PS3 "Jailbreak" Tool Proves So Popular It Sells Out

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
mjc0961 said:
Cynical skeptic said:
Rednog said:
Unhappy Crow said:
Oh, god. This thing is spreading. I said it before and I'll say it again. Who would pay over 100 bucks for a USB that allows you to play copied games?
I'm sure a lot of people would, a new game is what $60 (higher in some other countries). The cost is less than 2 games and it essentially means you get free games for that point on? If it was legal and you didn't care about game companies losing money you'd be a fool not to buy it.
Except it is legal. Pretty much every country's copyright law allows for a single backup copy. Anyone asks, "oops, lost the original."
Except I'm pretty sure that part of the deal is that you have to keep that original, so if you were to go to GameStop, pick up a used game, rip it to your HDD using this new tool, and then go return it for all your money back with their 7 day return policy, what you're doing isn't legal as you aren't entitled to a backup of something you no longer own. At least as far as I've heard anyway.
Prove it.

Mind you, I don't mean prove its illegal (derp), prove thats what someone did. If it was a cash transaction, its simply impossible.

The reason copyright law is currently a complete fucking joke is the 'backup copy' bit, as it renders pretty much every civil/criminal suit utterly irrelevant. "Oops, forgot to get rid of the backup," "Case dismissed." The few cases that actually amounted to anything were based upon tracking files back to a domestic source through hashchecks. But they were slammed for distributing, not "backing up."

Thus is also the problem with law. It is, at best, in a great many situations, nothing more than idle threat.
IamSofaKingRaw said:
How will we charge controllers then? Plus I don't see how this'll be a hit when you find out that to get pirated Killzone 3 you'd have to download a 30-50 gig file. The download limit on my internet service is 25 gigs.
Not an issue for most people. A 20mb/s connection will do that in about 6 hours and those are dirt cheap if you can get them.

Steppin Razor

Dec 15, 2009
Zer_ said:
Does that actually translate into overall better visuals on the PS3? Personally, I've rarely seen any significant differences in texture detail on either console. The only real differences are mostly due to the fact that both consoles render games very differently. Basically the exact same game will look different from one console to the other.
No idea. I've heard that the game itself looks slightly better on the PS3, but it isn't too much of a difference. The only place I know that the PS3 version looks better for sure is in the cutscenes as the 360 ones are compressed to hell and back to make them fit on just three discs, but again, it's not that huge a difference. Unless you have a mate with the 360 version of the game that you can mock for having slightly lower quality cutscenes. But that's just me.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
so with a ps3 and a large hard drive you could just rent single player games for 10 bucks and keep them forever.

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
XT inc said:
so with a ps3 and a large hard drive you could just rent single player games for 10 bucks and keep them forever.
Its grate right? for us normal people that cant afford every game that comes out this will be a life saver, its not illegal BTW

Sougo

Mar 20, 2010
I smell piracy in the air...

Sony should wisely give this jailbreak time to spread, sprouting PS3 sales all over, before smashing down with the mighty banhammer.

oranger

May 27, 2008
I dunno, I may get it, but I'm not sure...I'll have to see how the drama with sony plays out.
The ps3 is a very, very powerful little comp, and has many uses beyond simple "pirating".

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
Cynical skeptic said:
Not an issue for most people. A 20mb/s connection will do that in about 6 hours and those are dirt cheap if you can get them.
You do realize that 20 mbs connection is not even close the what the average American household wields, right? I'm lucky if I get a 2.5 mbs connection, it usually hovers around 2.0 or so.

ionveau said:
Its grate right? for us normal people that cant afford every game that comes out this will be a life saver, its not illegal BTW
You know what would be a lifesaver? Dealing with the fact that if you can't afford something, you DON'T deserve it.

And btw, it is illegal. However, the chances of serving any time for it or even paying a fine, are next to nothing.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Geez if your gonna pirate do it on 360 its just easier, and there are alternatives to XBL for online play. Who knows maybe one will pop up on ps3 in a bit though.

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
FloodOne said:
You do realize that 20 mbs connection is not even close the what the average American household wields, right? I'm lucky if I get a 2.5 mbs connection, it usually hovers around 2.0 or so.
... Uh... the average cable connection is 10mbs. DSL is still shit, but if verizon is your provider, you're only a couple years from having FIOS, which goes up to 50mb/s.

[sub][sub]edit: guh[/sub][/sub]

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
ianrocks6495 said:
The banhammer will come. And when it does, it will hit hard. I'm gonna go get some popcorn and a lawn chair.
I'm all for that.
We need Phoenix Wright as commentator.

"Cry lawsuit and unleash the dogs of war!"

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
I see this ending in flames. Huge, billowing banhammering console-locking flames. But hey, till then, enjoy your jailbreak, kids. Here in the real world, we still pay for our games and follow some measure of honor in addition to realizing games are a luxury, not a right. Maybe one day you can join us here.

kaizen2468

Nov 20, 2009
Do they realize they're probably going to get sued into the ground for selling it like that?

nYuknYuknYuk

Jul 12, 2009
ionveau said:
XT inc said:
No its not "grate", it IS illegal, and NO ONE can afford every game. I haven't been able to buy a game since Modern Warfare 2, but that doesn't entitle me to steal.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I've actually been proud of Sony for staying pirate-free all this time. That it's finally surfaced, is well...probably a firmware update away from making the rest of them immune. They've gotten quite quick about this.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
poiuppx said:
I see this ending in flames. Huge, billowing banhammering console-locking flames. But hey, till then, enjoy your jailbreak, kids. Here in the real world, we still pay for our games and follow some measure of honor in addition to realizing games are a luxury, not a right. Maybe one day you can join us here.
What you are saying is that the third world is full of dishonorable scum because they don't believe in your "I was born in the wrong place, therefor I deserve nothing but misery" opinion?