PSN Down Worldwide; Is Anonymous to Blame?

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Krakyn said:
Anonymous isn't lead by anybody, and they don't have a direct goal. There is no splinter group or anything. Any action taken by any member is an act of Anon. They're anarchists, and they used to like it that way. If Anonymous ever puts out a statement saying they're against something or that they won't do something, that's just one dude making a decision. Everyone has the personal option to either listen or not.
True, but it goes against anon's "modus operandi" to do something without at least one dude releasing an announcement of their actions. Either these anons are slow on the draw with said announcement, or it's not anons. That, and it also goes against typical anon patterns of attack to do something that'll majorly inconvenience innocents. They attack companies, not customers.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I don't think it is.
Don't know about others but me and most of the people i know who use PSN regularly have all complained about log-in problems over the last couple weeks. When previously I had maybe one log in problem every 3 or 4 months. However, it's hard to get uppity about it. Not like I'm paying for it.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Doclector said:
Krakyn said:
Anonymous isn't lead by anybody, and they don't have a direct goal. There is no splinter group or anything. Any action taken by any member is an act of Anon. They're anarchists, and they used to like it that way. If Anonymous ever puts out a statement saying they're against something or that they won't do something, that's just one dude making a decision. Everyone has the personal option to either listen or not.
True, but it goes against anon's "modus operandi" to do something without at least one dude releasing an announcement of their actions. Either these anons are slow on the draw with said announcement, or it's not anons. That, and it also goes against typical anon patterns of attack to do something that'll majorly inconvenience innocents. They attack companies, not customers.
That assumes Anonymouse has any idea beforehand what the effect of their actions will be on innocent bystanders because they've thought through their actions. Let's not give credit where none is due.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
HG131 said:
Well, this just goes to show you that free things never work as well as things you pay for.

EDIT: And before someone complains because I'm insulting PSN, just remember, you guys always rub it in Xbox user's faces that your service is free and ours is not. I'm just reminding you that free =/= good, functional or unlikely for this to happen. /someonewhoboughtPortal2forPC
Sounds fair to me. I've always said you get what you pay for holds true considering the feature set between PSN and Xbox Live (PSN: You get to play online. Xbox Live: You get to play online, you get to report players from the console if they are cheating, you get to avoid players if they are being douchebags, you get cross game chat, you get party chat, and so on.). Now it just holds even more true.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Dexter111 said:
JDKJ said:
Dexter111 said:
I've always wondered why this doesn't happen more often, it would certainly raise awareness that the ability to play your games shouldn't be bound to a single centralized system which screws over everyone when it's down.
Are you suggesting that two independent network systems be created so that there'll always be a back-up if one goes down? That's the same argument I used on my bank when I was trying to convince them that lending me $250,000 so that I could buy a Lamborghini to have sitting around in case my everyday car broke down was a brilliant idea. For some strange reason, they weren't convinced of the brilliance.
I'm "suggesting" that it would be a lot better for about anyone involved if the games would just connect to separate Master servers that either announce Dedicated or handle the Matchmaking and the publishers/devs/communities (or fans if you have the option to set up your own dedicated) take care of that and the whole "Playstation Network" and "XBox Live" thing only be used as a layer over the underlying network architecture... not as its backbone.
But hell they'd have to give up some control over their platform to do that and we can't have that xD
I wish I had you with me when I was talking to that loan officer at my bank. You'd have made him see the brilliance of my Lamborghini plan.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Kills lovefilm for me so its quite annoying, i'll be interested to see what the cause of this is

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Mister Benoit said:
Maybe they're just looking for someone to blame because their shoddy service went down o_O

Easier to blame others than yourself.

Honestly in all my time with the PlayStation Network I've never had any issues unless it was with a game server being down which isn't their fault.
But I digress as beating on the PSN is trendy.

If this is Anons doing it just proves that they can never be held to their word, and they've decided that attacking the consumer is the best course of action.
Anon, if this is you you're going to have to do something drastic to ever earn back that iota of respect I had for you.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
If Anonymous did it, they'd announce it. As dumb as they are sometimes, they have the decency to forewarn their targets. That may only be because they couldn't coordinate an attack without publicly broadcasting it somewhere.

Either way, I'm fairly confident it's not the work of the main group.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
HG131 said:
Well, this just goes to show you that free things never work as well as things you pay for.

EDIT: And before someone complains because I'm insulting PSN, just remember, you guys always rub it in Xbox user's faces that your service is free and ours is not. I'm just reminding you that free =/= good, functional or unlikely for this to happen. /someonewhoboughtPortal2forPC

EDIT 2: Also, let's just point out the fact that you're getting angry over a service they provide for free. If someone were to give you free food and it wasn't that good, would you complain? If not, why would you complain about this? It's free. They're giving it to you. They don't have to make it free, they could charge you money. So just be glad it's free.
I wouldnt just attribute a global failure to a couple servers missing thier regular maintenance. Just saying.

OT: Waited some 3 months to enjoy the co-op. I think i can wait another few days. Im very good at waiting.

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Mister Benoit said:
Maybe they're just looking for someone to blame because their shoddy service went down o_O

Honestly in all my time with the PlayStation Network I've never had any issues unless it was with a game server being down which isn't their fault.

If this is Anons doing it just proves that they can never be held to their word, and they've decided that attacking the consumer is the best course of action.
Anon, if this is you you're going to have to do something drastic to ever earn back that iota of respect I had for you.
I'm just bitter because Virtua Tennis 3 doesn't have online for the PS3.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Oh sure, blame "Anon" for something when there is nothing said about them at all as the cause of this. Like there is no other explanation for something going down?

Once again, they aren't some organized group of people who have offices or a base of operations or something. Why can't you people get this?

Hope they sort out the problems, I love the PSN.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Mister Benoit said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Mister Benoit said:

I'm just bitter because Virtua Tennis 3 doesn't have online for the PS3.
See, that's not Sony's fault, you should be blaming SEGA for that injustice.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
HG131 said:
EDIT 2: Also, let's just point out the fact that you're getting angry over a service they provide for free. If someone were to give you free food and it wasn't that good, would you complain? If not, why would you complain about this? It's free. They're giving it to you. They don't have to make it free, they could charge you money. So just be glad it's free.
Flawed logic. The option to pay for a better version of the service isn't being provided for a console you dropped money on.

It's like saying, "You can't insult an NFL quarterback, because you aren't another NFL quarterback." If the flaws aren't pointed out, what's the point in fixing them? If people don't say they want something better, why improve?