Preview: DC Universe Online

Misho-

May 20, 2010
Damn, this game is making me consider cheating on my beloved City of Heroes :S

SmileyBat

Jun 14, 2010
By the article, he played on both. It's worth mentioning that it's a lot easier to save footage of a pc game than console.

Until now I've been steadfast against subscripts, but the articles a few weeks back regarding cumulative value of games (in short, subscript is the cheaper method hands down) and my great love of comic heroes and beat 'em ups has lead me to really, really want this game. Getting for PS3, see y'all there.

SmileyBat

Jun 14, 2010
maybe you did it wrong Pugiron. All the videos I've seen had stealth work fine without combat. Also on the customization ability, there's releases saying the starter stuff is a small portion, the vast majority of content is earned.

NooNameLeft

Sep 15, 2009
This is the first mmo that got me interested in a long long time.
I would consider getting it but...
You have to pay for the game again and again and again...

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
If Sony invites a reviewer over for a preview and just lets him play it on the PC, albeit occasionally using the dual shock for some things (the entire video looked like it was mouse and keyboard), that may be cause to worry about the PS3 version.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Well I was already quite excited about this game. I've never been into MMOs (partially because of the fees), but this, Guild Wars 2, and STOR have really piqued my interest. I'm a big superhero fan, and this preview has really got me excited. Though I was pumped for Star Trek Online and sorely disappointed.

I won't be waiting in line on launch day, but I may just give it a try after the bugs have been ironed out.

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
Do I want another MMO in my life?!? Well the answer is yes, the question is is DCUO going to be that one // Well from the looks of this it's a maybe. . .

-M

Fuloqwam

Jul 29, 2009
Relieved to hear it. I loved the initial concept, and the trailer sold me, but I was worried because I had never warned up to the standard MMO engine. I will definitely be picking this one up.

Toastngravy

Jan 19, 2009
Played the PS3 Beta a bit and it seems a bit of a mess, kind of.

I can't read anything on the screen. Nothing. I have no idea what my skills are, i just click them and hope they're good. I can't see the chat, I can't see the UI, I don't even know what stats I'm actually increasing when I equip stuff, all I know is that it's all bright green so it's an improvement of what I had. I assume this is due to it being made specifically, and apparently only, for an HD TV. There may be a way to fix this, but I can't entirely find it if there is.

The game also, last night, froze my PS3 4, almost 5 (one of the times it actually fixed its self after 5 seconds or so, so that was good) times before I quit. Although my co-worker who also has it hasn't had any issue with freezing so I'm quite confused on that one.

It's also a tiny bit laggy in certain situations but I blame Sony's servers on that one more than anything else.

So. While I find it ridiculously fun it's near impossible to play for me right now. Not being able to read anything + constant freezing of my console = not playable.

But, hopefully the beta is actually taken as a beta and this stuff is fixed. I'd like to see it fixed prior to the beta ending so I know they did it. Not entirely worth paying for if I can't play it heh.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Fearzone said:
If Sony invites a reviewer over for a preview and just lets him play it on the PC, albeit occasionally using the dual shock for some things (the entire video looked like it was mouse and keyboard), that may be cause to worry about the PS3 version.
That's the thing with the PC version, it's not really suitable to play with a mouse. I tried it and its just not a fun experience. Switching to a gamepad controller makes things much more fun. I'm disappointed such an option was not pointed out in this review because the mouse and keyboard controls are what people seem to complain about and is definitely not what you should be highlighting. That 9 click combo is nothing if you're using a gamepad because usually by the time you hit 9 basic attacks on a target its dead and you can use that ability to move smoothly into the next target.

I'm in the beta and I love it. Initial customization could be better, but it makes up for it by allowing you to upgrade and customize your hero/villain's costume through world drops and mission rewards. It's a very refreshing change from games like WoW where your character's look is dictated by whatever armor you're wearing.

Leveling is great because each level you're rewarded with some kind of character skill improvement that opens up new combos and abilities to play with. The combat is fun, there's no other way to put it. (there's a sadistic glee in steamrolling henchmen and cops with kick ass combos)

coldshadow said:
hey look, city of heroes!
Hey look, someone to shortsighted to see when someone builds and betters an existing concept and must make a sad attempt at discrediting it by pointing out it's similar to something else! Seriously grow up dude, city of heroes was a nice game but it lacked alot. It gets credit for breaking ground on the super hero mmo genre but games like champions online and now DC online have taken that idea and improved on it.

I've played both CoH and Champions; and after the initial customization of characters both games lose their flare after a few hours. Not to mention since both games are not built upon existing IP (well Champions was supposed to be Marvel Online I hear) they throw wall upon wall of lore and background at the player every mission. Aside from just the base stories you're given for each area their deeper stories just seem neigh impenetrable without sitting down for a few hours and combing through everything the developers have thrown at you.

All three have the same flaw that irks me to no end;the soundtrack. Cripes people is it to hard to ask for a "loop music" button on our audio menu? It sucks so much life out of the game. The soundtrack for an MMO is one of the most crucial pieces. It sets the mood for areas, gives the player a frame of mind for their emotions. Don't give me music that plays for the first minute or two in an area and then vanishes, I want it to continue so I can be fooled into believing the world is alive and get further immersed into the world presented to me. DC online is still in beta so the area soundtracks stopping may just be a glitch or something not yet fully implemented so they've got time to fix such an egregious flaw in their game.

In final summation; DC Universe Online kicks 9 kinds of ass in my book and I look forward to continuing my reign of terror as the villainous Professor Metric Chaos when the game goes live.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
zaphod121 said:
Demo is a lot of fun. Could use some bigger txt boxes and a better lock on system w/ strafe. I keep locking on bad guys and shooting behind me at nothing. It's bad that I have to lean forward to read some of the txt boxes and I'm playing on a big scrn can't imagine how they look on a small TV
It's completely unreadable on a non HD tv but must upgrading (Thank Goodness) is color coded so that isn't impossible but knowing what anything actually is or does would be hard pressed without an external guide.

Luckily I could switch the PS3 to the HD downstairs. (The situation is complecated if your wondering why it isn't always there.)

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Fearzone said:
Did I see 10 mouse icons on the screen for clicking 10 times for the arial attack? Were you playing the beta on a PC?

If so, then it will be hard to generalize its performance and playability on the PS3.

Still, it looks hot, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it regardless.
Been playing the PS3 version's Beta it handles really well but has a hiccups here and there(Guessing when there's high traffic)with certain visual effects disappearing or pop-ups saying your "stunned" before showing it or how it happened.

Anyways about the 10 click mouse...I didn't use dual wielding yet but the (basic combat)* combos but the ones I did see are between square and triangle taping or holding like 3x square for a knock-up finish with dual pistols or 2x square hold triangle to double punch and do a 360 bullet spray around you.

*(non-cost moves you can string together including hand blasts,brawling,martial artist,staff,one-handed,two-handed,rifle,pistol(s),etc.)

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
sounds interesting, i might give it a try when it becomes free to play.

Neino Ranatos

Jul 12, 2010
Well, I'm glad I can say I was wrong about this game and it turned out well. I think I might wait until there is a free trial, however. I would like to see if the game is for me before I spend $60+ on it. That and since I'm playing TOR, I'd have 3 MMOs at once....such a hard decision.

Karacan

Jun 28, 2009
So what's with the lag? The combat mechanics sound like if you lag at perfectly-executed-blow-number-7, it'll ruin your combo for good.

My personal experience with SOE servers have been rather negative when it came to connectivity - how's the machine handling things?