Problems that men have to deal with

Harpalyce

Social Justice Cleric
Mar 1, 2012
Jack T. Pumpkin said:
Second, women being feminine hardly makes them powerless. Quite the opposite, since men are (generally) attracted to feminine women, this gives said women a significant amount of power over the men who are attracted to them, even if said men don't think with their dicks; being feminine, by itself, is not a bad thing, it's just utterly useless for men, in terms of power over others. With a notable exception for gay men who are attracted to feminine men, obviously.

Third, SOME problems women have are worse than SOME problem men have. On the flipside, SOME problems men have are worse than SOME problems women have. I do believe we can agree on this, yes? My problem is with the absolute "women have it worse", or its rarely encountered sister, "men have it worse".
Ehhh, we may have to disagree on that one. The fashion industry is a really odd creature, and most of it is built around getting people to buy stuff, not about actually appealing to men. Women feel compelled to cater to men, which makes it a different power dynamic.

I'd say the statistics still say the women have it - simply looking at things like pay gap and how much a woman's work is valued less than a man's work (going back to the 'chore gap' even in childhood that has been demonstrated by recent studies - again, this is easily googleable).

I do see your point though. I realize that it may seem stupid for me to stand here going 'no really, the ladies have it worse still', but the bigger point is that this all goes to the same root. We all gang up and attack that same root of bullshit gender standards, we all win.

Anja Bech

Mar 20, 2013
Topsider said:
Again, I'm pretty okay with that. I can't think of anything I'd be less interested in than another dude's emotional needs.
Not even your own? You don't think that's a problem?

I happen to care about the men i surround myself with, and I want them to be able to be open and honest without fearing ridicule. I want there to be less stigma for men who needs help, psychologically or otherwise emotionally. I want there to be room for men to actually be able to acknowledge insecurities, anxiety, loneliness, depression, fear etc, without being made to feel less for it. I want it to be absolutely unacceptable for anyone to ridicule male survivors of rape and assault, and I want to have a society where a man can get help if he's being abused by his spouse without being made to feel less for it. Spousal abuse of men is ridiculously common and there are so few programs out there, so few ways to get help.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Obama said:
hiding my boner. if women have the right to free bleed then I should have the right to rub one out all over some feminist dyke's ugly lesbian face
...Ok first of all, I made this thread so that men and women who notice men's problems could have a place to voice their displeasure, not to give you a platform to spew hatred. Second of all, painting not being able to masturbate into a woman's face as a problem men has to face brings the entire male gender down. Third of all...no...just no.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Topsider said:
Anja Bech said:
Topsider said:
Again, I'm pretty okay with that. I can't think of anything I'd be less interested in than another dude's emotional needs.
Not even your own? You don't think that's a problem?
Well, I said "another dude's emotional needs." I don't think of myself as another dude. So no. Why would it be a problem? I have zero interest in talking about my emotions, and we slip into negative integers in terms of interest when it comes to some other guy's.

I happen to care about the men i surround myself with, and I want them to be able to be open and honest without fearing ridicule. I want there to be less stigma for men who needs help, psychologically or otherwise emotionally. I want there to be room for men to actually be able to acknowledge insecurities, anxiety, loneliness, depression, fear etc, without being made to feel less for it. I want it to be absolutely unacceptable for anyone to ridicule male survivors of rape and assault, and I want to have a society where a man can get help if he's being abused by his spouse without being made to feel less for it. Spousal abuse of men is ridiculously common and there are so few programs out there, so few ways to get help.
That's because we tend to value putting resources where they're needed most, I believe. My live-in girlfriend is 5'2" and about 115 pounds. I wouldn't require a great deal of support if she tried to go all cage match on me.
You see that stereotype about people who are physically smaller not being able to hurt bigger people is exactly why so many men who are abused by their spouses have problems getting help. Women who are an abusive have a tendency to use weapons when they attack their partners. This multiplies the amount of damage that they can do. It doesn't matter how smaller someone is than you, if they can smash you in the back of the head with a lead pipe, they've already won.

Obama's Dad 420

Oct 2, 2014
erttheking said:
Obama said:
hiding my boner. if women have the right to free bleed then I should have the right to rub one out all over some feminist dyke's ugly lesbian face
...Ok first of all, I made this thread so that men and women who notice men's problems could have a place to voice their displeasure, not to give you a platform to spew hatred. Second of all, painting not being able to masturbate into a woman's face as a problem men has to face brings the entire male gender down. Third of all...no...just no.
How is my post spewing hatred? I didn't say I hated anyone.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
erttheking said:
Obama said:
Report and move on. People like that aren't worth the effort to respond.

This thread has gone on long enough without exploding so I guess I'll contribute too. The following is quite the spiel, so I'll summarise the key points being raised.

*Men are more likely to be perceived as the aggressors in a confrontation against a woman.
*By societies standards, due to our (typically) greater body mass, we are restricted by how we respond to an abusive woman. Obviously don't hit her (don't hit anyone), but even raising your voice is considered damnable if your a man.
*People will likely side with the Woman in a confrontation between a Man and a Woman. Context isn't required as society dictates that Men are always aggressors.
*Men are held accountable for not being a "man".
*Some men, particularly those who developed very strong masculine characteristics (body hair, body mass, deep voice etc.) are viewed as threatening by some, regardless of their underlying personality.

This post deals with verbal Bullying that I personally endured and even thinking about has my emotions in a twist. So forgive any incoherency. I wanted to air this out but I don't want to think on it for too long.

I'm not going to tackle day to day grievances of being a man as I find it trivial. For the most part I am who am and that may or may not conform with my societies gender roles. My main issue is with my Mom, and how she perceives me.

We would frequently clash over certain subjects and things would get pretty heated. Generally it would be her trying to impose her own expectations of what a "man" like me should be doing with his life, usually threatening repercussions if I didn't bow my head and accept. Apparently I failed to live up to her standards. It got to a point where she would just stand in front of me and list off all the things "wrong" with me... and when my self esteem was on the floor that's when I would erupt in rage. Sick and tired of being constantly belittled I would just burst in despair and frustration. It was a combination of pathetic sobbing and earsplitting roars, and the occasional buckling over and hyperventilating due to getting a panic attack.

I would never hit her, it never even came close. But the anger flares and I can't seal it back up. It needs some outlet and on the rare occasion that I "lost it" some inanimate object was likely to meet an undeserved end (usually furniture, pillows never worked for me). I'm sure it looks scary from the outside, but it's fucking agony from my perspective.

The torrents of dehumanising, humiliating and soul destroying comments from my Mom would take their toll on me and leave me a broken mess in my late teens and early adult life. I've begun addressing the issues this caused in recent years but I can never bring this subject up with her.

Because in her mind I was the Bully.

I'm at least double the weight of her and I'm covered in hair. People have said that when I want to be I can look quite imposing. I don't like that. I'm not strong at heart... I'm pretty fucking fragile actually. I'm a coward in so far that I try to avoid conflict. This includes suppressing my own feelings as to not address certain issues I face. I'm quiet but not shy. I'm a softy and have no love for real world violence (I can like it in action movies and games without being a hypocrite). Man, I even feel bad when I kill bugs and spiders, despite having crippling arachnophobia.

So when my Mom poked and prodded me, assault me verbally with surgical precision, and I crack under the pressure... I'm the bad guy. To be fair, if someone walked in at the moment when I flip the lid I'm sure I would look pretty menacing. Again, I'm double her weight, I have a deep and loud voice and when I snap I let loose in a flurry of pent up agony.

Apparently a man should be silent and stoic. As I said earlier I'm generally quiet. But I do have feelings and she rips them out of me, throws them to the floor and stands on them.

For a Long time I had to deal with this myself. My outbursts were my own fault and I should have just sucked it up and move on. Would have loved to, but it would also got to a critical point where I couldn't maintain myself.

For years I felt like something was terribly wrong with me.

In the last 8 or so years the narrative changed somewhat. It became apparent to my Dad that I wasn't given much of a choice during these crisis points. I was often cornered while being berated, and walking away would only have her follow me and make her more hostile. He started sticking up for me and he too started being accused of bullying. Eventually their already strained relationship brokedown and he left. I was accused of being a homewrecker...

...and then I left.

I still talk to her and we meet up, but the relationship is irrevocably damaged. I'm not vindictive towards her. Besides the damage she did to me seemed to come back on her eventually (marriage break up being part of it) without any effort on my part.

I don't think she's aware of my feelings on this. Regardless, I'm not going to let her dictate to me, as an adult, what I ought to be.

I have no idea how much this will resonate with others, but frankly I don't care either. I needed to vent.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
Alex1508 said:
"today's hyper feminized society" can someone explain to me what ppl are reffering to when they use this term? As in, for example, what are the traits of this feminized society?
I think they mean that society looks down on traditional masculinity (not just the 'be head of the household if you're a guy' part). But that's just my best guess.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
Topsider said:
Alex1508 said:
"today's hyper feminized society" can someone explain to me what ppl are reffering to when they use this term? As in, for example, what are the traits of this feminized society?
I think the existence of tumblr is example enough, no?
No, tumblr has a reputation for having more radical feminists than anywhere else. It's like saying 4chan is proof of society being full of trolls. You don't have to be one to go to 4chan but there's a disproportionate amount of them there.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Ragsnstitches said:
I'm not going to tackle day to day grievances of being a man as I find it trivial. For the most part I am who am and that may or may not conform with my societies gender roles. My main issue is with my Mom, and how she perceives me.

We would frequently clash over certain subjects and things would get pretty heated. Generally it would be her trying to impose her own expectations of what a "man" like me should be doing with his life, usually threatening repercussions if I didn't bow my head and accept. Apparently I failed to live up to her standards. It got to a point where she would just stand in front of me and list off all the things "wrong" with me... and when my self esteem was on the floor that's when I would erupt in rage. Sick and tired of being constantly belittled I would just burst in despair and frustration. It was a combination of pathetic sobbing and earsplitting roars, and the occasional buckling over and hyperventilating due to getting a panic attack.

I would never hit her, it never even came close. But the anger flares and I can't seal it back up. It needs some outlet and on the rare occasion that I "lost it" some inanimate object was likely to meet an undeserved end (usually furniture, pillows never worked for me). I'm sure it looks scary from the outside, but it's fucking agony from my perspective.

The torrents of dehumanising, humiliating and soul destroying comments from my Mom would take their toll on me and leave me a broken mess in my late teens and early adult life. I've begun addressing the issues this caused in recent years but I can never bring this subject up with her.

Because in her mind I was the Bully.

I'm at least double the weight of her and I'm covered in hair. People have said that when I want to be I can look quite imposing. I don't like that. I'm not strong at heart... I'm pretty fucking fragile actually. I'm a coward in so far that I try to avoid conflict. This includes suppressing my own feelings as to not address certain issues I face. I'm quiet but not shy. I'm a softy and have no love for real world violence (I can like it in action movies and games without being a hypocrite). Man, I even feel bad when I kill bugs and spiders, despite having crippling arachnophobia.

So when my Mom poked and prodded me, assault me verbally with surgical precision, and I crack under the pressure... I'm the bad guy. To be fair, if someone walked in at the moment when I flip the lid I'm sure I would look pretty menacing. Again, I'm double her weight, I have a deep and loud voice and when I snap I let loose in a flurry of pent up agony.

Apparently a man should be silent and stoic. As I said earlier I'm generally quiet. But I do have feelings and she rips them out of me, throws them to the floor and stands on them.

For a Long time I had to deal with this myself. My outbursts were my own fault and I should have just sucked it up and move on. Would have loved to, but it would also got to a critical point where I couldn't maintain myself.

For years I felt like something was terribly wrong with me.

In the last 8 or so years the narrative changed somewhat. It became apparent to my Dad that I wasn't given much of a choice during these crisis points. I was often cornered while being berated, and walking away would only have her follow me and make her more hostile. He started sticking up for me and he too started being accused of bullying. Eventually their already strained relationship brokedown and he left. I was accused of being a homewrecker...

...and then I left.

I still talk to her and we meet up, but the relationship is irrevocably damaged. I'm not vindictive towards her. Besides the damage she did to me seemed to come back on her eventually (marriage break up being part of it) without any effort on my part.

I don't think she's aware of my feelings on this. Regardless, I'm not going to let her dictate to me, as an adult, what I ought to be.

I have no idea how much this will resonate with others, but frankly I don't care either. I needed to vent.
I left the spoiler tag so you don't have to read it all over again.

I just wanted you to know that I experienced the exact same thing as you during my upbringing.
Even down to the arachnophobia. She has even said to my face that I'm responsible for my father leaving.
The only slight difference is that I don't see myself as big (only 1,75cm, no muscles) though I am the tallest in my family.
I also have a sister that often took precedence in her view, and she even used her to hammer home the point by holding her up as a better person than me.

The verbal abuse still haunts me as I continue to live in her debt.
I rent an apartment at her 'ranch'. I'm not sure I could live elsewhere for fear of..not being able to handle things.
I'm granted transport to and from things sometimes (I don't have a drivers license since I'm afraid of failure. No, convinced of failure rather).
I often walk the 5km to the bus instead. When I can.
I'm working a low-paying job that keeps me away from 05:00 to 19:00.
I've even lost my teeth trying to harm myself. I think that's why. As a way of fighting back somehow.
I wont even mention the failed suicide attempt and thoughts. Those are over now.

I can't hold a grudge for long either, it tears me up inside.
I avoid conflict, strife and drama whenever I can. It's too mentally exhausting.
I don't blame every woman for her behavior. What she has done is on her but she lives in blissful ignorance of her superiority.
It would be so much easier not caring, but I do. I do care.

I can see why you put it in a spoiler tag. My hands are actually shaking. It was hard writing that. Very hard.

Apologies for whining and ranting.

Suhi89

Oct 9, 2013
Harpalyce said:
I'm just going to toss a radical feminist idea in here that I'm sure will bring approximately fifteen million people down upon my head screaming at the top of their lungs:

Okay, imagine a venn diagram. One part is "problems men have to deal with" along this thread's line. Another part is "problems feminism wishes to address".

Got it? Okay, good. Now let me tell you something gamechanging:

That venn diagram is just one circle. There is complete overlap.

When you go down to the root of so many of these problems, they're all about proving masculinity. They're all about doing that TO NOT BE FEMININE - and it's about the fear of being feminine. Why? Because being feminine is bad. That's what society teaches us. Therefore only the worst sort of man would be feminine, right? So men grow up with this huge burden, and that burden is lablled Don't Be Girly. It hurts them in school. It hurts them in their daily lives. It hurts their emotional development. It hurts their relationships with people. It even might hurt their careers. It's what isolates. It's what drives people to suicide. They think they've failed this standard of Don't Be Girly, or can't find a way out that's not Too Girly. I mean, for fuck's sake, it's a demonstrable thing that men don't go to the doctor when they need to because "toughing it out" is the "manly" thing to do! Never mind what that mindset does to somebody with depression - think about the guy having a heart attack who goes "no, I'm not going to the ER, I can walk this off because I'm not a sissy". Sissy. GIRLY.

At the root of all this is the fear of being girly.

So what happens when we get rid of this archaic standard that men and women must be polar opposites? What happens when we fight to make it clear that being girly is okay too, because girly doesn't mean weak?

We take away the yardstick, and men stop measuring themselves by it. Men benefit greatly by not being constrained by this set of rules to keep them from being 'too girly'.

This is like feminism 101. I'm sure it's come up in the thread before. I'm sure it'll come up again. Other people have addressed counterarguments to this better than I have, but I wanted to at least drop this idea by here. We're allies, you guys, it just takes people stepping forward to go "you know what, you're right, these archaic gender standards are totally bullshit".
No. Sorry this argument is made an few times in this thread, and I've written this response a number of times, but I'll just try to keep it to very points.

Firstly, as you admit, there is no single definition of feminism. So which feminism. Is it the one that gave us the following quotes?

"I feel that 'man-hating' is an honorable and viable political act, that the oppressed have a right to class-hatred against the class that is oppressing them."

"The male is completely egocentric, trapped inside himself, incapable of empathizing or identifying with others, or love, friendship, affection or tenderness. He is a completely isolated unit, incapable of rapport with anyone. His responses are entirely visceral, not cerebral; his intelligence is a mere tool in the services of his drives and needs; he is incapable of mental passion, mental interaction; he can't relate to anything other than his own physical sensations. He is a half-dead, unresponsive lump, incapable of giving or receiving pleasure or happiness; consequently, he is at best an utter bore, an inoffensive blob, since only those capable of absorption in others can be charming."

"Men are rapists, batterers, plunderers, killers; these same men are religious prophets, poets, heroes, figures of romance, adventure, accomplishment, figures ennobled by tragedy and defeat. Men have claimed the earth, called it 'Her'. Men ruin Her. Men have airplanes, guns, bombs, poisonous gases, weapons so perverse and deadly that they defy any authentically human imagination."

"Rape is nothing more or less than a conscious process of intimidation by which [strong]all[/strong] men keep all women in a state of fear"

"Domestic violence is the result of patriarchal ideology in which men are encouraged and expected to control their partners".

The last quote there is the basis of the Duluth Model. It leaves no room for male victims of domestic violence, or female victims of female perpetrators. It is a theory developed and promoted by feminists and it actively contributes to problems that real men face.

Another thing, try to discuss men's issues on a feminist forum. Try to convince major feminist organisations to campaign for better parental rights for dads or for better healthcare provisions for men. At best, you'll be told that they're worthy causes but it isn't a feminist organisation's job to fight for them. At worst, you'll be told that it doesn't matter that you're homeless, you're privileged scum and men aren't welcome in the feminist movement.

I'm actually a feminist, but that's because I care about the rights and privileges of women, and that's what I believe feminism is about. It's a worthy cause. If it helps men, for most feminists, it's a bonus. And when men do try to discuss their own issues in their own spaces? They're told to shut up because feminism is dealing with it. And when they try to bring up their issues in feminist spaces? They're told to shut up because feminism isn't about men.

I just think your post is like a conservative saying "you know the issues that the poor have and the issues that conservatives want to address? Well, if you draw a Venn diagram you'd just get one circle, because if we give tax cuts to the rich and push through massive deregulation, it will help the poor too. Ignore those conservatives who have said that the poor are all lazy bums. Ignore those conservative policies that have actively harmed you - we're all you really need." Sure, there a lots of conservatives who do care about the poor and a tax cut that mainly helps the rich may have the side effect of helping the poor too, but to present a single political view as the one answer ignoring any possible evidence to the contrary is just plain dogmatic.

Also, all men's problems are because they're scared of being seen as girly? All of them? Really?

Suhi89

Oct 9, 2013
Itdoesthatsometimes said:
Suhi89 said:
You ask which definition of feminism gave the following quotes. Perhaps you could help answer the question by crediting who you are quoting.
That's really my bad, I thought I'd put them in. The answers are, Robin Morgan, Valerie Solanas, Andrea Dworkin, Susan Brownmiller and the Wikipedia page for the Duluth Model in that order.

I want to repeat, I have nothing against feminism as a whole. I think advancing the rights of women is a fantastic cause. I just don't think that feminism is particularly interested in advancing the rights of men. I don't it has to, any more than the gay rights movement needs to advance the rights of straight people, but it's disingenuous to suggest that feminism is about helping men as much as women and that only through feminism can men's issues be solved, or that feminist issues and men's issues overlap entirely on the Venn diagram.

The quotes just go to show that at least part of the feminist movement is in fact anti-male and that maybe it's fair that men want their own organisations to work for them, especially given the hostility bringing up men's issues in many feminist spaces will bring.

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
Suhi89 said:
Itdoesthatsometimes said:
Suhi89 said:
You ask which definition of feminism gave the following quotes. Perhaps you could help answer the question by crediting who you are quoting.
That's really my bad, I thought I'd put them in. The answers are, Robin Morgan, Valerie Solanas, Andrea Dworkin, Susan Brownmiller and the Wikipedia page for the Duluth Model in that order.

I want to repeat, I have nothing against feminism as a whole. I think advancing the rights of women is a fantastic cause. I just don't think that feminism is particularly interested in advancing the rights of men. I don't it has to, any more than the gay rights movement needs to advance the rights of straight people, but it's disingenuous to suggest that feminism is about helping men as much as women and that only through feminism can men's issues be solved, or that feminist issues and men's issues overlap entirely on the Venn diagram.

The quotes just go to show that at least part of the feminist movement is in fact anti-male and that maybe it's fair that men want their own organisations to work for them, especially given the hostility bringing up men's issues in many feminist spaces will bring.
I think part of the problem is that you are arguing against people that can't argue against you. Robin Morgan is 73. Valerie Solanas is dead. Andrea Dworkin is dead. Susan Brownmiller is 78. Do you even know of any contemporary "anti-male" feminist examples? Or any contemporary feminists at all? I'm only asking since you seem willing to discuss the topic. Because every time "anti male" feminists are brought up its either dead White women, old White women, or boogywomen from tumblr.

Theodora

Oct 6, 2014
erttheking said:
*Sigh* You know there's kind of a generally "accepted" mindset of what a man should be in society, at least in the united states. We're supposed to be tough, we're supposed to be crude, we're not supposed to get upset at anything, we're supposed to play sports and we don't do "girly" shit, because obviously we're gay if we do.
IMHO, and this will sound vaguely conspiratorial, but I'm of the opinion society goes to great lengths to police the male gender. Ideally done under the auspicious of a Greater Good, male gender norms are heavily policed in ways that are conceived as "good," in terms of utilitarian purposes. For example, Socially Accepted male interests like being a sports fan, gear head (car enthusiast), aviation buff, ect these types of socially approved interests either involve tacit distractions like sports which occupy people with trivial things OR are things that become useful jobs OR drive one to consume goods that have a planned obsolescence. Men in Otaku spaces or just generally geeky/nerdy men are not considered true "men," because they are not focusing their interests on things that make them a utility to society. I.E. future husbands, or corporate go-getters.

Geeky stuff are culturally atypical interests and society generally doesn't like that. Males involved in these interests are thus routinely vilified as folk devils. Right now there exists a vast moral panic about Otaku males as evil misogynist devils. Even though plenty of women also exist in Otaku spaces which I think is the cause of some of this moral panic. There is a threat that this culture could gain social acceptance and if males have no punishment for absconding traditional gender norms, more of them might throw off the shackles and chains so to speak.

If males don't focus themselves on being that ideal "hard worker," who goes out and participates in the traditional economy and then marries and or produces children, I.E. serving social utilitarian purposes he is nearly universally reviled.

Harpalyce said:
When you go down to the root of so many of these problems, they're all about proving masculinity. They're all about doing that TO NOT BE FEMININE - and it's about the fear of being feminine. Why? Because being feminine is bad. That's what society teaches us. Therefore only the worst sort of man would be feminine, right? So men grow up with this huge burden, and that burden is lablled Don't Be Girly.
I disagree on the efficacy of modern Feminism to currently address the issue you present, and contest your characterization. Feminism IMHO now largely serves a conservative and even reactionary purpose of policing men INTO traditional gender norms. Males who do express atypical interests and habits are vilified even by feminists. Males existing outside the culturally accepted framework of utilitarian masculinity are demonized and currently there is even a sort of witch hunt claiming the whole of males in Otaku culture to be irredeemably "misogynists." Even though these culturally atypical interests often involve expressing habits and customs that are considered traditionally feminine.

MORE over central ideas about gender are really overthrown these days. For example the persistent meme in Anglophonic countries that credits women with insight, intuition, and access to deeper things, and men with reason, clarity, and logic isn't truly undermined ever. Simply masculine traits are declared toxic and feminine traits declared pure. An example is Anita Sarkesian criticizes games that have female protagonists but those protagonists have "male traits," or perform as one would expect a "male," to perform. Also the idea that men lack empathy and intuition. Or within academia when Feminist scholars criticized the sciences for their clinging to "logic and reason," as being essentializing of masculine hegemony and the lack of intuition made the sciences toxic and misogynistic.

TL'DR

Male gender norms are held in place by many, including many feminists because it is widely seen as being for the "greater good." IMHO these gender norms won't be challenged simply because to many people and too many power structures in society depend on its survival.

Spearmaster

Mar 10, 2010
Lokis Maliki said:
fair point.

I think the issue is that there are perceptions and that, in order to not conform to them, a person must be willing to fight for their entire life.

You might find the concept of micro-aggression and how it maintains cultural standards interesting.

Regardless, while I agree with you that a simple shift in perception is useful and could stop a lot of hurt feelings, it is sadly much easier said than done. When there is no dialogue, people feel isolated. Dialogue can create a sense that a least you are not alone. In accepting that you don't fit within the dominant paradigm for accepted behaviour, not feeling alone is worth a lot.

For this reason, I do see the distinguishing between man and male as premature here. Venting and support are two things that allow people to defy social norms. As I interpret the OP, that is what he is trying to do... to see if he is not out to lunch and foolish. That in defying extremely strict standards of social conduct, that what he is doing and feeling are not wrong.

I could be mistaken, this is just how I view the purpose of this thread.

josh

Post Note: I have traveled extensively and have only just returned to my country of birth after living abroad for ten years. I find that Western culture says to be yourself, but uses social aggression to force people to be themselves within strict delineated areas. If getting a few people to back him up so that it is easier for him to happy with the stats nature rolled him is all he needs, I for one support the OP and the thread.
Venting and support are crucial to dealing with the social pressures but part of support should be looking over possible solutions. It may be premature to enact anything but its never to early to open a dialog about possible solutions to the torment many males are facing. Venting establishes the problem, support gets individuals an emotional up-lift to get them by but its far from a solution. I'm not claiming my ideas are the only solution or even a good solution, just that we should be formulating sensible solutions. Otherwise we could just become the insular hug-boxes that many complain about.

Proto Taco

Apr 30, 2013
Frankster said:
WhiteNachos said:
I'm going to ignore the fact that the majority of both of those responses were more personal attacks than actual arguments and try to glean your argument from it.

"Men have problems as big or bigger than women's problems. Stop cramping our style with your 'feminism'."

Now I don't deny men have problems. Everyone has problems, men included. The reason I even posted here in the first place is because a common trend I see is men regaling the world with tales of masculine woe without actually doing anything about it.

You want to be taken seriously about rape? Stop joking about it with your buddies. No, as one of you so blithely pointed out, jokes do not cause rape, but they do normalize it. If you joke about something it makes it colloquial and familiar which both makes it easier to perpetrate and harder to talk about because you've minimized it in your mind and the minds of those around you by trivializing it.

If you want to be able to wear clothing that's fancy and varied, and masculine? Just do it. Go buy a utilikilt or create a manly dress, and just make it happen. Women didn't earn the social norm of wearing pants by complaining about only having skirts to wear and then never actually wearing pants. Women started actually wearing pants, and yes, they did take heat for it. So, you want to have fun masculine clothing? Wear it, make it happen, and don't mock other men who are trying to do so (here's looking at you 'manpurse' jokes).

If you want to be treated as a kind, sensitive, gentle individual, and not a stoic machine, then don't tease guys who confide in each other with gay jokes.

I realize not every man does all three of the things I listed above, and I'm well aware there's probably a fair share who don't do any of them. But they're just examples that are emblematic of a larger problem. I could list further examples for pages, but that would be overdrawing it on a public internet forum.

I will also add, that as a trans individual I've lived on both sides of the gender fence; both male and female, and I can tell you without any hint of irony that while men's problems feel grievous because they're all you know, women's problems are still far worse. I'm not going to waste any more time justifying that to you both because as one of you so astutely pointed out, that's not the purpose of this forum, but if you bother to look the evidence is there.

In closing I would simply like to be clear that it's not the act of acknowledging men's problems that irks me. What irks me is that men's problems are cheapened by people using them to devalue other, larger, problems. When men's problems are used to redirect conversations away from a systematic global oppression of women, it reduces both men's problems, and any attempt to fairly juxtapose them to women's problems, to campaign-level slander.

Men deserve to have their problems acknowledged and dealt with, but not at the expense of the other half of the population.

Deadcyde

Jan 11, 2011
there's a blog by a FTM transsexual about the main thing that men have to deal with. It generally comes down to responsibility of active agency if i remember correctly. It's worth a read if anyone can find it.

At least that's something all men have to deal with, otherwise I'm sure every guy (like every girl) has unique circumstances to deal with but gendering them would likely be disingenuous.