Preview: DC Universe Online

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
... Whoa.

........... Whoa.

I mean, seriously. Whoa.

I never thought this game would look that fun. I had only a mild interest in it before, now I'm gonna be sure to try it as soon as I get a comp that can run it. If it's still around by then...

Or maybe I'll make my friend get it for his PS3 >.>

A1

Jul 9, 2009
Jbird said:
Having played the beta, I am very disappointed in the character creation system and power sets. Both feel very limited, and the costume pieces can be unlocked in-game, creating that katamari ball of Warcraft armor. And then you have to sift through menus to turn on which costume piece you want shown. Hurrah for tedium >_>

But hay; it plays well on the PS3, and the controls feel right. My one complaint is, and this just may be my experience, but it's annoying that I can't lower myself in flight. I can shoot straight up, but to go down I have to turn off the flying altogether.

Tedium you say? I'm not too sure about that. You actually don't HAVE to tweak your appearance. That's totally optional. If it isn't worth the effort then simply don't do it. The creators of the game have explicitly stated that character customization does not end with character creation.

As for the flying thing, I imagine it would be faster to drop down then fly down. But at the same time I guess that would feel a little strange.

In any case I hope you have given your feedback to SOE. That is pretty much the whole point of Beta testing.

A1

Jul 9, 2009
shintakie10 said:
Kiraxa said:
Name ONE DC hero that does nothing but spam powers. Every DC hero goes brawl-mode constantly.
Raven.

Actually theres quite a few who use nothin but powers. I dont think I've ever seen Fate do anythin remotely brawl like. Most of the magicians only go "brawl-mode" if their opponents gets all up in their business and even then its mostly just to whap them away so they can go back to usin spells.

That's rather interesting. Although I seriously doubt this little oddity is going to become a major problem. I think it's safe to say that the majority of DC fans who get into the game are going to be able to shrug it off easily enough.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
A1 said:
Jbird said:
Having played the beta, I am very disappointed in the character creation system and power sets. Both feel very limited, and the costume pieces can be unlocked in-game, creating that katamari ball of Warcraft armor. And then you have to sift through menus to turn on which costume piece you want shown. Hurrah for tedium >_>

But hay; it plays well on the PS3, and the controls feel right. My one complaint is, and this just may be my experience, but it's annoying that I can't lower myself in flight. I can shoot straight up, but to go down I have to turn off the flying altogether.

Tedium you say? I'm not too sure about that. You actually don't HAVE to tweak your appearance. That's totally optional. If it isn't worth the effort then simply don't do it. The creators of the game have explicitly stated that character customization does not end with character creation.

In any case I hope you have given your feedback to SOE. That is pretty much the whole point of Beta testing.
If I don't have to tweak my appearance, then the game shouldn't do it, as well. When I make a character in this game, I don't want it's appearance to change against my will. Now, if there were an option to save my costume as, say, a card, then I can swap out for another saved costume on the fly. Sorta like that other super-hero MMO. Anyway, I do take the time to dress my virtual action figure because I'm OCD that way.

Believe me, I did send in my feedback. And if my grievances cause the game to be pushed back, again, then so be it. (I highly doubt it, considering I am in no position to demoralize an entire development team.) I like what's in the game, and I certainly hope it lasts long enough to get some mileage.

I just wish the developers would hurry up and fix some of the bugs in the beta, because I can't continue in some places >_>

A1

Jul 9, 2009
Jbird said:
A1 said:
Jbird said:

If I don't have to tweak my appearance, then the game shouldn't do it, as well. When I make a character in this game, I don't want it's appearance to change against my will. Now, if there were an option to save my costume as, say, a card, then I can swap out for another saved costume on the fly. Sorta like that other super-hero MMO. Anyway, I do take the time to dress my virtual action figure because I'm OCD that way.

Believe me, I did send in my feedback. And if my grievances cause the game to be pushed back, again, then so be it. (I highly doubt it, considering I am in no position to demoralize an entire development team.) I like what's in the game, and I certainly hope it lasts long enough to get some mileage.

I just wish the developers would hurry up and fix some of the bugs in the beta, because I can't continue in some places >_>
I suppose it wouldn't hurt for the designers to add a shortcut or two to the customization process. Although I don't think there is too much cause for concern. The creators of the game have repeatedly expressed a willingness to listen and certainly a strong desire to make the best game they can.

But I don't think there is going to be much pushing back, if any. The issues you describe don't really strike me as the kind of things that would be particularly hard to address. And besides, the release date seems to have been established as January 11 2011, less than a month from now. This leads one to believe that the game is getting quite a bit of positive feedback. So that should mean that the apparently fewer instances of negative feedback would theoretically stand out more.

Towels

Feb 21, 2010
I've sworn off MMOs, and I watched this review wanting DC Heroes to suck because I'm still mad at SOE for what they did to Star Wars Galaxies. But I have to admit, the action-paced combat mechanics and combo systems does make for interesting dynamic for MMOs.

However, when they "tweeked" SWG with this concept, it just ripped out all the things that I liked about SWG. It killed the game because it ruined the robust Player economy by giving everyone the same skills. However, for a more action-oriented concept like Superheroes it should do quite nicely.

Karacan

Jun 28, 2009
Jbird said:
Um, I just joined the beta yesterday. When I found new equipment pieces, I was asked if I wanted to change the appearance of my costume or not.

This is the PC version though, maybe the PS3 works differently? :)

I'm quite surprised and pleased with the game. Right now, I'll almost certainly buy it.

A1

Jul 9, 2009
strangeotron said:
when is this supposed to be released?
According to Amazon.com the release date is January 11 2011. Less than a month from now.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Karacan said:
Jbird said:
Um, I just joined the beta yesterday. When I found new equipment pieces, I was asked if I wanted to change the appearance of my costume or not.

I saw that, too. But when I picked "no", the piece wouldn't equip at all.

Karacan

Jun 28, 2009
Jbird said:
Karacan said:
Jbird said:

That's weird, at least the lower level stuff (I didn't have much time to play around yet) definitely equips even if not displaying. At least I get the statbonus.

Again, this is the PC version. :)

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Karacan said:
Jbird said:
Karacan said:
Jbird said:

That's weird, at least the lower level stuff (I didn't have much time to play around yet) definitely equips even if not displaying. At least I get the statbonus.

Again, this is the PC version. :)
I'm curious to ask if, on the PC version, that Reactor Core console in the Watchtower is where it's suppose to be. For me, it's stuck in the environment.

SmileyBat

Jun 14, 2010
To be fair, no one knew shit about Vindictus when development for DCUO started. They oughtta get some credit no matter how similar you say they are.

SmileyBat

Jun 14, 2010
strangeotron said:
I'd consider getting a ps3 (i am anyway) becuse i really want to see what this is like, but it's still in beta.
Actually, beta for psn will still cost you a (smaller) subscript to playstation plus, the dumbest load of crap I've ever seen. It's basically paying monthlies toward things that should be free anyway, like avatars and demos. It's the only reason I'm not in the beta myself.

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
This line is what said the most of the entire preview:
"DCUO was good enough to pull Greg Tito away from leveling my worgen druid with (almost) no regrets."

So I could either spend 12 bucks a month to play a game I already know and love, OR I could spend equal amounts of money on a game which makes me wish I was playing the first game again..