PS5 controller revealed.

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
Sony revealed the PS5 controller today.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2020/04/07/introducing-dualsense-the-new-wireless-game-controller-for-playstation-5/

I can't say I'm a fan of the color or the fact that the symbols no longer have colors.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Huh... neat. Looks like they took some inspirations from Microsoft this time around with the grip design. I just hope the control sticks are more comfortable to use with this shape. I'll never understand why they sit where they do

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
I wish it was a sleeker controller honestly. It looks bloated to me, but then again bigger controllers seem to feel better regardless of appearance, so whatever. It's fine.

I'll be getting a PS5 and I'm sure the controller will be just fine.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
It has a futuristic thing to it, not sure I am fond of the wider "ears" since I really enjoy the rounder ones. The d-pad looks pretty standard at least which is what I mainly worry about though, since I use it for fighting games and a bad Dpad is a huge hurdle. Outside of that I can work with any controller. I even enjoyed using the original Xbox controller, the really big and wide one that was like a spaceship steering wheel lol.

Something in me was wishing they went back and made a dual shock that looked like ps1-3 pads. I'll chalk that up to just being nostalgic I guess haha.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Looks too Xboxish. I know Sony is going for a futuristic look, but the controller can be slimmed down a little. Also, bring back the color coded shapes. WTF you need to get rid of those for?

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49747502797_760388b9d5_h.jpg

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Elvis Starburst said:
Huh... neat. Looks like they took some inspirations from Microsoft this time around with the grip design. I just hope the control sticks are more comfortable to use with this shape. I'll never understand why they sit where they do
So you can do things with the controls that require "clawing" normally if the sticks were far apart.

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
I?m guessing the symbols for the face buttons, options, share create and d-pad with be backlit and you may even be able to customize the color for each button. The outlines are there so it would make sense for something to make use of them when the thing is turned on.

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
Phoenixmgs said:
Elvis Starburst said:
So you can do things with the controls that require "clawing" normally if the sticks were far apart.
I also like the fact that they?re symmetrical. I never could get used to the Xbox controller?s off-kilter analog sticks, and think it?s a big reason why I always ultimately leaned towards PlayStation.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
hanselthecaretaker said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Elvis Starburst said:
I also like the fact that they?re symmetrical. I never could get used to the Xbox controller?s off-kilter analog sticks, and think it?s a big reason why I always ultimately leaned towards PlayStation.
I find the position on the Xbox controller actually helps because they seem positioned to make the movement they require as easy as possible. With the dualshocks I always felt my thumbs cramping up.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
At least I won't have to duct tape the lightbar anymore.

Otherwise yeah, looks fine.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Im a bit all over the place when I look at this.

On one hand, I like the way it looks. I cant shake the feeling that it looks a bit third-party, but an expensive third-party version. Better than previous PS controllers, at least. Also, USB-C is a big win.

Why did they get rid of the colour-coded buttons? Sure, it looks more uniform without them, and I suppose its really not a concern for veteren players, but this is a big nope for new players.

The triggers still dont look anywhere near as good as the ones that Xbox controllers have had since the OG 2001 design. Also, still a boo for not having offset analogue sticks.

I just feel like the Xbox controller has been great since the slimmed down Duke controller for the OG Xbox, and they have just been tweaking and perfecting it ever since.

Sony on the other hand, are just kind of bumbling around, trying to make their admittedly iconic controller design competitive, but they keep on making the same mistakes, and apparently new ones. At least it looks a bit chunkier, so it will be a bit comfier for people with bigger hands like myself, but I still feel like they either need to make a few more passes at this design, or swallow their pride and just copy the Xbox controller a bit more.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Looks like a solid improvement over the previous version. I hope the rubber caps on the sticks are a bit more durable this time though.

VG_Addict

Jul 16, 2013
Gordon_4 said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
Phoenixmgs said:
Elvis Starburst said:
I find the position on the Xbox controller actually helps because they seem positioned to make the movement they require as easy as possible. With the dualshocks I always felt my thumbs cramping up.
I?ll admit they?ve always felt durable and I like the contour, but I have the opposite problem with sticks and the DS d-pads are definitely more user-friendly to me. Triggers are a mixed bag. The bumper buttons on Xbox feel too small next to R1/2, but I like how the triggers feel more like triggers on Xbox.

Laggyteabag said:
Im a bit all over the place when I look at this.

On one hand, I like the way it looks. I cant shake the feeling that it looks a bit third-party, but an expensive third-party version. Better than previous PS controllers, at least. Also, USB-C is a big win.

Why did they get rid of the colour-coded buttons? Sure, it looks more uniform without them, and I suppose its really not a concern for veteren players, but this is a big nope for new players.

The triggers still dont look anywhere near as good as the ones that Xbox controllers have had since the OG 2001 design. Also, still a boo for not having offset analogue sticks.

I just feel like the Xbox controller has been great since the slimmed down Duke controller for the OG Xbox, and they have just been tweaking and perfecting it ever since.

Sony on the other hand, are just kind of bumbling around, trying to make their admittedly iconic controller design competitive, but they keep on making the same mistakes, and apparently new ones. At least it looks a bit chunkier, so it will be a bit comfier for people with bigger hands like myself, but I still feel like they either need to make a few more passes at this design, or swallow their pride and just copy the Xbox controller a bit more.
I mentioned above in an earlier post the buttons look like they?ll be backlit, and possibly even customizable in terms of light and color. I can agree the DS3 sticks were too close together, but I?ve never had a problem with DS4?s. To me the level of resistance also feels better on DS especially for PS4, and now with 5 the buttons and sticks will have programmable levels of resistance depending on the game. It?s personal preference but the DS5 sounds like it has a lot more going for it if the stick layout isn?t a complete deal breaker.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
09philj said:
Looks like a solid improvement over the previous version. I hope the rubber caps on the sticks are a bit more durable this time though.
My last job was a place that got stuff Best Buy didn't want (returns and whatnot) and we'd get so many PS4 controllers with the rubber falling off the sticks. I've only had one PS4 controller and never had the problem. I think it has to do with me using the tips of my thumbs to control the sticks while I've noticed most people use that bottom half of that first knuckle on the thumb. I think it's why the rubber hasn't torn off my controller along with me not caring how close the sticks are and pretty much never accidentally pushing in L3 or R3 like I've seen many complaints about over the years.

Gearran

Oct 19, 2007
Is it just me, or does every innovation they tout on this thing basically just something the Switch did three years ago? And the color scheme is very...

Oh gods.

Sony has become Apple.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Gearran said:
Is it just me, or does every innovation they tout on this thing basically just something the Switch did three years ago? And the color scheme is very...

Oh gods.

Sony has become Apple.
it's not that shocking honestly. :3