PSN Down Worldwide; Is Anonymous to Blame?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Low Key said:
If Anonymous did it, they'd announce it. As dumb as they are sometimes, they have the decency to forewarn their targets. That may only be because they couldn't coordinate an attack without publicly broadcasting it somewhere.

Either way, I'm fairly confident it's not the work of the main group.
Besides the fact that they would've already claimed responsibility, Anonymous doesn't usually follow through with an attack that would affect the general public. It would be like Wikileaks uncovering what I eat for breakfast every day: weird and counterintuitive.

The only ones I could see doing this on purpose would be anyone/anygroup that would want people to start hacking their ps3s.

Really, I don't even think this is an intentional attack. I think the PSN infrastructure is falling apart. Sony has put little effort into supporting the ps3/psn and now it seems like the whole system is deteriorating like the web browsing feature on the ps3.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
HG131 said:
gigastar said:
HG131 said:
Well, this just goes to show you that free things never work as well as things you pay for.

EDIT: And before someone complains because I'm insulting PSN, just remember, you guys always rub it in Xbox user's faces that your service is free and ours is not. I'm just reminding you that free =/= good, functional or unlikely for this to happen. /someonewhoboughtPortal2forPC

EDIT 2: Also, let's just point out the fact that you're getting angry over a service they provide for free. If someone were to give you free food and it wasn't that good, would you complain? If not, why would you complain about this? It's free. They're giving it to you. They don't have to make it free, they could charge you money. So just be glad it's free.
I wouldnt just attribute a global failure to a couple servers missing thier regular maintenance. Just saying.

OT: Waited some 3 months to enjoy the co-op. I think i can wait another few days. Im very good at waiting.
I'm not saying that. I'm just saying, it's free. You get what you paid for, and guess what? You don't complain about free things. It's just a fact of life.
And where did i complain about this free service that i rarely use? If that really is all youre saying you should stop hiding your obvious dissentment behind those 'you get what you paid for' and 'dont complain about something you get for free' excuses.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Why anyone would play portal 2 on a console anyway is beyond me.

Either way i heartily approve if it was anon, or, hell, i approve no matter who did this.

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
Thank god we don't do streaming games yet. At least I can still play my single player PS3 games while I wait.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Saviordd1 said:
Why anyone would play portal 2 on a console anyway is beyond me.

Either way i heartily approve if it was anon, or, hell, i approve no matter who did this.
I'm pretty sure that it has keyboard and mouse support for the PS3.

I know you can plug them in and use them, I just don't know if any games have support for it.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
HG131 said:
gigastar said:
HG131 said:
gigastar said:
HG131 said:
Well, this just goes to show you that free things never work as well as things you pay for.

EDIT: And before someone complains because I'm insulting PSN, just remember, you guys always rub it in Xbox user's faces that your service is free and ours is not. I'm just reminding you that free =/= good, functional or unlikely for this to happen. /someonewhoboughtPortal2forPC

EDIT 2: Also, let's just point out the fact that you're getting angry over a service they provide for free. If someone were to give you free food and it wasn't that good, would you complain? If not, why would you complain about this? It's free. They're giving it to you. They don't have to make it free, they could charge you money. So just be glad it's free.
I wouldnt just attribute a global failure to a couple servers missing thier regular maintenance. Just saying.

OT: Waited some 3 months to enjoy the co-op. I think i can wait another few days. Im very good at waiting.
I'm not saying that. I'm just saying, it's free. You get what you paid for, and guess what? You don't complain about free things. It's just a fact of life.
And where did i complain about this free service that i rarely use? If that really is all youre saying you should stop hiding your obvious dissentment behind those 'you get what you paid for' and 'dont complain about something you get for free' excuses.
I wasn't aiming that at you. I was just saying, in general, that people shouldn't complain about something they get for free. If you (and I'm using You in a general sense, not you as in the guy I'm quoting) had someone who worked for hours to provide you with a free meal, and it wasn't that good, would you throw it across the room and yell at him "THIS IS A PIECE OF SHIT! I DEMAND BETTER SERVICE!"?
Well no i wouldnt, if i worked for several hours for a meal i would be hungry first. Though, i wouldnt be amused if that meal was a turd sandwich.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
THANKS ANONYMOUS, FOR BEING SO USEFUL /sarcasm

This is why I will forever hate Geohot and pirates. They do these horrible things and then claim they fight for our rights.

Void Droid

Oct 6, 2010
First the vending machine and now PSN... Anyone seen Terminator The Sarah Connor Chronicles? Dates match, it's Skynet...

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Mister Benoit said:
Maybe they're just looking for someone to blame because their shoddy service went down o_O

Easier to blame others than yourself.
Pretty much. Five bucks for a dime that it's them failing to implement Steam successful and now they're shouting OMG HAX to cover their failures up.

Kind of like all the people that play online... how appropriate! :D

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Are people still having trouble with it? I was playing World at War about 2 hours ago, or has it been rectified by then?

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Dexter111 said:
JDKJ said:
Dexter111 said:
I've always wondered why this doesn't happen more often, it would certainly raise awareness that the ability to play your games shouldn't be bound to a single centralized system which screws over everyone when it's down.
Are you suggesting that two independent network systems be created so that there'll always be a back-up if one goes down? That's the same argument I used on my bank when I was trying to convince them that lending me $250,000 so that I could buy a Lamborghini to have sitting around in case my everyday car broke down was a brilliant idea. For some strange reason, they weren't convinced of the brilliance.
I'm "suggesting" that it would be a lot better for about anyone involved if the games would just connect to separate Master servers that either announce Dedicated or handle the Matchmaking and the publishers/devs/communities (or fans if you have the option to set up your own dedicated) take care of that and the whole "Playstation Network" and "XBox Live" thing only be used as a layer over the underlying network architecture... not as its backbone.
But hell they'd have to give up some control over their platform to do that and we can't have that xD
Yeah like with cheaters and hackers making their own matches with broken rules/teams being possible and easier if there isn't a universal network channeling all the information making sure the servers you go to are valid and or not altered in some fashion.

Examples would the Private WoW servers,Idle Servers in Team Fortress 2 and CoD servers that boost stats outside of traditional play methods.(Which all got/get shutdown and/or banned or reset and suspended.)

Not saying it's would happen all the time but with it being easier more people would feel pushed to "Level" the playing field.