PS3 "Jailbreak" Tool Proves So Popular It Sells Out

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
Asehujiko said:
poiuppx said:
I see this ending in flames. Huge, billowing banhammering console-locking flames. But hey, till then, enjoy your jailbreak, kids. Here in the real world, we still pay for our games and follow some measure of honor in addition to realizing games are a luxury, not a right. Maybe one day you can join us here.
What you are saying is that the third world is full of dishonorable scum because they don't believe in your "I was born in the wrong place, therefor I deserve nothing but misery" opinion?
No, I'm sure his response is directed to the millions in the 1st world countries who steal because they feel entitled to anything and everything.

Cynical skeptic said:
FloodOne said:
You do realize that 20 mbs connection is not even close the what the average American household wields, right? I'm lucky if I get a 2.5 mbs connection, it usually hovers around 2.0 or so.
... Uh... the average cable connection is 10mbs. DSL is still shit, but if verizon is your provider, you're only a couple years from having FIOS, which goes up to 50mb/s.

[sub][sub]edit: guh[/sub][/sub]
Actually, after a thorough search of what kind of internet is available in my area, no. The only internet that is affordable is only 6 mbs. the 25-30 mbs packages are in the $100+ a month category, and that's not worth it for just the internet.

I think you're confusing how many people want to pay that much. America isn't low on the broadband penetration and internet speeds list for no reason. Top tier connections are still too expensive, and no one knows how to pirate that yet.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
What's that? Piracy doesn't only affect the PC market?
Maybe the console players will get a fist full of Ubisoft bullshit style DRM now.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
Saucycardog said:
I don't know why everyone keeps saying its a victory for sony because you can get banned from using this. You can only get detected if your online. On the 360 you can only play pirated games offline yet this hasn't stopped piracy.
You can play pirated games online if you u're using the latest mods(xbox 360)

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
So people. If you buy it, don't get online with it active.

Or attach to usb harddrive.

But if you get this...don't play online ...you'll just get in trouble.

Lacsapix

Apr 16, 2010
ianrocks6495 said:
The banhammer will come. And when it does, it will hit hard. I'm gonna go get some popcorn and a lawn chair.
So am I but M&m's are better.
OT: It's smarter to disconnect from the internet and only play offline, also its better to just spend your hard earned money on games, looks better too

Phoenixlight

Aug 24, 2008
Isn't this illegal? pretty sure it's in the user agreement that reverse engineering isn't permitted. Sony should take the creators to court and sue them for everything they've got and more.

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
Asehujiko said:
poiuppx said:
I see this ending in flames. Huge, billowing banhammering console-locking flames. But hey, till then, enjoy your jailbreak, kids. Here in the real world, we still pay for our games and follow some measure of honor in addition to realizing games are a luxury, not a right. Maybe one day you can join us here.
What you are saying is that the third world is full of dishonorable scum because they don't believe in your "I was born in the wrong place, therefor I deserve nothing but misery" opinion?
FloodOne, directly AFTER your brilliant analysis of my ulterior motives, put it best. No, this wasn't directed towards those in the third world who suffer ignominiously, often under tyranical leaders and in horrid conditions, for whom I know nothing but pity and far as I care, let em have a good game or two to help get to a better headspace (though how they're acquiring PS3s is beyond me, given the aformentioned unfortunate conditions).

No, I was pointing my comment at those who ACT like things such as DRM or DLC you have to pay for or even just a game being made by a company they have a grudge against are somehow comparable. Those who look at this, grin, and say 'Finally, free games for the PS3! My long national nightmare is over, for without a steady stream of new games, surely I would perish!'. The ones who treat gaming like a human right, and how DARE any company that spent months, even years, to produce the games they enjoy should- ha! -receive any kind of compensation for their efforts. The ones who assume that even if their greedy, self-righteous actions kill the modern gaming scene, somehow there'd still be a massive number of programmers and artists and designers eager to make such games, for free no less, and it'd all turn out for the best. Which is to say the sort who basically wish unemployment and starvation on the people who make this whole hobby possible.

THAT is who I pointed my comment at. THAT is who needs to come into the real world and recognize a few basic facts about life. And THAT is the sort of person, I damn well would put money on it, who is drooling the most over this crap. This Jailbreak appeals to a segment of the population in the first world too, buddy. And that segment is who I gleefully disparage. So yeah. Got any pithy lines interpreting my personal sentiments about THAT chunk of humanity?

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
All I know is I'm glad I don't work for whatever governing body has to investigate piracy laws. (I think it's the FBI) because this seems like an impossible task to stop.

poiuppx said:
Asehujiko said:
poiuppx said:
FloodOne, directly AFTER your brilliant analysis of my ulterior motives, put it best. No, this wasn't directed towards those in the third world who suffer ignominiously, often under tyranical leaders and in horrid conditions, for whom I know nothing but pity and far as I care, let em have a good game or two to help get to a better headspace (though how they're acquiring PS3s is beyond me, given the aformentioned unfortunate conditions).

No, I was pointing my comment at those who ACT like things such as DRM or DLC you have to pay for or even just a game being made by a company they have a grudge against are somehow comparable. Those who look at this, grin, and say 'Finally, free games for the PS3! My long national nightmare is over, for without a steady stream of new games, surely I would perish!'. The ones who treat gaming like a human right, and how DARE any company that spent months, even years, to produce the games they enjoy should- ha! -receive any kind of compensation for their efforts. The ones who assume that even if their greedy, self-righteous actions kill the modern gaming scene, somehow there'd still be a massive number of programmers and artists and designers eager to make such games, for free no less, and it'd all turn out for the best. Which is to say the sort who basically wish unemployment and starvation on the people who make this whole hobby possible.

THAT is who I pointed my comment at. THAT is who needs to come into the real world and recognize a few basic facts about life. And THAT is the sort of person, I damn well would put money on it, who is drooling the most over this crap. This Jailbreak appeals to a segment of the population in the first world too, buddy. And that segment is who I gleefully disparage. So yeah. Got any pithy lines interpreting my personal sentiments about THAT chunk of humanity?
I think poiuppx wins.

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
FloodOne said:
Cynical skeptic said:
Not an issue for most people. A 20mb/s connection will do that in about 6 hours and those are dirt cheap if you can get them.
You do realize that 20 mbs connection is not even close the what the average American household wields, right? I'm lucky if I get a 2.5 mbs connection, it usually hovers around 2.0 or so.

ionveau said:
Its grate right? for us normal people that cant afford every game that comes out this will be a life saver, its not illegal BTW
You know what would be a lifesaver? Dealing with the fact that if you can't afford something, you DON'T deserve it.

And btw, it is illegal. However, the chances of serving any time for it or even paying a fine, are next to nothing.
WoW i dont support piracy but copying a game = serving time or paying a fine? with your logic copying an image from a website to your computer is evil, The fact is everything on the internet is copy write protected but we have to understand that some things should be criticized while other things not,

Anyway, most gamers are kids so how should a kid get money? get a job? ok sure

get a job->Unable to study for school->Get bad marks->fail->get bad job->have kid->kid cant buy games->kid gets job->

God bless you, God bless you i hope everyone is as well behaved as you are

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
ace_of_something said:
All I know is I'm glad I don't work for whatever governing body has to investigate piracy laws. (I think it's the FBI) because this seems like an impossible task to stop.

poiuppx said:
Asehujiko said:
poiuppx said:

I think poiuppx wins.
I disagree.

How DARE any company that spent months, even years, to produce the games they enjoy? Concerning some companies, I wonder if payment truly goes to those who deserve the payment. And as far as 'unemployment and starvation' goes, if you're making video games for a living, youre probably in a country that you could reeducate or find another position. And there's little chance that this jailbreak provides a free service; not only does it cost for the mod itself, but your means of getting the disk also comes into play as well. I could go on, but case and point, stuff like this Jailbreak happen when you try to put entertainment into market like this. Its somewhat analogous to sneaking into movie theaters. Dont get mad over it.

Its not that you're wrong in your assertions, but your motivation; this antiquated honor you have; doesnt exactly hold up in these '1st world countries' (I'd like to get out of Cold War terminology as well, please). Its fine if you want to hold onto your 'honor' in purchasing games with the money you earn (or dont earn, only you know), but there's no place for your deconstructive anger.

BaldursBananaSoap

May 20, 2009
Good luck downloading MGS4 and other games which are like 25gb. They will run out of space on their hard drives fast.

ayanematrix

Jul 22, 2010
You know, if it really, and I mean REALLY, made a normal PS3 console into a developers unit, I wouldn't have a problem with picking this up. Sadly, all it really seems to do is foster some sort of piracy and it's going to have an extremely short shelf life as a result. Plus, it's high price tag leaves a lot to be desired of something that may not even work.

Bleh.

danintexas

Jul 30, 2010
If you download games you never paid for its no different than walking into a store and stealing a TV.

If you can't understand that I pity your upbringing.

But you won't get caught - no FBI agents will come kicking in your door. So go nuts. It just proves that ones true character comes out when no one is watching.

In the end it will do nothing but hurt what games come out.

Next gen = digital distribution gaming systems. IE - you HAVE to pay for it - and you will also enjoy neat things like - never owning anything - having to accept any game changes - terms the software makers give you - possible monthly charges because the software makers are having to keep servers up for your game system to check into.

There is no way past it. Next gen or for sure or the one after it - You won't own anything. Hell I can see Sony or MS on their next gen doing a monthly fee service - you won't actually own any games or even the console. MS or Sony will. You are just renting it from them. IMO - its the only way to go for them at this point. In the end the gamers who pirate are the ones causing it.

mxfox408

Pee Eye Em Pee Daddy
Apr 4, 2010
So much effort into console cracking, which is why pc gaming amd cracks never failed for me.