Predict the most overrated game of 2016

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
Gonna have to say Doom. I've been wary of it ever since the gameplay demo with all those clearly placed people in the audience cheering and screaming at the canned animations and game in general. It was very clear they were placed there by the publishers, and such blatant hype generation turns me off straight away.

It looks pretty generic as well. The new armour for Doom guy simply looks way too over designed, as do some of the enemies. Think it would have worked better to have a retro-sci fi look, similar to the original or Aliens. Hell, Far Cry Blood Dragon pulled off that look, Doom could have easily.

In terms of the actual gameplay, it seems to be going for Brutal Doom, but without the hordes of monsters at a time that the original game had. It's map editor, means while beginners will make some maps, is ultimately limiting what we could have gotten from proper mod tools support. I'll stick to Project Brutality and the countless community maps for Doom 2, I think.

Really, I'm wary of pretty much any game, after generations of games letting me down. It's better to simply not buy into the hype and check the game out further down the line after release. Then you can usually pick it up cheaper, developers have released the standard post-release patches, and the community can give you a good indication if it's worth playing.

pequod

Jan 11, 2016
Uncharted 4 will not be overrated at all, a worthy GOTY contender in fact. Don't underestimate ND. It's the last game in the series anyway.

The Last Guardian always looked shit. Dark Souls 3 will be eaten up by fans as usual but won't be worth a glance by normal people. No Man's Sky will probably be amazing for a few hours and then become pointless and boring once the main gimmick has worn off.

Reasonable Atheist

Mar 6, 2012
All of them, I only play games about politics developed in Sweden.

Also music is way too mainstream for my advanced sensibilities, I prefer the sounds of beached ocean mammals gently mewling,

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
The Division

Seriously overhyped game for what is basically described as a Destiny without the flashy sci fi guns.

Also the beta has showed that its piss easy to hack the game files.

Also its an ubisoft game so expect all sorts of things going wrong.

So yeah... The division is my candidate for most overrated game of 2016

TT Kairen

Nov 10, 2011
WinterWyvern said:
Saetha said:
WinterWyvern said:
Deus Ex. I have no doubts....
*Sigh* Here we go again. If you're so certain it's going to fail, perhaps you could expand upon why?
It's a hunch. And when I get a hunch, I am never wrong.
Qualify this. Please list every single time you have ever had a hunch about anything, and if I don't disagree with a single one of them, I may believe you.

However, likely not, since you're apparently "right" about a subjective topic.

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
WinterWyvern said:
TT Kairen said:
WinterWyvern said:
Saetha said:
WinterWyvern said:
Deus Ex. I have no doubts....
*Sigh* Here we go again. If you're so certain it's going to fail, perhaps you could expand upon why?
It's a hunch. And when I get a hunch, I am never wrong.
Qualify this. Please list every single time you have ever had a hunch about anything, and if I don't disagree with a single one of them, I may believe you.

However, likely not, since you're apparently "right" about a subjective topic.
Bioshock 2. Bioshock Infinite. Skyrim. Fallout 4. Tomb Raider reboot. Street Fighter 5. Mass Effect 2 and 3. Blazblue. GTA5. Saints Row 4. Devil May Cry. Enslaved. etc. etc. etc.
If that's a list of games that you thought would be bad or over rated, then I think you've been wrong more times than you've been right.

chocolate pickles

Apr 14, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
B-Cell said:
Casual Shinji said:
So instead of getting on people's case for liking what they like, we're predicting getting on their case for liking what they like? Looks like the whining has evoled.
My friend, here we are just predicting that what will be most overrated games. as there will be many to come
Can we maybe not jump the gun on throwing a fit over people liking something. It's bad enough as it is when the games are actually out.
That quite clearly isn't his intention. I'm not sure where your getting this from.

Regardless, Doom will probably be shit.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Zhukov said:
B-Cell said:
Zhukov said:
B-Cell said:
Zhukov said:
Nah, Remedy are totally overrated.

Betas are overrated too. I bet anyone who said it was good was paid to say that.
Apparently Max payne 1 is still best third person shooter game. and Quantum break is more of spritual successor which will do what rockstar failed at max payne 3.
Max Payne is super overrated. Especially the first game.

All you do is press the slow motion button and click on the enemies while they're slowed down. Just like how I know Quantuum Break will be.
still better than cover peak shallow console shooters like gears and uncharted where you take cover peak and shoot
Oh man, Gears of War and Uncharted were, like, MEGA overrated.

Not sure if they were as overrated as Max Payne, but they were certainly overrated.

God damn overraters, running around overrating everything.
I think he doesn't get it.

OT: Haven't played it yet but I am super wary of Bravely Second, the first game was so damn good for the first 20 hours or so... then the difficulty curve turned into a fucking rollercoaster and the game made me do the same shit over and over and over and over and over to get the real ending.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Ezekiel said:
I want Mass Effect: Andromeda to be a good game, because I like sci-fi, but I have no faith in these people.
Well then good news for you, the team behind it barely have anything to do with the franchise. It's just brand recognition at its finest from EA with love.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
My answer is...well, the obvious answer. It's going to be whichever game wins the most "best of show" awards at upcoming gaming conventions and trade shows like E3, the Tokyo Gameshow, PAX, etc. Every year newly announced games or games with new "gameplay" trailers make their rounds during these high profile events and the ones that seem to have had the most money thrown at it wins dozens upon dozens of arbitrary awards. Games like Evolve, Titanfall, Watch_Dogs, Star Wars: Battlefield, Assassins Creeds Unity and Syndicate...These aren't awful games but the product being sold was nothing nearly as good as what was advertised and every year at least one is "the last straw" for another chunk of us. I'm not sure which one it's going to be this year but I would vote on whichever one wins the most "best of" awards come June...or May...whenever these trade shows begin.

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
If you're talking about the greatest gap between critical acclaim and player opinion, it'll inevitably wind up being some emotionally-fraught indie game that's the darling of critics everywhere but plays like crap.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
StormShaun said:
No Man's Sky

I feel like they're pushing expectations too far, and when it comes out, people will be disappointed.
It's an inevitable thing, just like how Icarus was burned when he tried reaching the sun.
Plus, I haven't seen anything too interesting. Sure, it looks pretty, there is space, but are there things to do in ALL of that space?

I doubt I'll buy it, but I feel it'll crash. If it does well, good for it. My opinion of it will increase... well, depending what I think of the final gameplay.
That's funny, thinking No Man's Sky will actually be released this year. It will be another 2 years if it ever is released.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Imre Csete said:
Ezekiel said:
I want Mass Effect: Andromeda to be a good game, because I like sci-fi, but I have no faith in these people.
Well then good news for you, the team behind it barely have anything to do with the franchise. It's just brand recognition at its finest from EA with love.
This may be a good thing. I don't think anyone could make more of a wrong move than the last game

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
The question in itself is silly, because what counts as being overrated or underrated is, by definition, when the individual's opinion is in contrast with the majority. If we're in the territory of group consensus for "most underrated/overrated" whatever, then it would suggest that it was never overrated/underrated to begin with.

You want an example of a game that could go either way? Doom. Because no matter what critical consensus is, I can imagine the arguments now:

*"Doom is Overrated": This game sucks! People only like it based on brand recognition! It's a rehash of games that came out over 20 years ago! People only like it because of nostalgia! God damn it am I the only one who thinks Doom is overrated?!"

*"Doom is Underrated": Damn critics don't know what a real FPS is! They're all so busy with their CoD's and Battlefields that they wouldn't know good game design if it bit them in the arse! God damn it am I the only one who thinks Doom is underrated?!"

And repeat ad nauseum for anything and everything. :(

dragoongfa

It's the Krossopolypse
Apr 21, 2009
Torn between Mass Effect andromeda and the Division.

Overwatch comes a distant third.