PS3 Hacker Raised All the Legal Funds Needed to Beat Sony in a Weekend

Logan55689

Jan 7, 2011
Korten12 said:
Quiet Stranger said:
I hope he wins, it is our right to do what we want to the PS3 after we buy it, I remember one time when I was delivering Pizza, the people were playing Super Mario All stars on their PS3. They looked like they were having lots of fun, now they can't cause Sony are assholes
Uh, no they have no right to be playing SMAS on their PS3. No matter if the game is fun, they pirated the game and hacked the console? Thats like double the offense.

If someone pirates a game and says they're having "fun" doesn't suddenly pardon them.
...Really? Do you think that even though they bought the piece of technology, legally, mind you, that they don't then have the right to use it to their discretion? So, simply because the company didn't like it, they have the right to destroy the person's enjoyment because it wasn't sanctioned by the gormless corporation? Think in the terms of the people, what do they believe? Most people would see that the hackers had atrophied and crushed potential, and that the corporation was, in fact, in the wrong, for constricting their creativity.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
dragontiers said:
ragethebeast said:
Also since he agreed to the EULA and ToS on purchasing the console:

Except as stated in this Agreement, all content and software provided through Sony Online Services are licensed non-exclusively and revocably to you, your children and children for whom you are a legal guardian (collectively for purposes of this section, "You" or "Your"), solely for Your personal, private, non-transferable, non-commercial, limited use on a limited number of activated PlayStation®3 computer entertainment systems, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) systems, VOD Devices and any other hardware devices, including peripherals that are sold or licensed by a Sony company, authorized by SCEA in the country in which your account is registered. All intellectual property rights subsisting in Sony Online Services, including all software, data, and content subsisting in or in connection with the operation of Sony Online Services, the Online ID, the access to content and hardware used in connection with Sony Online Services (collectively defined as "Property"), belong to SCEA and its licensors. All use or access to Property shall be subject to the terms of this Agreement, other applicable agreements, if any, and all applicable copyright and intellectual property rights laws. You may not sell, rent, sublicense, modify, adapt, translate, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble any portion of the Property . Except as stated in this Agreement or otherwise expressly permitted by SCEA in writing, you may not reproduce or transfer any portion of the Property. You may not create any derivative works, attempt to create the source code from the object code, or download or use any Property for any purpose other than as expressly permitted. You may not bypass, disable, or circumvent any encryption, security, digital rights management or authentication mechanism in connection with Sony Online Services

Later on in setion 12.

Some content may be provided automatically without notice when you sign in. Such content may include automatic updates or upgrades which may change your current operating system, cause a loss of data or content or cause a loss of functionalities or utilities. Such upgrades or updates may be provided for system software for your PlayStation®3

So techincally he did something he agreed not to do ( section 12 is in response to the change in other os feature QQ...buy a computer you bums)
The problem here is EULA's are not legally binding. The fact that they claim you are agreeing to it simply by purchasing the product, before even getting a chance to read it, makes it invalid. Also, he has stated he does not use PSN, nor intends to, so therefore he is not held to the PSN Eula either. Contracts are only legally binding if both parties actually agree to them.
Ummm, no. You're thinking of a shrink wrap contract. The thing is that the PS3 EULA is legally binding debause you can look it up online and print if off. If you can look at the contract before you make the purchase, than the contract is legal.

Doctor Glocktor

Aug 1, 2009
Mazty said:
Doctor Glocktor said:
Joseph375 said:
If GEOHOT wins, the hackers/pirates win and the consumers get screwed.
If Sony wins, the consumers win, and the hackers/pirates are defeated for now.

I admit that Sony isn't completely in the right, and they shouldn't punish good gamers for what the hackers/pirates do, but if GEOHOT wins PSN will be complete anarchy and Sony may take away more features. It is in the best interest of all non-pirate gamers that GEOHOT loses.

If Sony wins, the consumers lose rights to homebrew, but the hackers/pirates lose rights to hack/pirate.
Not really.

If Geohot wins, people have the rights to do what they wish to their property.

Remember, PSN is a service, which Sony has every right to deny to pirates and hackers. I believe the issue is him hacking the PS3 itself, which he has every right to, as its his property.
Are you allowed to do whatever you want to a DVD, like burn it to your PC?
Yes.
Are you then allowed to distribute that copy to other people on the net, even though it's your property?
No.
Your rights don't extend 100% over what you own as you seem to believe.
I said before, he should not have leaked the codes. Other than that, whats the problem?

anyGould

Sep 17, 2007
Sniper Team 4 said:
People like this bother me. "I'm completely against activity X, but here, let me give you a step-by-step guide on how to do activity X. But remember, I'm against it!" It's like writing a book on how to rape a woman, then someone follows your book. You knew it was going to happen, but you did it anyway because it's your "right".
No, it's like saying "I don't support breaking and entering, but here is how to pick a lock. Don't pick locks you don't own."

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Gindil said:
Mackheath said:
You pay for it, you agree to the rules and to abide by them. Don't like it? Don't do it.
The jailbreaking of the iPod disagrees with you.
The jailbreaking of the iPod doesn't result in games being stoled from the app store. Hacking a PS3 does. Jailbroken iPods get their own custom apps. Hacked PS3 play stolen games. Huge difference my friend.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Hahaha, awesome. Good for him, it's his property, fuck what Sony thinks about it. Even though I own and love my PS3, I really want Sony to go down in flames on this one.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
joebear15 said:
so if i am to understand this correctly
Hardcore_gamer said:
Xanthious said:
Hardcore_gamer said:
Kyoh said:
I think a lot of people are reading this wrong.

Geohot is NOT supporting piracy, nor is he supporting hacking games to cheat online.
It doesn't matter, he is still giving people the tools who might not otherwise not have them to do so.

For every person that only uses the hacks to do something legal, you would countless using it for something else illegal. I would be awed if even 1 out of every 10 people hacking their PS3 were not doing so just so that they can pirate stuff.
And that is totally irrelevant. If every single person except Geohot that mods their PS3 uses it for piracy Geohot would still have done nothing illegal. If Sony wants to get all litigation happy then they should be going after the people actually doing things that are illegal.
Are you even aware of how extremely selfish and self entitled this?

Basically your entire line of thought boils down to this: What I am doing will potentially cause a considerable and perhaps even a dramatic increase in piracy thus creating lots of problems for plenty of people, but because I myself am technically not pirating, I conclude that the shitstorm worth of problems I am about to unleash is ultimately none of my concern.

What you don't appear to understand or willing to understand that even assuming this is legal, what he is doing is still extremely selfish and inconsiderate because is he just doing as he pleases knowing that it will help others to commit crimes but still believes that its ok because so long as he himself doesn't pirate that means he has no reason to care even though the actual pirates are using the very tools that he himself created. He is not a "freedom fighter" like he claims to be, just a stupid, self entitled brat that gives precisely two shits about whatever harm pirates might cause thanks to his inventions so long as he can continue to play Super Mario bros on his Playstation because he was too cheap to buy a Wii.

so by your moron logic the person whom invented the firearm or the sword would be liable for every murder committed with the implements since after all even though their our other uses for those items people used them for bad.
Fireamrs have a completely different set if rules. I wish people would stop using guns as an alalogy. Guns were made to kill people. PS3 were not made to play Super Mario. When a gun crime happens it effects two gorups of people. The group of the victim and the family, and the gunman who faces the law. When you pirate a game you're affect the Sony for using it's console for illegal use, which ever publisher you stole the game from, the other online players of the PS3 who get screwed due to pirating, and you for hacking and pirating. The gun analogy is stupid. Furthermore this guy showed people how to do an illegal act. To use your gun analogy that's like defending a gun shop owner who sells guns under the table that wind up being used in crimes. Yes you can arrest and try the gun store owner there. What if someone gets hit with a DDoS attack from a PS3 that was hack with Geohot's key? Do you blame Geohot, or the Manufacturer Sony? You blame Geohot. You never blame the manufacturer for people bying thier product and using it illegaly. By your asinine logic I can sue Windows for everytime a hacker used their OS to create viruses. See how that doesn't work?

dragontiers

The Temporally Displaced
Feb 26, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
dragontiers said:
ragethebeast said:
Also since he agreed to the EULA and ToS on purchasing the console:

Except as stated in this Agreement, all content and software provided through Sony Online Services are licensed non-exclusively and revocably to you, your children and children for whom you are a legal guardian (collectively for purposes of this section, "You" or "Your"), solely for Your personal, private, non-transferable, non-commercial, limited use on a limited number of activated PlayStation®3 computer entertainment systems, PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) systems, VOD Devices and any other hardware devices, including peripherals that are sold or licensed by a Sony company, authorized by SCEA in the country in which your account is registered. All intellectual property rights subsisting in Sony Online Services, including all software, data, and content subsisting in or in connection with the operation of Sony Online Services, the Online ID, the access to content and hardware used in connection with Sony Online Services (collectively defined as "Property"), belong to SCEA and its licensors. All use or access to Property shall be subject to the terms of this Agreement, other applicable agreements, if any, and all applicable copyright and intellectual property rights laws. You may not sell, rent, sublicense, modify, adapt, translate, reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble any portion of the Property . Except as stated in this Agreement or otherwise expressly permitted by SCEA in writing, you may not reproduce or transfer any portion of the Property. You may not create any derivative works, attempt to create the source code from the object code, or download or use any Property for any purpose other than as expressly permitted. You may not bypass, disable, or circumvent any encryption, security, digital rights management or authentication mechanism in connection with Sony Online Services

Later on in setion 12.

Some content may be provided automatically without notice when you sign in. Such content may include automatic updates or upgrades which may change your current operating system, cause a loss of data or content or cause a loss of functionalities or utilities. Such upgrades or updates may be provided for system software for your PlayStation®3

So techincally he did something he agreed not to do ( section 12 is in response to the change in other os feature QQ...buy a computer you bums)
The problem here is EULA's are not legally binding. The fact that they claim you are agreeing to it simply by purchasing the product, before even getting a chance to read it, makes it invalid. Also, he has stated he does not use PSN, nor intends to, so therefore he is not held to the PSN Eula either. Contracts are only legally binding if both parties actually agree to them.
Ummm, no. You're thinking of a shrink wrap contract. The thing is that the PS3 EULA is legally binding debause you can look it up online and print if off. If you can look at the contract before you make the purchase, than the contract is legal.
The courts have ruled that EULAs are unenforceable if there isn't a reasonable assumption that they are read and agreed to before taking effect. I don't think it is a reasonable assumption that every person who has ever purchased a PS3 has gone on-line looking for a EULA that is applicable once they purchase the product. How many parents/grandparents/siblings/spouses that purchased PS3's as a gift would know about this? Heck, I'm sure most actual gamers, who purchased a PS3 for themselves knew about it ahead of time. Therefore, it is unenforceable. A company can't say you agree to something without you actually agreeing to it. That's why all the EULAs on games have the little "I accept" button before you install. Otherwise, they have now way of proving you consented to the EULA.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
Huh. I'm honestly not sure what to think. I don't want piracy to run rampant on the PS3 but I kind of agree with the idea of being able to do what you want with your property. So, yeah, I'm on the fence but I'm interested to see how this turns out.

linkblade91

Dec 2, 2009
Personally, I think you can do whatever the hell you want to your PS3, but as soon as your hacking begins to affect others in a negative way (including piracy, cheating, etc.), then you've crossed the line.

Do you own a copy of, say, Super Mario All-Stars (and by "own" I mean having legally purchased), and then got it to work on your PS3? Neat.
Do you not own a copy of SMAS, and then got it work on your PS3? That's illegal.
Do you own a copy..., but your friend doesn't, and then got it to work on his/her PS3? That not right either.

Leave my online gaming alone, and don't break the law; after that, do whatever you want. I think Sony is trying to defend itself from being burned by the worst-case scenarios; isn't that why they removed the Other OS feature? People abused their privileges, and for that such things are taken away. I bet that Sony would be more inclined to allow you your hacking if there weren't those who turned around and bit the hand that fed us.

ReiverCorrupter

Jun 4, 2010
DVS Storm said:
This is not cool even though many will be like "Yay now I can hax with mah PS3". Has anyone thought of the consequences? Infinity Ward has stated(not sure about Treyarch) that they will close MW servers for PS3 if there are too many hackers there. No-one can control what someone does with their PS3 anymore because apparently PS network doesn't regognize a pirated game from a real one. It is really going to harm Sony and the gaming industry. Even though I'm a Xbox gamer I'm still worried because well who wants to invest to a big game when the gamers are just going to pirate it. And it could also mean DRM for PS3...Who knows(this whole post is just hypothetical but it's plausible.) But I think it is good that someone showed Sony that their system is not perfect.
Then I'm afraid videogames will have to take the hit, the worst consequence would be to give corporations rights over the personal property of individual citizens. That's completely unacceptable. They can deny hackers their online services, but they can't say what you do with piece of hardware that you legal bought and own. What happens if Rupert Murdock signs up with Apple and then makes it so that you can't receive any news on your iPhone or iPad except FOX? Orwell never considered the possibility that the same exact thing could happen in a capitalist society.

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
AstylahAthrys said:
Huh. I'm honestly not sure what to think. I don't want piracy to run rampant on the PS3 but I kind of agree with the idea of being able to do what you want with your property. So, yeah, I'm on the fence but I'm interested to see how this turns out.
May I join you on this metaphorical fence?, I've read all 8 pages of this and I'm still not convince with what side I agree with on this one.

DJROC

Dec 15, 2010
People seem to be confusing the meaning of "hacking" within the modification community with the pop-culture perception of it. The modification community still uses the term "hacking" as it was originally conceived- that is, the modification of a device or software to provide different functionality that its original construction. Pop-culture uses "hacking" to mean malicious activity using computers, such as outright hostile activities like DOS attacks; or in the case of games- cheating.

To understand what "hacking" in it's most simple, benign sense, look at a book like Sneaky Uses for Everyday Things. Any time you use something for a purpose other than the one it was intended for, you could consider that "hacking".

MattAn24 said:
I'd like to be able to play [FFX/FFXII] while traveling, so being able to play them on a laptop or whatever is rather awesome. It's not hacking, it's not "doing something that the console normally wouldn't do". It's proper PS2 emulation, using the actual Emotion Engine, which is basically run from a computer. Hence "Sony PlayStation Computer Entertainment System". I'm not modifying anything or changing how the game is intended to be played.
Actually, you are. Emulators are hacks. They are a modification to the computer system that allows it to read the game's software and play it on a computer that was not designed to read and play those games. Final Fantasy X and XII were not intended to be played on laptops. There's nothing wrong with, or malicious, or illegal, about your ability to change your laptop to be capable of playing those games, but it's still considered a "hack".

It also seems that several people are missing the legal argument here. Nobody is disputing that Sony owns the copyright to the PS3 name, software or hardware. All those things have to do with protecting Sony from market competition. Those are the things in place that prevent another company from selling PS3s. Microsoft, for example, could not buy a PS3, reverse engineer it, and sell a Microsoft brand PS3. But that has nothing to do with the use of the console after it has been purchased.

Sony does not own my PS3 console because I purchased it from them and in their selling the product to me a legal transfer of ownership occurred. They are not legally permitted to come to my house and take it from me. They are not legally permitted to tell me when I can or can not play it, or what I can play or watch on it, because it is my machine. In this same vein, I am legally allowed to make any modification to it I want because it is no longer Sony's property. If I open the case and start fiddling with the hardware, then of course I'm voiding Sony's warranty. But that means they stop providing me warranty service because it's no longer the "device they sold me", it's an altered device and they may or may not know how to fix once I have tampered with it.

Sony provides a service- by way of the PlayStation Network- that continually updates software and firmware on the PS3. When I log on for the latest update, I give my consent for Sony to update that software/firmware, but I still retain absolute authority over my console. So if I don't want to let my software/firmware be updated by Sony, then I wouldn't have to. If their update would do something that I didn't like, such as removing otherOS support, then I wouldn't have to download that update. I have the legal right to opt-out of (violate) any ToS and EULA as long as I no longer wish to have access to those services.

Likewise, Sony also has the legal right to opt-out. If I were to do something with my PS3 that breached the ToS or EULA that Sony set forth, such as what GeoHotz did with the rootkey, then Sony has every right to stop supporting the device; ban me from PSN; stop providing whatever service whose Term of Service I violated.

Sony, however, does not have the legal authority to restrict my ability to do whatever the hell I want with my PS3. That's GeoHotz's argument. He doesn't mind being denied access to Sony's PSN because a) it seems he doesn't use it and b) he would rather expand the capabilities of his system further than Sony's endorsed support allows. Sony is perfectly within their rights to deny him access to whichever of their services they want, but they have no legal standing to prevent the modification of GeoHotz's personal PS3 console or anyone else's.

The legal argument that an owner of a piece of property should be allowed to modify that piece of property is entirely sound. You can argue about whether or not it's a "good idea" for GeoHotz to be providing the hack to the public and the possible consequences thereof. But it's not illegal. If the modification is used to cause a crime, then it is the fault of the person committing the crime, not the creator of the modification. This is not Minority Report: crimes are only crimes if they're actually committed. The potential ability to commit a crime is not a crime. If someone pirates a game using this modification, then the crime is the piracy, not the ability to commit piracy.

yamitami

Oct 1, 2009
The problem Sony has is not that he messing with his PS3, it's that he's messing with his PS3 and then sending it to the internet. The online aspect of the game still belongs to Sony and they're responsible for what happens there. If this guy were to disable the internet capabilities then it wouldn't be a problem.

Allan53

Dec 13, 2007
So why doesn't he need to follow the EULA again? Regardless of opinion, it DOES form a legal, binding contract between the owner of the hardware and the company. If the EULA has terms which are unacceptable, that I understand, but that's a very different story.

Arizona Kyle

Aug 25, 2010
Korten12 said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Korten12 said:
Quiet Stranger said:
I hope he wins, it is our right to do what we want to the PS3 after we buy it, I remember one time when I was delivering Pizza, the people were playing Super Mario All stars on their PS3. They looked like they were having lots of fun, now they can't cause Sony are asshoes
Uh, no they have no right to be playing SMAS on their PS3. No matter if the game is fun, they pirated the game and hacked the console? Thats like double the offense.

If someone pirates a game and says they're having "fun" doesn't suddenly pardon them.
The game is so old now though, if you bought it at a pawn shop the only one getting money would be the pawn store owner, the companies would no longer be getting the money 9I mean, that's the problem isn't it? With piracy for new things, the creators, like apple or microsoft, or Gearbox or whoever don't get their money?) and they bought it so I think they have every right to hack their PS3, also Hack is such a strong word, like rats, or ****
Alright, well I guess it will suck once they close down PSN due to too many pirates and hackers. But hey, they're having fun and they bought their ps3 so it should be perfectly fine...
How about instead of fighting this kid they let him do what he wants/work with him so that he can still hack the ps3 but help stop cheating and piracy

dragontiers

The Temporally Displaced
Feb 26, 2009
DJROC said:
People seem to be confusing the meaning of "hacking" within the modification community with the pop-culture perception of it. The modification community still uses the term "hacking" as it was originally conceived- that is, the modification of a device or software to provide different functionality that its original construction. Pop-culture uses "hacking" to mean malicious activity using computers, such as outright hostile activities like DOS attacks; or in the case of games- cheating.

To understand what "hacking" in it's most simple, benign sense, look at a book like Sneaky Uses for Everyday Things. Any time you use something for a purpose other than the one it was intended for, you could consider that "hacking".

MattAn24 said:
I'd like to be able to play [FFX/FFXII] while traveling, so being able to play them on a laptop or whatever is rather awesome. It's not hacking, it's not "doing something that the console normally wouldn't do". It's proper PS2 emulation, using the actual Emotion Engine, which is basically run from a computer. Hence "Sony PlayStation Computer Entertainment System". I'm not modifying anything or changing how the game is intended to be played.
Actually, you are. Emulators are hacks. They are a modification to the computer system that allows it to read the game's software and play it on a computer that was not designed to read and play those games. Final Fantasy X and XII were not intended to be played on laptops. There's nothing wrong with, or malicious, or illegal, about your ability to change your laptop to be capable of playing those games, but it's still considered a "hack".

It also seems that several people are missing the legal argument here. Nobody is disputing that Sony owns the copyright to the PS3 name, software or hardware. All those things have to do with protecting Sony from market competition. Those are the things in place that prevent another company from selling PS3s. Microsoft, for example, could not buy a PS3, reverse engineer it, and sell a Microsoft brand PS3. But that has nothing to do with the use of the console after it has been purchased.

Sony does not own my PS3 console because I purchased it from them and in their selling the product to me a legal transfer of ownership occurred. They are not legally permitted to come to my house and take it from me. They are not legally permitted to tell me when I can or can not play it, or what I can play or watch on it, because it is my machine. In this same vein, I am legally allowed to make any modification to it I want because it is no longer Sony's property. If I open the case and start fiddling with the hardware, then of course I'm voiding Sony's warranty. But that means they stop providing me warranty service because it's no longer the "device they sold me", it's an altered device and they may or may not know how to fix once I have tampered with it.

Sony provides a service- by way of the PlayStation Network- that continually updates software and firmware on the PS3. When I log on for the latest update, I give my consent for Sony to update that software/firmware, but I still retain absolute authority over my console. So if I don't want to let my software/firmware be updated by Sony, then I wouldn't have to. If their update would do something that I didn't like, such as removing otherOS support, then I wouldn't have to download that update. I have the legal right to opt-out of (violate) any ToS and EULA as long as I no longer wish to have access to those services.

Likewise, Sony also has the legal right to opt-out. If I were to do something with my PS3 that breached the ToS or EULA that Sony set forth, such as what GeoHotz did with the rootkey, then Sony has every right to stop supporting the device; ban me from PSN; stop providing whatever service whose Term of Service I violated.

Sony, however, does not have the legal authority to restrict my ability to do whatever the hell I want with my PS3. That's GeoHotz's argument. He doesn't mind being denied access to Sony's PSN because a) it seems he doesn't use it and b) he would rather expand the capabilities of his system further than Sony's endorsed support allows. Sony is perfectly within their rights to deny him access to whichever of their services they want, but they have no legal standing to prevent the modification of GeoHotz's personal PS3 console or anyone else's.

The legal argument that an owner of a piece of property should be allowed to modify that piece of property is entirely sound. You can argue about whether or not it's a "good idea" for GeoHotz to be providing the hack to the public and the possible consequences thereof. But it's not illegal. If the modification is used to cause a crime, then it is the fault of the person committing the crime, not the creator of the modification. This is not Minority Report: crimes are only crimes if they're actually committed. The potential ability to commit a crime is not a crime. If someone pirates a game using this modification, then the crime is the piracy, not the ability to commit piracy.
Thank you. A thousand times thank you. This is the most clearly stated post on the subject I have seen yet. I really hope people read this. I couldn't have said it better myself.