PS3 Hacker Raised All the Legal Funds Needed to Beat Sony in a Weekend

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Hardcore_gamer said:
Oh great, now I guess that stupid fuck will continue to consider himself as being some kind of a crusader because other people that are just as stupid as him are sending him money.

I honestly can't think of any legal advantages that a modded PS3 could provide that is worth all of this hassle.

EDIT: I just read the article again and I can't believe that the admin who posted it actually supports him. If hacking PS3's is made ok then it will lead to nothing but bad shit for everybody, besides the pirates.
agreed, also if you looked at the link provided at the end of the article look at what the guy said:

Anyways, I hope that my explanation makes everything clearer to you, and that you will not judge me for what I do, because I am not a cheater, I am a freedom fighter.
That makes me sick.

Desworks

Nov 18, 2009
Korten12 said:
Like I said in another topic:

If they win they will say "Its just for homebrewing!"

5 days later PSN shuts down due too many hackers and pirates because its 'legal'.
Well, no. The purpose of this case would be to decide on the legality of hacking your own bought and paid for console. However, regardless, Sony are free to ban anyone who uses such a hack from the Playstation Network, as the terms of the PSN involve following the EULA, which this hack obviously does not. So all the folks who do hack their PS3 won't be on the PSN ruining it for everyone, but that will be fine by them because they can do their own thing offline.

RooksEye

Mar 17, 2009
Everyone acts like Sony's gonna shut down PSN, but that would basically be telling Microsoft and Nintendo, "You win!". I really doubt they would do that, no matter how bad piracy is. And I do agree with Geohot, once I've paid for it, it's mine, not Sony's(or any other companies). I can hack it, crack it, jailbreak it, do nothing to it, toss it out the window, or in my case, use it as a dust collector.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
So the guy finds the keys to the jail cells... then gives the keys to the inmates and won't claim he did anything wrong because he's not telling the inmates what to use them for?

Sorry dude but I'm with Sony on this one. While taking away the ability to install Linux was a pretty dick move completely releasing the how-to guide for jailbreaking the PS3 for piracy is not the proper counter-measure. Unless you wanted super-strict DRM on consoles.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Desworks said:
Korten12 said:
Like I said in another topic:

If they win they will say "Its just for homebrewing!"

5 days later PSN shuts down due too many hackers and pirates because its 'legal'.
Well, no. The purpose of this case would be to decide on the legality of hacking your own bought and paid for console. However, regardless, Sony are free to ban anyone who uses such a hack from the Playstation Network, as the terms of the PSN involve following the EULA, which this hack obviously does not. So all the folks who do hack their PS3 won't be on the PSN ruining it for everyone, but that will be fine by them because they can do their own thing offline.
Maybe I'm missing something here, but isn't the whole idea behind the hacked rootkey that you have complete control over the entire console? Even if Sony bans hackers from PSN, the control over the rootkey will allow players to jump right back in.

The_Yeti

Jan 17, 2011
Deshin said:
I really have to ask.

When did we as a consumer base decide it was ok to hand over all our consumer rights and consumer privilages over to companies and let them dictate what we do and how we do it? Once upon a time the customer used to be the most powerful force going, you piss them off and your machine tanks, it was as simple as that. And the ever-daunting piracy looming over the companies's heads was a reminder not to publish crap; a quality-ensurance service in a way. But now the big boys throw their weight around, instead of fearing the consumer's wrath they bend the consumer over a pinball machine and go to town.

Now we have DRMs which are a hinderance to people who legally and legitimately purchased their games. We have first-day and pre-order DLC for games which force people to buy a game without any review or demonstration (I'm looking at you, Dragon Age 2). We have locked content on most disks that gets sold to us weeks later. Yet in all this massive shitstorm the generation has surely the fans would unite and speak up in outrage over how we're being treated. Yet no, all we get are apologists and fanboys, defending the actions under the guise of it's all to protect the almighty dollar/pound/yen and that's more important than actually treating customers fairly.

This is why games aren't considered art, because no art seeks to fuck over its consumers as much as video games do.
Seriously? the only consumers getting burned today are those that buy before reviewing, and those foolish enough to get caught fiddling with software or openly spamming piracy loopholes. we as the consumers should definitely be annoyed at Sony for not making the ps3 in its own right wired to self destruct if tampered with, but the morons tampering with software for the means of piracy or hacking are the ones who are ruining it for everybody, they should be burned at the stake with their parents in tow because clearly they've failed horribly and now we the consumers that understand games are built not just for money, but on money, who are willing to pay or wait to give game/system developers their dues, are the ones getting toasted on both sides because of these idle-minded a$sclowns that apparently believe that they are fighting a just cause when they are really whaling on pedestrians and businessmen in a shroom daze.

thenoblitt

May 7, 2009
Korten12 said:
Quiet Stranger said:
I hope he wins, it is our right to do what we want to the PS3 after we buy it, I remember one time when I was delivering Pizza, the people were playing Super Mario All stars on their PS3. They looked like they were having lots of fun, now they can't cause Sony are asshoes
Uh, no they have no right to be playing SMAS on their PS3. No matter if the game is fun, they pirated the game and hacked the console? Thats like double the offense.

If someone pirates a game and says they're having "fun" doesn't suddenly pardon them.
you can still own the game and put it on there, all you have to do is extract the data from the game cartridge and transfer it to the ps3, its not illegal because you bought both of them and you can do whatever you want besides letting everyone else have it cause then that would be pirating

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Hardcore_gamer said:
If Sony stops making money of PS online because everybody just downloads free shit then Sony will no longer have any reason to properly support the console anymore. Sure, the PS store won't just go away in a month, but in the long term this would mean inferior services in the future and generally less support from Sony (and perhaps other companies as well if other companies will also have to tolerate the hacking of their devices). Its amazing how extremely shortsighted the supporters of this jackass appear to be.
I'm sure even Valve is probably scratching themselves behind the head over this whole matter, with them putting Steam on PS3 and everything.

Madman123456

Feb 11, 2011
Mackheath said:
You pay for it, you agree to the rules and to abide by them. Don't like it? Don't do it.
A little Problem with that, Sony changed the Rules. Bought the console and then the manufacturer decides to update the software? Well, you're fucked then. At least if it where up to Sony.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Wonder how long it'll take the people demanding this "freedom" to start complaining when the PSN consists solely of hackers with godmode and autoaim all playing on their own servers because the official ones have been shut down because said hacks are now "legal"

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I don't know how to feel about this. I don't pirate and feel that those that do may int he future ruin my experience. I also respect Sony a hell of a lot to be able to withstand piracy for so long. But at the same time Sony had no right to pull the support for different OSs, and should have seen this coming. I will follow this case with interest.

Also, I think one of the reasons the PS3 hasn't sold as well as the other boys may be because you can't pirate on it. So who knows, it may benefit them!

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Hardcore_gamer said:
Casual Shinji said:
Hardcore_gamer said:
If Sony stops making money of PS online because everybody just downloads free shit then Sony will no longer have any reason to properly support the console anymore. Sure, the PS store won't just go away in a month, but in the long term this would mean inferior services in the future and generally less support from Sony (and perhaps other companies as well if other companies will also have to tolerate the hacking of their devices). Its amazing how extremely shortsighted the supporters of this jackass appear to be.
I'm sure even Valve is probably scratching themselves behind the head over this whole matter, with them putting Steam on PS3 and everything.
What does STEAM have to do with this?
Well since SteamWorks (not the part that allows you to buy games, only cloud saves, updates, etc...) is coming to the PS3 with Portal 2, they might think that it might too be hacked.

Desworks

Nov 18, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Maybe I'm missing something here, but isn't the whole idea behind the hacked rootkey that you have complete control over the entire console? Even if Sony bans hackers from PSN, the control over the rootkey will allow players to jump right back in.
If Sony can detect the fact that you've hacked the console, as I would assume they can, then jumping back in should just get the console banned again. So access to the Network would be blocked either way. If Sony can't detect the hack, it raises the question of how they decide who to ban in the first place. So I certainly hope that Sony can detect the hack, and a simple check when signing onto the network would then solve that problem for everyone. If I am wrong about this, of course, feel free to link me up some info. I like knowing even more about such things!

IndianaJonny

Mysteron Display Team
Jan 6, 2011
I don't want to come across as telling you how to do your job Greg, but please keep tabs on this story and where it goes in the near future - I'd love to hear how this guy gets on.

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
Aeshi said:
Wonder how long it'll take the people demanding this "freedom" to start complaining when the PSN consists solely of hackers with godmode and autoaim all playing on their own servers because the official ones have been shut down because said hacks are now "legal"
I'm calling bull right now. PC gamers have had hackers since the stone age and Xbox 360 has its fair share of hackers. Ya know what we do on 360? You see someone hacking, you report them, it gets looked into, then you see a month later that a million accounts were banned and you look up the guy you saw hacking and see a nice big red "Cheater" flag across his name. That's his last warning and if he pulls it again he's banned from playing online. But hey, that's a company actually working to protect its interests rather than swinging the lawyer ball at anything they don't like the look of.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Hardcore_gamer said:
Casual Shinji said:
Hardcore_gamer said:
What does STEAM have to do with this?
...Apparently nothing.

I'm not very well-versed in the art of hacking so I don't know how far the rootkey hack is going to reach for the PS3. But since Valve is putting Steamworks on the PS3, I'm sure they're not too happy about this whole situation. Though maybe it won't cause them any problems at all. Like I said, I'm just a layman.