Proposed Bill Gives Obama Power to Shut Down Internet

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
A random person said:
MsDevin92 said:
Five dollars says this leads to soccer moms abusing the possible bill to get different websites shut down altogether...
I see your bet and raise you $100.
I see your $100 and raise you a Maddox.

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
Bertinan said:
Finally, I want to say one last statement, about the general idea of internet and phone monitoring...none of you are important enough for the government to waste it's time with. Think about how much each and every single person talks on the phone each day. Then think about those that talk in foreign languages, in leet speak, in random nonsense codes. Add in the jokes/idle threats people make all the time, such as "I'm going to kill Bush, he's such an idiot." The intelligence agencies TRIED the monitoring bit once, back in the McCarthy era. It failed, miserably. It's been proven that it can't be done. Even when they did the phone taps, it was very specifically targeted.
If Gmail and Yahoo! mail can throw together a few bots that scan your inbox for keywords and advertise to you, the government can do the same. And they aren't trying to sell you anything.

The founders of this country knew what dick-heads government types could be. They saw tyrants crop up again and again throughout history and gave us our rights and limited the rights of government as a means of protecting us from this.

When we willfully give up these rights and let the government step outside it's bounds, we lose that protection.

Maybe the almighty and infallible Obama will do the right thing with this power. But considering he gets his information from an armada of un-elected bureaucrats (saying the same thing twice, I know), each with his/her own agenda, we can't be sure this will ever be used responsibly.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
This is disgusting. The internet is a worldwide connection, one person can't have the power to shut it down if he feels like it.

I don't think this will get passed. It doesn't outline what qualifies as a threat or reason for it's use, that basically means he could use it whenever he saw fit. There are better ways of defending the network than being able to shut it down.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Nivag said:
That's actually pretty funny. What kind of emergency would need the internet to be stopped.
Someone hacking the U.S missile system? I think it's been done before.

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
Labyrinth said:
Oh wonderful. Further means for the US to police the world and it's free speech. Security is pointless unless it guarantees privacy, and is paramount upon the latter being preserved. Governments would do better to act on the needs of their people rather than their own fears of the people's dissent.
Come to think of it america is turning into a communist country

if they do..... then i will happily use my doorstop (which is a nuclear missile) on them

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
WrongSprite said:
Nivag said:
That's actually pretty funny. What kind of emergency would need the internet to be stopped.
Wait, why is something that critical online and therefore vulnerable to attack? Oh right, because everything is online [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EverythingIsOnline].

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
A random person said:
WrongSprite said:
Nivag said:
Wait, why is something that critical online and therefore vulnerable to attack? Oh right, because everything is online [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EverythingIsOnline].
I'm fairly certain the presidant does have remote internet access to nuclear stockpiles. Can't remember where I read it though.

jeffdadrumma1

Jun 8, 2009
Nivag said:
Lol seriously. What the heck do they mean a "cyber Katrina" it's not like the internet could make the levis fall down again... Or create a hurricane... Or harm anything at all...

If the government shuts down the internet, they're taking away a large part of our supposed "Freedom of Speech"... What I mean is that the government can control the newspapers and newstations, the magazines and posters, but the one thing that the government can't control is the internet. This probably annoys the crap out of them.

Oh yeah, and Obama's all for creating new jobs; that was one of the main parts of his presidential campaign. If he got rid of the internet, he'd be taking away tons of jobs!

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
A random person said:
Lexodus said:
A random person said:
MsDevin92 said:
Five dollars says this leads to soccer moms abusing the possible bill to get different websites shut down altogether...
I see your Maddox and raise you my moderately sized nuclear arsenal.
I see your moderately-sized nuclear arsenal and raise you not only a hyphen, but also a /b/.

sneak_copter

Nov 3, 2008
Hold on, would this actually SHUT DOWN independent servers? Because regardless of who you are, Mr. Obama, that's illegal.

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
Lexodus said:
A random person said:
Lexodus said:
A random person said:
MsDevin92 said:
I see your moderately-sized nuclear arsenal and raise you not only a hyphen, but also a /b/.
I see /b/, and raise you my secret floating continent.

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
A random person said:
Lexodus said:
A random person said:
Lexodus said:
A random person said:
MsDevin92 said:
I see your secret floating continent and raise you Hitler's brain implanted into the body of a great white shark.

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
Lexodus said:
A random person said:
Lexodus said:
A random person said:
Lexodus said:
A random person said:
MsDevin92 said:
I see your secret floating continent and raise you Hitler's brain implanted into the body of a great white shark.
I see your shark with Hitler's brain and raise you my army of bear-sharks with laser beams.