PSN Phasing Back Into Existence With Enhanced Security

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
PSN Phasing Back Into Existence With Enhanced Security

Sony will soon restore the PlayStation Network in a "phased rollout," adding enhanced security features and giving away customer appreciation bonuses.

The recent attack [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109568-Sony-Admits-Private-PSN-Info-Has-Been-Stolen-All-Of-It] on Sony's PlayStation Network captivated many nations around the world as people began to wonder just how safe their personal data was in the digital realm. With the PSN shutdown now approaching 11 days, Sony has announced that it'll be restoring certain aspects of the service this week, while other features will return in phases.

The "phased rollout" of services will begin with the restoration of the ability for PS3 and PSP owners to play games online, which is a big one. Logging in to the PSN will require users to change their passwords as part of newly implemented security measures. The first phase will also include returned access to Qriocity music services, to unexpired movie rentals, PlayStation Home, PSN friends lists, and chat.

The PlayStation Store won't be brought back immediately, much to the chagrin of game developers [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109581-PSN-Developers-Discuss-PSN-Disaster] that rely on it for revenue. Sony says it'll "continue to reinforce and verify security for transactions before resuming the PlayStation Store and other Qriocity operations, scheduled for this month." This appears to mean that the rest of the PSN will be back sometime in May.

Sony also detailed the measures that it took to ensure that it won't be attacked again in the same manner. Here they are, straight from Sony's press release:

Working closely with several outside security firms, the company has implemented significant security measures to further detect unauthorized activity and provide consumers with greater protection of their personal information. The company is also creating the position of Chief Information Security Officer, directly reporting to Shinji Hasejima, Chief Information Officer of Sony Corporation, to add a new position of expertise in and accountability for customer data protection and supplement existing information security personnel. The new security measures implemented include, but are not limited to, the following:

Added automated software monitoring and configuration management to help defend against new attacks
Enhanced levels of data protection and encryption
Enhanced ability to detect software intrusions within the network, unauthorized access and unusual activity patterns
Implementation of additional firewalls

Sony is still investigating the attack and plans to prosecute whoever's responsible to the full extent of the law, one would assume. Beyond words, Sony plans to apologize in two ways for the PSN downtime and the possibility of a stranger now knowing where its customers live. First, Sony is going to provide a "complimentary offering to assist users in enrolling in identity theft protection services and/or similar programs." This will occur at the local level, with more details coming later. Second, a "welcome back" program will offer free PlayStation Network downloads, a free 30-day membership to PlayStation Plus, and a free 30-day membership to Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity. The exact content to be made available for free download will also be region specific and announced at a later date.

Best case scenario here is that the attacker(s) didn't actually steal any personal data, which isn't 100% confirmed yet, and every PSN user will just get a bunch of free games or DLC and access to premium PlayStation Plus features for being a good sport. For me personally, the badness level of having my identity stolen versus the goodness level of getting a videogame I want for free is a toss up, so this is a step in the right direction.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Good. See good things are happening from this. Good job Sony, I am proud of you guys. Now just don't miss something like this again.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Well hopefully this will resolve well enough in the end, that Sony won't suffer too much. Backlash has happened, and I'm sure there are now more X-box owners and less PS3 owners. As for me, I still stand by it. Hopefully the hackers won't be dicks and attack again.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Long as my information remains safe, I'll have no issue with PSN. A month of complimentary service for the worry and downtime seems fair.

Kunzer

Press R to cause ragequit
Jul 14, 2008
They can phase back into existence with all the security they want. They already lost me as a customer.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
If Sony's serious about this, I might just be able to download a copy of the Red Dead Undead thingy for free. If so, all is forgiven. :p

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
They will seriously need to do some damage control. I was talking to a co-worker who buys games for her kids and doesn't follow the news as much, and her faith in Sony has seriously been rocked. She didn't use her credit card to buy anything on the service, nor did I, but despite our differences as consumers, both of us are very disappointed in Sony. I am only lucky that I diversify my passwords. My co-worker is lucky that she barely uses PSN services since her kids live in the Philippines. At the very least, she is minimally effected and will get some free games for her kids when they return to Canada.

Jackson - Deathclaw

Feb 21, 2009
did i hear free Dead Money DLC?
I never really feared this as much as a lot of other ppl and i think this was actually quite well handled by Sony to make sure they had the info so everyone didnt lose there shit when this happened
good on ya Sony

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
Just in case people don't realise this regarding the free PS+

It's for a MONTH. After that it continues automatically. You have to manually set for it to not roll over.

I can see A LOT of people not realising this and ending up being charged for what is a 'free' thing.

Personally I woulda been happy with a £5 off voucher for anything in the store.

kevinsux909

Mar 4, 2010
Once the paranoia that some hacker will change my password is proven false (I hope, cue nervous laughter> I actually might think this was worth it seeing as I rarely go online to play.
fingers crossed for free Honest Hearts!

BanthaFodder

Jan 17, 2011
Good. They say that it'll be back by the end of May by the latest. I don't care how long it takes to get it back up, keeping my info safe and getting these neckbearded cunts behind bars should be the first priority, and it looks like Sony realises this. They seem to have realised how badly they handled this in the beginning and decided to man up and get some shit done.
Good job Sony, as long as you're doing all you can do. Just remember, I can wait to play Portal 2 online, my personal and financial info is a bit more important to me at the moment. Don't rush PSN back out of pressure, take your time and ensure everything is perfectly safe before that.

Edit: as for the free month of PS+, here's my plan:
1. get PS+
2. download every bit of free shit
3. ????
4. PROFIT!!!

Freeze_L

Feb 17, 2010
The damage is already done sony :( Also i doubt the ones responsible for this will ever be caught. If they have not bragged at this point it means they are real pros. Chances of the FBI's miserably underfunded, under-trained, and understaffed cyber crime division will catch them is rather low. Sucks but i don't think the headline "PSN Hackers Caught" is going to be up anytime soon, and if it is they will be false alarms.

HHKelevra

Jun 5, 2010
Well, I'm not tossing out my PS3 just yet. But I'm buying prepaid network cards from now on.

Muco5681

Apr 2, 2010
even tho im a xbox owner i kinda feel ps3 users are getting the shaft again if some scumbag stole all my info ps3 had to do a bit more then 1 month of free stuff to get me to come back

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Now we can finally start putting this behind us.

Like BP's catastrophic oil spill in the Gulf, everyone will forget about it soon enough.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
For me personally, the badness level of having my identity stolen versus the goodness level of getting a videogame I want for free is a toss up,

This particular line bothers me. Does this mean that if I offer you a free copy of Brink, you will give me your info? Who, realistically speaking, would say that having their data stolen is equivalent to a new videogame? Stolen data like this is estimated to cost an average of $318.00 per compromised record.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109611-Credit-Card-Breach-May-Cost-Sony-24-Billion

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
"Added automated software monitoring and configuration management to help defend against new attacks"

Decoded: Turned on logging

"Enhanced levels of data protection and encryption"

Decoded: Enabled SSL

"Enhanced ability to detect software intrusions within the network, unauthorized access and unusual activity patterns"

Decoded: Hired a person to read the logs

"Implementation of additional firewalls"

Decoded: Installed a firewall