PS3 Hacker Raised All the Legal Funds Needed to Beat Sony in a Weekend

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
inFAMOUSCowZ said:
as long as he doesnt pirate anything, he better win. Since the console is now his.
See though, its not what he does, it what the rest do after all of this!

Choppaduel

Mar 20, 2009
Korten12 said:
Like I said in another topic:

If they win they will say "Its just for homebrewing!"

5 days later PSN shuts down due too many hackers and pirates because its 'legal'.
Maybe then they'll finally focus on what's important. Single player & local multi.

PSN & by extension XBL shut down would be a positive thing imo.

Nikki_Viper

Nov 30, 2010
Deshin said:
I really have to ask.

When did we as a consumer base decide it was ok to hand over all our consumer rights and consumer privilages over to companies and let them dictate what we do and how we do it? Once upon a time the customer used to be the most powerful force going, you piss them off and your machine tanks, it was as simple as that. And the ever-daunting piracy looming over the companies's heads was a reminder not to publish crap; a quality-ensurance service in a way. But now the big boys throw their weight around, instead of fearing the consumer's wrath they bend the consumer over a pinball machine and go to town.

Now we have DRMs which are a hinderance to people who legally and legitimately purchased their games. We have first-day and pre-order DLC for games which force people to buy a game without any review or demonstration (I'm looking at you, Dragon Age 2). We have locked content on most disks that gets sold to us weeks later. Yet in all this massive shitstorm the generation has surely the fans would unite and speak up in outrage over how we're being treated. Yet no, all we get are apologists and fanboys, defending the actions under the guise of it's all to protect the almighty dollar/pound/yen and that's more important than actually treating customers fairly.

This is why games aren't considered art, because no art seeks to fuck over its consumers as much as video games do.
Actually, Dragon Age 2 is forcing people to play the demo and GET an advanced demonstration before it releases the bonus items. The bonus items are only available if 1,000,000 people download AND play the demo. I do, however, understand the point you were making

stabnex

Jun 30, 2009
Extra Credits said it best: "Do not tangle with the kind of people who would install Linux on their PlayStation. You're going to lose."

I sold a 60 GB PS3 to someone. It had never been hooked up to PSN. That someone replaced the 60 GB HDD with a 500 GB HDD and installed Ubuntu on it. After a while he found out there was some awesome DLC for a game he bought with it so he purchased a $100 Cat5 cable to run to it and was insta-banned. He's suing Sony right now.

Sony Development makes a FINE product. But the rest of the company HATES its consumers with vengeance.

TK421

Apr 16, 2009
Generic Gamer said:
I know this is going to be abused, I just know that people are going to use this for piracy, maybe even this guy will.

However, in this case, I believe he is in the right. MacGyvering your own belongings is your right, you paid for the item so the physical item belongs to you. if I want to change a device's functionality it shouldn't be a crime, unless I then use that device to commit another crime. In that case the crime makes me a criminal.
This is exactly how I feel about it. It isn't right for them to try and control what people do with their own property.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
Good luck, Geohot!

Mackheath said:
You pay for it, you agree to the rules and to abide by them. Don't like it? Don't do it.
Instead this time it's more like this: You pay for it, agree to the rules and then Sony says "Hahahaha, the rules have changed. Don't like it? Well, too bad".

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
DVS Storm said:
This is not cool even though many will be like "Yay now I can hax with mah PS3". Has anyone thought of the consequences? Infinity Ward has stated(not sure about Treyarch) that they will close MW servers for PS3 if there are too many hackers there. No-one can control what someone does with their PS3 anymore because apparently PS network doesn't regognize a pirated game from a real one. It is really going to harm Sony and the gaming industry. Even though I'm a Xbox gamer I'm still worried because well who wants to invest to a big game when the gamers are just going to pirate it. And it could also mean DRM for PS3...Who knows(this whole post is just hypothetical but it's plausible.) But I think it is good that someone showed Sony that their system is not perfect.
I'm more concerned about he consequences of console makers being able to sue whenever their hardware is used incorrectly. If Sony can keep getting away with it who will come next? What if Apple decides people are only allowed to install their first-party programs on a Mac? It could happen.

Honestly, most people don't have the skills or knowledge or even the care to go to the effort of hacking a console. And for most, the threat of having their gamertag deleted and/or banned is deterrent enough. The whole piracy thing is blown way out of proportion, if they would start lowering the prices of games and consoles (if supply is higher than demand, lower prices and demand goes up. Basic economics) then they would sell many more units.

blarghblarghhhhh

Mar 16, 2010
Korten12 said:
Hardcore_gamer said:
Casual Shinji said:
Hardcore_gamer said:
If Sony stops making money of PS online because everybody just downloads free shit then Sony will no longer have any reason to properly support the console anymore. Sure, the PS store won't just go away in a month, but in the long term this would mean inferior services in the future and generally less support from Sony (and perhaps other companies as well if other companies will also have to tolerate the hacking of their devices). Its amazing how extremely shortsighted the supporters of this jackass appear to be.
I'm sure even Valve is probably scratching themselves behind the head over this whole matter, with them putting Steam on PS3 and everything.
What does STEAM have to do with this?
Well since SteamWorks (not the part that allows you to buy games, only cloud saves, updates, etc...) is coming to the PS3 with Portal 2, they might think that it might too be hacked.
maybe the plan has been to let steam take over the psn this whole time and sony is just going to use this whole thing as an excuse to bring it on along with the drm. im not crazy, just food for thought.

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
Awexsome said:
So the guy finds the keys to the jail cells... then gives the keys to the inmates and won't claim he did anything wrong because he's not telling the inmates what to use them for?
Very bad analogy, that's already painting the image of a criminal before the fact. Here's a better one:

A company sells door locks, people love these door locks, they buy them and put them on doors, some even put them on windows, cars, anything they can find. Now the lock company has sold a lot they decide it's time to make a rule that states you can only put them on doors, not only that but they dictate what kind of things you are allowed to keep locked up. One day someone decides to pick the lock and shows everyone else how incredibly easy it is to pick a lock. Now the company wants to take the locksmith to court and sue the pants off him.

Or, the best analogy going, and this is a good one:
Sony made a system and prided itself over its competition by having free online, open OS, and strong security. The arguments for years to come would be "PS3 is better because of..." and that would make it fight off its two contenders, MS and Nintendo. Then one day, Sony saw they had made enough sales so they decided to change the rules midway and remove the otherOS, who cares if they piss of a few nerds right? Someone called them out on this bullshit and put otherOS back on his system. To do this he had to take the whole thing apart and figure out how it works. He then showed other people how to do this, of course bearing in mind that taking it apart you could do *other* things to it but that's not the goal. So now Sony are faced with a console with the security features of a toaster and now their gambit isn't paying off they're firing the lawyer cannons hoping to win by intimidation and scare tactics.

Desworks

Nov 18, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
I'm not very well-versed in the art of hacking so I don't know how far the rootkey hack is going to reach for the PS3. But since Valve is putting Steamworks on the PS3, I'm sure they're not too happy about this whole situation. Though maybe it won't cause them any problems at all. Like I said, I'm just a layman.
Steamworks shouldn't be affected by this, after all, it's already available on the PC. If you were going to hack it, you'd do it there.

Edit: I just noticed that I've quoted you again Casual Shinji. it's just coincidence I swear! I'm not stalking you or anything.
>.>
<.<

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
Nikki_Viper said:
Actually, Dragon Age 2 is forcing people to play the demo and GET an advanced demonstration before it releases the bonus items. The bonus items are only available if 1,000,000 people download AND play the demo. I do, however, understand the point you were making
Not that, the thing they had before about the "Signature edition" or something like that. More or less if you pre-ordered it in 2010 (when all we had was CGI cutscenes and empty promises (just like DA1!)) you'd get a "bonus" character and a few other in game things which are probably going to be on the disk anyway and unlockable after a few months after paying X amount of points.

ragethebeast

Oct 19, 2010
Correct me if i'm wrong, but itsn't this just like buying a house?

I mean you buy a house and pay if off, but you still have to pay for it and even more you have to abide by city codes... its your house but the city can tell you how long your grass can be, what color your house can be and if you don't do this they fine the hell out of you. no matter if your 3 inch grass was okay when you bought the house... now you need 2 inch grass and you need to repaint your house... its the same deal and no one complains like a whiny ***** like geohot is doing.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
Does anyone else think that it's retarded that who is legally right can be determined by money?

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
Mazty said:
If you buy a gun is it your right to do anything you want with it? Is it your right to do anything you want with a PC? No, you have to abide by the laws and rules. Simple as that.
All this talk condoning Sony is naive jibberish. Geohotz simply allowed pirating to occur on the PS3. That means developers and publishers lose out because some kid thinks it's his god-given right to do what he wants. Sorry, that's not how the world works.
... YES, IT IS! It is well within his legal right to do what he wants with the product he's purchased. That IS how the world works. Sony's lawsuit aginst him is questionable at best and downright illegal at worst. Sheesh

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Deshin said:
I really have to ask.

When did we as a consumer base decide it was ok to hand over all our consumer rights and consumer privilages over to companies and let them dictate what we do and how we do it? Once upon a time the customer used to be the most powerful force going, you piss them off and your machine tanks, it was as simple as that. And the ever-daunting piracy looming over the companies's heads was a reminder not to publish crap; a quality-ensurance service in a way. But now the big boys throw their weight around, instead of fearing the consumer's wrath they bend the consumer over a pinball machine and go to town.

Now we have DRMs which are a hinderance to people who legally and legitimately purchased their games. We have first-day and pre-order DLC for games which force people to buy a game without any review or demonstration (I'm looking at you, Dragon Age 2). We have locked content on most disks that gets sold to us weeks later. Yet in all this massive shitstorm the generation has surely the fans would unite and speak up in outrage over how we're being treated. Yet no, all we get are apologists and fanboys, defending the actions under the guise of it's all to protect the almighty dollar/pound/yen and that's more important than actually treating customers fairly.

This is why games aren't considered art, because no art seeks to fuck over its consumers as much as video games do.
If any company pisses you off grow some balls and stop buy their stuff. Tell them why you are pissed so they know. Hell, find people that feel the same way and start making some noise.

Consumer power can't be taken away, you have to give it away.

If you feel that developers are forcing you to buy a game with out knowing about it first because of launch day DLC you truly have given away you consumer power. No one forces me to do anything I don't want to. And you Dragon age example is moot.

LOL, that piracy is a quality-assurance service, if a game is a pile of heaping crap way steal it? You want quality assurance demand it. Let the developer know you are pissed at the quality of a product, then DO BUY IT (don't steal it either). Downloading the game off the web in your room alone, where no one will know does NOTHING to prevent the release of shit games.

And OMG could you be anymore wrong about why game are yet to be classified as art.

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
ragethebeast said:

I mean you buy a house and pay if off, but you still have to pay for it and even more you have to abide by city codes... its your house but the city can tell you how long your grass can be, what color your house can be and if you don't do this they fine the hell out of you. no matter if your 3 inch grass was okay when you bought the house... now you need 2 inch grass and you need to repaint your house... its the same deal and no one complains like a whiny ***** like geohot is doing.
Are you honestly saying buying and maintaining a house is the exact same circumstance, both legally and ethically, as owning a video games console?

... I don't... but... thanks you've just cost me a good month of life due to the number of brain cells that just decided it's better to self destruct than process that.

Would people stop bringing stupid analogies that can't be compared to the same scenario and expect it to work just fine?

dragontiers

The Temporally Displaced
Feb 26, 2009
ragethebeast said:

It's more analogous to buying a house and having the realtor (sp), after purchase, sue you for adding on a deck, or planting a garden in the back. The government isn't the one telling him what he can or can't do with his system, Sony is.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Deshin said:
Mazty said:
If you buy a gun is it your right to do anything you want with it? Is it your right to do anything you want with a PC? No, you have to abide by the laws and rules. Simple as that.
All this talk condoning Sony is naive jibberish. Geohotz simply allowed pirating to occur on the PS3. That means developers and publishers lose out because some kid thinks it's his god-given right to do what he wants. Sorry, that's not how the world works.
... YES, IT IS! It is well within his legal right to do what he wants with the product he's purchased. That IS how the world works. Sony's lawsuit aginst him is questionable at best and downright illegal at worst. Sheesh
Ummm... I am pretty sure it is against the law to take the gun which you acquired legally and use it to hold up a liquor store, or murder some one with it, or shoot puppies in the head with it.

I am also pretty sure that using a legally acquired computer to hack a bank or interrupt website services is against the law, as well.

I hope you were being sarcastic.