Project Eternity Breaks $3 million

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
The Obsidian old-school CRPG has crossed the $3 million mark [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity] this weekend, with more funds donated privately on their website through Paypal.

This puts it above above the Wasteland 2 project ($2.9 million [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2]) and second to only Double Fines Adventure game.

They've been able to expand their promise to unbelievably large levels through the extra money, adding 6 classes, 3 more races, a player house, a dungeon that is now 7 levels deep, George Ziets and now with this goal, an entire Stronghold the player can own.

The last goal is an entire new large city, but that goal is at $3.5 million and with only two days left it's going to be tight if they can fund that.

I'm incredibly happy that Obsidian are getting the chance to really make a game like this, but with so many people wanting so many things from the game, I guess anything could happen by the time it's released.

As an unthought of consequence, if Obsidian pull all their best talent onto this project, does that mean that the other Obsidian games released in the next couple of years are going to suck?

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
Some people said that there's no way they're going to break $3 million. But they were wrong.

Anyway, I am super happy for this. I backed this near the beginning, and I'm glad it's going so much above its original funding goal. That said, I don't think they'll make the $3.5 million mark (although I hope they do), but I do think they'll get a few hundred thousand more dollars by the time this is over with.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
"Does a google search" Hm...it works on Mac. Guess I don't have an excuse to not get it then. Can't back it (don't have a paypal) but I will support it by buying it when it comes out. "Does another" holy crap, same with Wasteland 2. This is awesome. I'm digging FTL: Faster Than Light and it didn't even have a tenth of the funding that these games are getting. Looking forward to them.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
erttheking said:
"Does a google search" Hm...it works on Mac. Guess I don't have an excuse to not get it then. Can't back it (don't have a paypal) but I will support it by buying it when it comes out. "Does another" holy crap, same with Wasteland 2. This is awesome. I'm digging FTL: Faster Than Light and it didn't even have a tenth of the funding that these games are getting. Looking forward to them.
You don't need paypal to back it. You can pay through amazon, which is what I do.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
BrotherRool said:
As an unthought of consequence, if Obsidian pull all their best talent onto this project, does that mean that the other Obsidian games released in the next couple of years are going to suck?
Well the only other game they're working on is the South Park game (I don't think the Wheel of Time game is in development at the moment), which is due out in a few months.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
The 3.5 million goal might not be as lofty as it seems. They are also raising money through PayPal in parallel with Kickstarter. I've noticed updates where they announced having met a stretch goal despite being 200K away from its mark on the Kickstarter page. So they could actually be close to 3.5 million now.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
DustyDrB said:
The 3.5 million goal might not be as lofty as it seems. They are also raising money through PayPal in parallel with Kickstarter. I've noticed updates where they announced having met a stretch goal despite being 200K away from its mark on the Kickstarter page. So they could actually be close to 3.5 million now.
This is a good point. We really don't have any idea how much money is from the paypal thing. I totally forgot about that. With this knowledge, I now actually do think they'll hit the 3.5 million mark.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
SaintlyTurkey said:
BrotherRool said:
Well the only other game they're working on is the South Park game (I don't think the Wheel of Time game is in development at the moment), which is due out in a few months.
They'll have other projects though, they have way more staff than 3 million worth, so presumably they will still be working with publishers to make normal games. Just without a lot of their talent (although I guess people the people at the top can probably work on several projects at once)

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
The last 48 hours tends to see a huge surge for Kickstarters, so it's possible they could hit 3.5 million. I remember Wasteland 2 making up a LOT of ground during that time.

Pleased about the Stronghold. Now if we can just get that 2nd city...

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
The DFA Kickstarter had a surge of 600,000 in the final 24 hours, and current estimates have P:E trending better than the aforementioned on every single day. Not only that, but they've said they've raised at least $80,000 so far just on Paypal, putting the current number just over $3.1 mil with 55 hours to go.

It's going to clear $3.5 - no doubt about that. The only people saying otherwise aren't remembering their history.

Sp3ratus

Apr 11, 2009
DustyDrB said:
ohnoitsabear said:
This is a good point. We really don't have any idea how much money is from the paypal thing. I totally forgot about that. With this knowledge, I now actually do think they'll hit the 3.5 million mark.
Mcoffey said:
EDIT: Do we know how much they've got with Paypal?
PayPal is $75,795, when it was last updated by Obsidian with 1385 backers. That takes PE to 3,1 mil as of writing leaving still 400k to go. It's doable sure, especially with the last minute surges some of the other Kickstarters have experienced, but it's still a lot of money. I'd really love it, if it gets there though, as another huge city would be awesome.

I'm really happy with how the campaign have gone and the sheer amount of talent involved in the project. April 2014 can't come fast enough!

EDIT: Ninjaed by crazyrabbits, but still, I'm excited about this!

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
I think it's super awesome what happened with this project. I'm really excited about what will come out of it. Also, only earlier this week they had about 2.6 million, I was really surprised when the project update mentioned 2.8 million (and George Ziets) only a relatively short time after.

Project Eternity keeps supplying me with amusement. My flatmate and I are both backers and pretty much every day we have a discussion about how the project is going.

I even increased my pledge, to include the future expansion. Because, why not?

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
I never really got into isometric CRPG's but I guess now is a good a time as any to start. This game is looking great, and I love Obsidian, I'll be keeping an eye on this.

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
I'm super excited for this. I really like how they keep adding new bits for the backers too. It feels like they care a lot about the game and the people who support it, which in the industry these days feels so rare.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
So I decided to chip in with the $25 thing.
Hoping this'll be good. The lore seems a touch... generic at times, but hopefully it'll be good.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
One of the good things is the project hit $3 million at just the right time. Hopefully tomorrow all the major gaming news sources should be publishing their 'Obsidian Kickstart makes $3 million articles' bringing in a lot of attention and reminding people there's only 2 days left so there's a time pressure to put the money in now.

Sp3ratus said:
PayPal is $75,795, when it was last updated by Obsidian with 1385 backers. That takes PE to 3,1 mil as of writing leaving still 400k to go. It's doable sure, especially with the last minute surges some of the other Kickstarters have experienced, but it's still a lot of money. I'd really love it, if it gets there though, as another huge city would be awesome.
I've found it really interesting watching how the rate of money coming in has changed over the 30 days. There was a big start that got quicker and quicker and then it dropped off really sharply within a week. It hit $2.2 million quicker than Wasteland 2, so I was hopeful it would break $3 million, but then it seemed like in the next 2 weeks, it barely increased by anything at all. Now it's increased by almost 400 000 in a couple of days. I guess it's all to be expected, but it must be so nerve wracking watching your project and seeing all the money fizzle out until right before the last moment.

TeletubbiesGolfGun

Sep 7, 2012
FelixG said:
Awesome, I will love the stronghold, it really made NwN2 stand out and I think it will be an awesome addition to this.

It makes me a little disappointed though that it makes the 2.2 goal kind of less than impressive and or useless
agreed, loved that part of NwN2, was quite excited to see it was added to the stretch goals

OT: if i had more money at my disposal I would add another 30 bucks to it, but at this moment I just bought another dominion expansion so can't spend any more money...

hopefully they get it, another big city would be a huge chunk of icing to the cake!

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I was silly to doubt, already over 3.2 million (including paypal) with a day and a half left and before the news stories have hit