PSN Down Worldwide; Is Anonymous to Blame?

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
I doubt this is Anons and I highly doubt that Sony will try to push the blame on them since that would mean admitting that a hacking attack could bring down their entire network which would make them look weak. If it's just a accidental problem created by a bad update or equipment failure it just means they're human and make mistakes every once in a while and the network is for the most part safe and reliable.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
immovablemover said:
Sony called the recent attacks on Sony's sites and the PSN a mild irritation that their techies could easily handle

a week later and anonymous can suddenly bring down the entire Sony network for days.

Bullshit. Sony is just scapegoating Anon. Use your brains, Escapist.
No shit people, this points it out precisely. No way anon has brought the whole PSN down worldwide. This is Sony's slip-up. Anon would have claimed the blame for this already had it been them, EVEN THOUGH THEY CLAIMED TO NOT DO THIS AGAIN because it only hurts the people (and themselves) as a whole.

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
I'm kinda stuck with studies at the time, so not that much of a loss for me.
I hope they get it back online.

DonTsetsi

May 22, 2009
HG131 said:
gigastar said:
HG131 said:
gigastar said:
HG131 said:
Well, this just goes to show you that free things never work as well as things you pay for.

EDIT: And before someone complains because I'm insulting PSN, just remember, you guys always rub it in Xbox user's faces that your service is free and ours is not. I'm just reminding you that free =/= good, functional or unlikely for this to happen. /someonewhoboughtPortal2forPC

EDIT 2: Also, let's just point out the fact that you're getting angry over a service they provide for free. If someone were to give you free food and it wasn't that good, would you complain? If not, why would you complain about this? It's free. They're giving it to you. They don't have to make it free, they could charge you money. So just be glad it's free.
I wouldnt just attribute a global failure to a couple servers missing thier regular maintenance. Just saying.

OT: Waited some 3 months to enjoy the co-op. I think i can wait another few days. Im very good at waiting.
I'm not saying that. I'm just saying, it's free. You get what you paid for, and guess what? You don't complain about free things. It's just a fact of life.
And where did i complain about this free service that i rarely use? If that really is all youre saying you should stop hiding your obvious dissentment behind those 'you get what you paid for' and 'dont complain about something you get for free' excuses.
I wasn't aiming that at you. I was just saying, in general, that people shouldn't complain about something they get for free. If you (and I'm using You in a general sense, not you as in the guy I'm quoting) had someone who worked for hours to provide you with a free meal, and it wasn't that good, would you throw it across the room and yell at him "THIS IS A PIECE OF SHIT! I DEMAND BETTER SERVICE!"?
Why do you think it's free? You paid for the console, didn't you? The multiplayer is just one of its features.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Today is <url=http://terminator.wikia.com/wiki/Judgment_Day>Judgement Day (according to the Sarah Connor Chronicles) and a global network of powerful, interlinked computers isn't working right?

Looks like we're screwed.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
immovablemover said:
jpoon said:
No shit people, this points it out precisely. No way anon has brought the whole PSN down worldwide. This is Sony's slip-up. Anon would have claimed the blame for this already had it been them, EVEN THOUGH THEY CLAIMED TO NOT DO THIS AGAIN because it only hurts the people (and themselves) as a whole.
This actually brings up another giant wad of evidence against the claim

Does ANYONE think that Anonymous would not brag furiously about toppling a world wide network? The only reaction it has gained from /b/ is annoyance that Newf*gs keep posting threads about "Y u bring down PSN?!?"
Well, anon deserves ALL the blame for it.

That's like bragging how you could kill the Queen of England with your eyes closed. Then someone actually causes her harm, and you're surprised when people suspect you may have done it?

Anon should've NEVER attacked PSN. Then they couldn't be a possible suspect in it. But they did, and so they deserve to be the scape goats.

dibblywibbles

Mar 20, 2009
and the best online service award goes to....just when I was starting to stop treating my ps3 like a video player and actually using it for games... hmmm

Misho-

May 20, 2010
Meh, it always happens as soon as I decide to lpay something online or like (yesterday around 10pm) buy something on the PSN... I hate Anon...

Falko

Jun 5, 2010
Jodah said:
Its been up and down for the past two weeks.
Yeah, I noticed that too. I love all the insane theories about Anonymous this is creating though

The_Fezz

Oct 21, 2010
Well, that's made my day EVEN worse.

Now I have to relay that to friends on Facebook before the fanboys begin thier assault.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
That Guy Who Phails said:
Saviordd1 said:
Why anyone would play portal 2 on a console anyway is beyond me.
Some people just can't afford an Ati 5870....Oh, wait, it's the source engine....

..Some people just can't afford a Gt 430....
That made me lol IRL. I get over 300 fps in Portal 2, The Source engine is still great.

A Distant Star

Feb 15, 2008
Is this Anon? Right now there's no one talking about it on any of the usual Anonymous hang outs. Sony has not out right accused Anonymous of anything, and Anonymous has not taken credit for anything. I dont think this is anon, though I would be lying if I said the thought didnt cross my mind.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Orcus The Ultimate said:
i'm laughing right now at those who bought a PSN Plus membership...
Why what's the difference between a regular and a Plus member in this or hell a five year old who just got a PS3 yesterday for their birthday who's parent(s)are trying to set up account(s)?(Just using the last one as an example I'm not currently aware of anyone in that situation.)

Last week when the servers went down Sony's PSN claimed server maintenance was the issue at fault while Anonymous claimed it was actually because of them and stopped after seeing what it overall effected . Now that could be 1 of 3 things from my point of view.

A. Anonymous attacked them and then stopped before Sony could fully determine the cause.

B. Anonymous attacked them and then stopped after Sony could for sure determine or very likely assume it to be some sort of third party interference but after hearing the attack would be stopped simply claimed Server maintenance to comfort those concerned with security of PSN.

C.(In my opinion the least likely of the 3[It's C for a reason.]) It was in fact server maintenance and Anonymous just claimed it(Note:not until after the fallout of it effecting users of PSN other than just a broad attack against Sony America).

So in one scenario Anonymous lies, in another Sony lies and lastly one where both tell the truth but one paints Anonymous as Liars and other 2 paint Sony as Lairs.

If Anonymous is vindictive then they may consider relaunching the attack till Sony admited outside interference,Or it's some separate splinter cell, different branch with different views than the ones who said they'd stop or just individuals [In this event not claiming to be apart of Anonymous] who want to interfere with PSN for other reasons or to discredit Anonymous. (Maybe even Valve/Steam since no one's really blaming Socom 4 for this?)

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
Way to be Anon, piss off the people that you're "fighting for". That makes a lot of sense.