Preferred Melee Weapon Choice?

Poster1234

Apr 26, 2011
I'd probably go with a dual-handed claymore, plus two japanese tantos for close quarter combat.

That is, unless I can have the nanosuit, of course.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009

I've got two just like it already, one like this one in black and another with just the plain steel. They're easy to maintain, easy to use and are pretty reliable. As long as it's weighted and balanced correctly I'll have no problem with it.

But if we're going fictional, then I'd like The Great Knife from Silent Hill 2. Not for actual combat, obviously, just because I'd love to have one on my wall or on one of those display stand thingies on my shelf. It's pretty much a machete, just bigger.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
Goemon Ishikawa,s sword from Lupin the Third it looks like it can slice through anything or just a regular Wakizashi (short bladed Katana)

SangRahl

Feb 11, 2009
Hmmm... depends on the game environment, I guess.

But, overall, I guess I'm just partial to axes. A nice big 2-hander for open spaces, and either dual-wield smaller versions or with a shield. (And don't forget my 'dwarven arrows'... gotta have a good supply of chuckers, as well.)

::Reminiscing about my old M&B:Warband Nord in full siege gear... 8 Balanced Heavy Throwing Axes, Huscarl Shield and a Heavy Great Long Axe for when I drop in behind enemy skirmish lines... and about my Dwarven 'Reaver' (Ftr/Rng/Rog) in DDO with his array of varied Dwarven Waraxes (assorted mixtures of elemental, racial, and other bonus damage effects) for dual-wielding and his Dwarven Thrower for at-range situations::

A.A.K

Mar 7, 2009
The aztec Macuahuitl, it's effectively an obsidian chainsaw (check Deadliest Warrior for more information :p)
Otherwise, an o'katana would be splendid.

In the meantime, my 10" tanto kabar will work splendid :p

souper soup guy

Aug 8, 2011
I'd take a bastard sword, half because its pretty big without being unwieldly, half because I think they look damn cool.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
The noble Naginata. That is one elegant weapon. Is it a polearm? Is it a blade? It just doesn't know, and neither do you, because you are too busy worrying about the hand I cut off from like 2 metres away

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
In real life? A simple, sturdy knife is probably by far the most practical for most people.

If I were expecting to be forced into some sort of armed fight (or living a fantasy life of wanton adventure where my death wouldn't be all-but-assured and people wouldn't just shoot me), I'd probably want a smallsword since it's the closest thing to something I've at least handled for a significant period of time (fencing).

In a game, I tend to like either unarmed, dagger, or one-handed swords (no board, but potentially dual-wielded). My videogame weapon tastes are pretty conventional I think.

Sir Seagull

Knight of the Picnic Table
Jan 12, 2011
crop52 said:
RaNDM G said:
gostlyfantom said:
combat shovel is the best weapon of all time.
Like this? *snip*
No guys, what you really want, is this.

Watch the entire video.
RaNDM G said:
gostlyfantom said:
combat shovel is the best weapon of all time.
Like this?
Whelp, I was going to say a nice heavy hammer that gives a decent thud when it caves someone's skull in but dammit you guys have changed my mind!
SHOVELS ALL THE WAY!!

GrymZero

Mar 1, 2010
I used to be big on swords and the like, but more recently I've been looking into spears and polearms.

Warlokk

Jun 10, 2010
I think a nice Schiavona [http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/schiavona.html] would do the trick... or a Scottish basket claymore. Heavier and more versatile than a rapier, with good hand protection. Lacking that, any nice sturdy broadsword would to the job for me.