questioned in a vaguely uncharacteristic docile tone. His eyes betrayed his tone however, his expression a mixture of desperation and anger. "I'll be a saint, I'll plant trees, I'll never lay a finger on anyone.... Just find my sister." His arm was growing slightly unstable and pain shot through it as a black flame snaked it's way across the surface. The flames didn't burn him, but the ground appeared slightly worse for wear. His arm itself also seemed to lose it's form pulsing in and out of itself.

VaudevillianVeteran

No Comment Necessary.
Sep 19, 2009
The nervous doctor left the room quickly to stand by the sign-in desk and Hawthorne shot a semi-dirty look at the door. She pulled up a white folding seat near the doorway and gave a passive sigh, resting her clipboard on her lap.
"There is no record of a Nyxa Lysander being in this facility. At least currently. Although I'm a head of this facility," she tapped a finger on the board for emphasis, "I'm a nobody in comparison to the entirety of this place. There's only so much information I have access to. I admit...perhaps something isn't adding up, but I genuinely can't tell you anything, Revis..."
Her eyes darted between paper and looking at the young man, trying to keep her cool. She was fairly used to his temper at this point but anger was his fuel and she didn't particularly want to make things risky.

Safe in the Dark

What is a man?
Jun 5, 2010
"I have the letters... I have pictures... I know she was here... I'll find the truth even if I have to tear this place down... She deserved a good life... Not a missing person's report. They took me to that room recently. I don't know what's going on here... All I want is my sister." Revis stood while he spoke, his arm to unstable to continue sitting n. He formed it back into an arm, but the flames and fluctuations didn't die down. "I'll find her."

VaudevillianVeteran

No Comment Necessary.
Sep 19, 2009
"We're doing our best to see if she was transferred... our official records for deaths are much more organized and we see no trace of 'Nyxa Lysander' on there if that's any consolation... ...The only files I have with the name 'Lysander' are yours." Hawthorne noted, trying to shift the conversation slightly. She pulled out the silver cigarette case and opened it to him.
"...What do I need to add to the file now? We let you out less than a week or so ago, why are you back in here, Revis? And please, spare no detail, how you've got away with half the stuff you've done, I'll never know. Even your arrival into this facility was less than wholesome."

Safe in the Dark

What is a man?
Jun 5, 2010
"Alright. Fine... If anything happened to her, I swear I'll never stop hunting the one who hurt her." Revis drew a cigarette from the case, he didn't usually smoke, but he'd done it before. He lit it with a flick of his left thumb and sighed. "I was walking home, it was pretty dark. This guy, he comes up to me, and he's laughing and pointing in my direction. There was no one else around. I asked him what was so funny, but he just kept on. I tried to walk away, but he was following me. So I see a mailbox nearby, and it make it like I'm gonna throw it at he. He just kept laughin'. So I threw it at him." Revis recounted, the fond memories of the man's face right before the impact helping to calm him down.

VaudevillianVeteran

No Comment Necessary.
Sep 19, 2009
Hawthorne tried to retain a professional frown but a smirk slipped through and she shook her head.
"I see. So. One count of grievous bodily harm and another count of vandalism. That's oddly mild for you. Maybe we're getting through after all. I'm not even going to bother running through the standard 'you need to learn self-restraint' thing, we've done that too many times." She slipped the case back into her pocket and stood from the seat.
"Look. You must be getting bored of this as much as I am. You must be getting sick of these cells. You're a smart guy, smart enough to find this place and get in, if you keep your nose clean this place really isn't so bad. What you really will regret is if they decide to make you a long-term resident here... But for now you might be booked in for another session in the back room and after that, you'll probably be free to go. You've been here what...? Two? Three days?"
She spoke while jotting down notes from the incident.

Fury Is Me.

Oh, Tasty Tasty.
Feb 20, 2010
Cid Kayfer rubbed his chin and looked inquisitively at David gold. It wasn't the first time he would have accompanied David to his favorite Deli, but it was certainly getting a bit dull. He'd had his fill of Knish for a while. "That sounds good, but why don't we go off and find that German place. I'd really enjoy a Schnitzel or some Bratwurst and Sauerkraut. You wanna head off to there or should we just hit up a Chinese place or something?" cid said, talking much less like you'd expect a super genius too and more like somebody's buddy.

SteakHeart

Jul 20, 2009
Jerald was working on a loose gear when the man of the hour walked in. There was Carl, standing there in his skinny, prematurely-balding glory.

"There you are. Took you so long?"

"Well, sor-ry, I just happen to take time getting places," he said. "I didn't even have time to punch in. Anyway, you must be the one in trouble if you can't get a freakin' handle on a valve."

"Just help me." Carl pushed Jerald aside and looked at the valve. "I think the grooves are worn off."

Carl took a closer look at the nozzle meant to hold the valve. "Nuh-uh, man, must be human erro-" He was cut off as Jerald slammed his head into the iron boiler, stunning him. He whipped his fiberwire out of his pocket and grabbed both handles, separating them and extending the gleaming wire. He wrapped it around the man's neck and pulled it tight, yanking him out of view from the hallway. Carl struggled for about thirty seconds, pulling at his neck as his face turned blue. Finally, he went limp. Jerald unwrapped the wire and felt for a pulse just underneath the deep welt left by his wire. No pulse.

He wondered for a moment if the man had friends. A family. Someone who'd realize he was gone and call the security.

Probably not, he thought as he closed the door and dragged the body into the hazardous waste container. The man's legs didn't seem to want to bend the right way to fit. Grunting, he slammed his elbow onto the body's knees, breaking them. He folded them under the body and slid it the rest of the way in, then jammed the top shut with a click. Jerald checked his watch. He had plenty of time until shift change. He dragged the container into the waste drop-off and loaded it onto a pallet with a few other piles of trash.

Jerald staggered into the bathroom and vomited, missing the trash can completely and giving himself more work to do. God, he hated this job.

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
Karen's post-run morning rituals were a simple affair, as they were most days: breakfast consisted of cereal with half a banana, sliced up. The shower that followed her morning meal was a quick one: she preferred an approach of necessity, rather than luxury. No point in wasting time that could be spent training... or dealing with other matters such as her studies, as she had often done prior to her transfer to the facility.

There was no point in continuing her education here: she couldn't do anything here with what she had been studying before. And she had understood the teachers back home; she'd gotten to know them and learned to understand their teaching methods. It would be a waste of time to try to pick up where she had left off.

She did her best to turn her attention to other matters as she dressed in clean clothes - a plain T-shirt and shorts - and her archery gear, tying her hair back before she left for the range. As usual she ran the length of the way there, though at a slower pace than her morning run. She didn't want to tire herself out. Upon her arrival at the range, she found Doc Holt waiting for her. "Morning, doc," she greeted him in a neutral tone.

"Karen. Nice to see you this early. Shall we?" Holt turned and stepped inside at a leisurely pace. Karen, however, forged straight past him toward the lockers. The doc wasn't a friend: Karen didn't walk alongside people she didn't consider friends. If he wanted to watch, he would have to keep up with her. Retrieving her equipment was a simple matter, once she had recorded her name and the time at which she had signed into the range. Bow in hand and quiver on her back, Karen stepped into one of the range's stands. Doc Holt had taken up a spot in the observation area.

BoosterGold

Jul 21, 2010
David stroked his beard thoughtfully, as he weighed his options and realized that Cid did have a point. While David was genuinely fond of deli food, he did tend to eat it a bit to often, it was his go to option, but then eating the same thing could be a bit boring in the long run.
David flashed Cid a big friendly smile, and said, "Alright Cid, you win this time, lets go get German, I could always go for soon spaetzle "

Safe in the Dark

What is a man?
Jun 5, 2010
"Yeah, should be out soon." Revis said, thinking aloud. "As long as you keep looking for information on my sister... I'll try and tone things down." He inhaled the smoke and let out a ring of it, as he'd seen his father do many times. "You know as well as I do that I'm essentially a pariah out of this cell. People read the news reports, they saw the damage, SEE the damage. Everyone either avoids me, or antagonizes me. I can't stop that, and this arm only makes things worse." Revis had managed to extinguish the flames on his arm, and it took a more solid, stable form. "Goddammit..."

Fury Is Me.

Oh, Tasty Tasty.
Feb 20, 2010
Cid pats David on the back and lets out a hearty chuckle. "Alright, friend. You're paying for your own damn beer this time, though. C'mon, we'll take my car." Cid chuckled at his own joke. He didn't have a car. His "Car" Was simply his nanomachine colonies. Within a few seconds, the tiny machines had forms two very solid looking discs in the air, both large enough to support a full grown male. He hops onto his and beckons for David to do the same. "C'mon, then, you've done this before."

Lambi

Yuki-Onna
Oct 20, 2009
Opening the door to her place, Victoria took her shoes off at the entrance after she closed the door. She took the sweaty clothes in her bag and, after taking them out of her bag, put them all into her laundry machine and put it on the right settings. She tended to not have a lot of laundry to do seeing as her wardrobe didn't exactly have much if any variety. She had maybe one black dress for special occasions, but that was pretty much it.

Right now, she didn't exactly know what to do. Maybe she should head out for something to eat. She didn't exactly feel like having anything of what she had in her fridge. Or maybe she could initiate a fight for no reason. Sure, she'd be sent to detention, but she'd be let out so long as she promised to behave. It would certainly be a good way to release energy, but then again, if she went to detention, there wouldn't be much opportunity to release her energy.

With nothing much else to do, she put her shoes on and went outside for a walk until her laundry would be done. Around an hour, that would be enough for her. And maybe she'd get herself something to eat as well. She had no specific destination in mind as she started walking.

VaudevillianVeteran

No Comment Necessary.
Sep 19, 2009
"Revis..." Hawthorne let out a small sigh before turning to open the door, "I'll continue to see if there's anything that can be dug up, if you really believe Nyxa was here and from what you've shown me, she was at some point, I'm sure there's some evidence somewhere... but...if you want the help for the time being, I can get the necessary means." She said with sincerity.
"Anger management, drug trials, there's not much that can be done about that ar-" She was cut off by a small Beep Beep in the breast pocket of her shirt.
She took out a small pager and her brow furrowed into a small confusion as she mouthed something and put it back into her pocket.
"Might have to cut this short, can you sit tight for about...30 minutes to an hour? Then I'll come back and sign you out... Fuck, this is going to be a long morning, you're the first person on this block alone, and I'm still waiting on...I'm rambling, just, we'll sort this out when I get back, okay?"

Safe in the Dark

What is a man?
Jun 5, 2010
"Fine, whatever... See you then Doc." Revis said with a shrug before slumping back down onto the bed. "Whatever it is it must be important, and I'm not going anywhere." He said sarcastically, motioning with his head toward the four wall of the cell. "So yeah, get whatever it is done with, I'll try not to let the arm eat my alive, you going gives me time to think anyway." He said apathetically, leaning against the wall closest to his cot.