PS3 "Jailbreak" Tool Proves So Popular It Sells Out

RogueDarkJedi

Dec 28, 2008
Delusibeta said:
Anyone want to bet when will someone copy the content of the dongle and spread it on the Pirate Bay?

It's also looking increasingly genuine. While Sony does have some preventive measures (the cost of Blu-rays and burners), it may still have a problem on its hands.
I heard there are people trying to do that but they can't get Windows to recognize the machine as a device (of any kind). Sounds like a very n00by response.

David_G

Aug 25, 2009
Be that as it may, I still don't see this being successful, PS3 games are what? 50 gigs? Downloading 50 gigs (or more) is a hassle. And I don't know how this works, do you have to burn the contents to a Blu-Ray? If so, that's an another problem because Blu-Rays are expensive, and you still can't get them everywhere. So, I don't see really working out for the pirates.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
I hope Sony makes a decent effort to combat this, no reason why they wouldn't afterall. I'm just worried that someone will ruin it for the rest of us.

I like my pirate free PS3 ^_^

David_G said:
Be that as it may, I still don't see this being successful, PS3 games are what? 50 gigs? Downloading 50 gigs (or more) is a hassle. And I don't know how this works, do you have to burn the contents to a Blu-Ray? If so, that's an another problem because Blu-Rays are expensive, and you still can't get them everywhere. So, I don't see really working out for the pirates.
They wouldn't be 50gb. Probably anything between 2-15gb.
That's just judging by how big PC games usually are though, biggest i've ever seen is 15gb and that was an mmo!

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
Meh the ability to dump games I already have onto my HDD is more than enough for me. If Sony is really smart they would just allow that as a feature since no one is seriously going to be downloading 25-50gb rips any time soon.

Rauten

Capitalism ho!
Apr 4, 2010
Well, Sony brought this upon themselves when they removed Linux. Almost all the homebrew scene was quiet and happy, then Sony freaked, removed Linux, pissed off the homebrewers, and a few months later, PS3 JailBreak.

*clap*

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
If you want to pirate, just get an xbox360. Pirating blurays is a pain in the ass.

kahlzun

Sep 9, 2009
It's legal in Australia. http://www.smh.com.au/news/technology/modchipping-playstations-legal-high-court/2005/10/06/1128562920421.html

Steppin Razor

Dec 15, 2009
Dexiro said:
I hope Sony makes a decent effort to combat this, no reason why they wouldn't afterall. I'm just worried that someone will ruin it for the rest of us.

Eh, the thing seems kind of pointless. Risk being banned from PSN for using it and you can't patch the games you run on it, seems like a waste of money.

That's just judging by how big PC games usually are though, biggest i've ever seen is 15gb and that was an mmo!
It all depends on how cutscene heavy the game is and how much content has been packed in. FFXIII on Blu-ray is massive:

"According to the site - which has posted screenshots as proof - disc one weighs in at 5.9GB, while the second and third discs install at 5.8GB and 6.6GB respectively. This combined 18.3GB compares with a total of 39.4GB for the Japanese PS3 version, making the 360 game less than half the size of the PlayStation 3 release."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ffxiii-360-less-than-half-the-size-of-ps3-game-blog-entry

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
This should be fun to watch unfold.
Sony is writhing if they aren't issuing any comment, if only to ensure they don't accidentally officially inform any other customers about this product before they issue a "fix" for it.

nYuknYuknYuk

Jul 12, 2009
The banhammer will come. And when it does, it will hit hard. I'm gonna go get some popcorn and a lawn chair.

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
I don't know why everyone keeps saying its a victory for sony because you can get banned from using this. You can only get detected if your online. On the 360 you can only play pirated games offline yet this hasn't stopped piracy.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Cynical skeptic said:
Rednog said:
Unhappy Crow said:
Oh, god. This thing is spreading. I said it before and I'll say it again. Who would pay over 100 bucks for a USB that allows you to play copied games?
I'm sure a lot of people would, a new game is what $60 (higher in some other countries). The cost is less than 2 games and it essentially means you get free games for that point on? If it was legal and you didn't care about game companies losing money you'd be a fool not to buy it.
Except it is legal. Pretty much every country's copyright law allows for a single backup copy. Anyone asks, "oops, lost the original."
Except I'm pretty sure that part of the deal is that you have to keep that original, so if you were to go to GameStop, pick up a used game, rip it to your HDD using this new tool, and then go return it for all your money back with their 7 day return policy, what you're doing isn't legal as you aren't entitled to a backup of something you no longer own. At least as far as I've heard anyway.

Anyway I'm still waiting for Sony's firmware update that disables all the USB ports on the PS3.

IamSofaKingRaw

Jun 28, 2010
Dexiro said:

David_G said:
The exclusive PS3 games are aroung 50 gigs MGS4 maxd out the disc even.

IamSofaKingRaw

Jun 28, 2010
mjc0961 said:
Cynical skeptic said:
Rednog said:
Unhappy Crow said:
Oh, god. This thing is spreading. I said it before and I'll say it again. Who would pay over 100 bucks for a USB that allows you to play copied games?
I'm sure a lot of people would, a new game is what $60 (higher in some other countries). The cost is less than 2 games and it essentially means you get free games for that point on? If it was legal and you didn't care about game companies losing money you'd be a fool not to buy it.
Except it is legal. Pretty much every country's copyright law allows for a single backup copy. Anyone asks, "oops, lost the original."
Except I'm pretty sure that part of the deal is that you have to keep that original, so if you were to go to GameStop, pick up a used game, rip it to your HDD using this new tool, and then go return it for all your money back with their 7 day return policy, what you're doing isn't legal as you aren't entitled to a backup of something you no longer own. At least as far as I've heard anyway.

Anyway I'm still waiting for Sony's firmware update that disables all the USB ports on the PS3.
How will we charge controllers then? Plus I don't see how this'll be a hit when you find out that to get pirated Killzone 3 you'd have to download a 30-50 gig file. The download limit on my internet service is 25 gigs.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Alpha1089 said:
Dexiro said:

Eh, the thing seems kind of pointless. Risk being banned from PSN for using it and you can't patch the games you run on it, seems like a waste of money.

It all depends on how cutscene heavy the game is and how much content has been packed in. FFXIII on Blu-ray is massive:

"According to the site - which has posted screenshots as proof - disc one weighs in at 5.9GB, while the second and third discs install at 5.8GB and 6.6GB respectively. This combined 18.3GB compares with a total of 39.4GB for the Japanese PS3 version, making the 360 game less than half the size of the PlayStation 3 release."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ffxiii-360-less-than-half-the-size-of-ps3-game-blog-entry
Does that actually translate into overall better visuals on the PS3? Personally, I've rarely seen any significant differences in texture detail on either console. The only real differences are mostly due to the fact that both consoles render games very differently. Basically the exact same game will look different from one console to the other.