Publishers Wanted Life is Strange Devs to Make Leads Male

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Well see, this sort of game makes perfect sense to have a female character. High School identity drama? Basically a slam dunk opportunity for it.

I've got no complaints like I might regarding an action adventure game where I'm kicking 265lb dudes through walls. I don't blame the publishers though. This game in general doesn't look like it will appeal to a male audience at all. But we'll have to see if it ends up being a crossover title.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Well of course SquEnix didn't complain, have you seen their characters? There's no difference between their males and females! *rimshot*

OT: Of all the money making design decisions, forcing male leads is the worst. I bet if the developer went ahead with the female lead, the publishers would ask that the promotional art feature some male secondary character at the forefront.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
crimson5pheonix said:
Well of course SquEnix didn't complain, have you seen their characters? There's no difference between their males and females! *rimshot*

OT: Of all the money making design decisions, forcing male leads is the worst. I bet if the developer went ahead with the female lead, the publishers would ask that the promotional art feature some male secondary character at the forefront.
Is it the worst? Or do we have a clear example of action games and movies with female leads doing poorer than such games/movies with male leads due to a relatively frequently cited different of genre preferences by gender. People like to cite marketing differences but when comparing games with similar budgets the female-led games still come out a little behind depending on their genre.

To wit, girls typically don't like action/adventure movies/games and prefer drama/romance while young males typically prefer action (though grow closer to align with females as they get older). That's not good or bad, it's just who we are as a species and people need to get their minds around the fact that boys and girls aren't identical and each have specialized strengths and weaknesses as well as varying tastes in aggregate brought on by both evolutionary and environmental factors.

Sounds to me like most of the publishers understand that the majority of the AAA game's consumer base is male.

However, as I noted above, this doesn't appear to be an action game. It looks more like a drama/exploratory game. As long as their budget isn't aimed at making COD returns they may do very well. Also, the age of the average AAA gamer was over 30 before they started including iOS games so drama games may have a better shot.

But you've got to know your audience and play to that if you're investing money. You don't make romance novels with male leads because they don't sell. Not because you couldn't make a good romance novel with a male lead at all.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
gmaverick019 said:
Phasmal said:
Hmm, where's all the outrage from the people who insist we protect `creative freedom`?

How strange.

Anyway, that's fucked up. Games industry/publishing needs to get the fuck over itself and just let people make games.

I'm not interested in this game since it just doesn't tickle my interest, but since you insist starting out with a completely not snide and generalized comment like that...

reporting for duty.

I don't grab my pitchfork and torch, but I do believe pubs should generally fuck off and let dev's go with their "creative freedom" to steal your phrase. Not that they are completely comparable, but I do think publishers do mess with movie scripts/scenes and books sometimes, so I think alot of industries do have their fault with messing with products and it's not unique to gaming.
"...I think alot of industries do have their fault with messing with products and it's not unique to gaming."

I agree, however I doubt book and movie publishers said something like "Yeah, Hunger Games sounds like a good idea; but first you have to replace the protagonist with a male character, or there's no deal."

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
CaitSeith said:
gmaverick019 said:
Phasmal said:
Hmm, where's all the outrage from the people who insist we protect `creative freedom`?

How strange.

Anyway, that's fucked up. Games industry/publishing needs to get the fuck over itself and just let people make games.

I'm not interested in this game since it just doesn't tickle my interest, but since you insist starting out with a completely not snide and generalized comment like that...

reporting for duty.

I don't grab my pitchfork and torch, but I do believe pubs should generally fuck off and let dev's go with their "creative freedom" to steal your phrase. Not that they are completely comparable, but I do think publishers do mess with movie scripts/scenes and books sometimes, so I think alot of industries do have their fault with messing with products and it's not unique to gaming.
"...I think alot of industries do have their fault with messing with products and it's not unique to gaming."

I agree, however I doubt book and movie publishers said something like "Yeah, Hunger Games sounds like a good idea; but first you have to replace the protagonist with a male character, or there's no deal."
They do that all the time, actually. Well with movies at least because the final product is very much publishing execs working with the writers to produce something marketable most of the time - every now and then a director will argue for this or that story they always wanted to tell, but the number of directors who actually get to do that are pretty limited. For books since all the work is done before it gets brought to a publisher, the publisher just says no and doesn't publish it.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Lightknight said:
Well see, this sort of game makes perfect sense to have a female character. High School identity drama? Basically a slam dunk opportunity for it.

I've got no complaints like I might regarding an action adventure game where I'm kicking 265lb dudes through walls. I don't blame the publishers though. This game in general doesn't look like it will appeal to a male audience at all. But we'll have to see if it ends up being a crossover title.
I don't think letting the publishers off the hook that easily is logical. They suggested a nonsensical change of something that had perfect sense as it was. If they don't think that game will appeal to a male audience at all, why didn't they just say that? Besides, this game obviously isn't directed to the usual AAA action audience; not because of the character, but because of the theme and gameplay. With which logic did they come up with the conclusion that changing the female character to male would attract such audience? Or did they (the publishers) develop a Pavlovian response to such games? Either way, it seems illogical.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
CaitSeith said:
Lightknight said:

I don't think letting the publishers off the hook that easily is logical. They suggested a nonsensical change of something that had perfect sense as it was. If they don't think that game will appeal to a male audience at all, why didn't they just say that? Besides, this game obviously isn't directed to the usual AAA action audience; not because of the character, but because of the theme and gameplay. With which logic did they come up with the conclusion that changing the female character to male would attract such audience? Or did they (the publishers) develop a Pavlovian response to such games? Either way, it seems illogical.
Well, there isn't really a hook to let these publishers off of. It's their money to invest and if the project looks risky enough for them to want to cater to a larger market then they're just doing right by their investors. There is no moral imperative demanding they make risky decisions and from the looks of it this is a risky game.

It depends on what sort of budget they were requesting. If they want AAA budgeting then most publishers are going to want the game catered towards a AAA market which is still dominated by males according to the NDP study they put out last year distinguishing between casual, core (core games as in AAA), and heavy core gamers (heavy as in gamers that play core games for 5+ hours a week) by gender (fyi, the casual games market is dominated by females and the heavy core game market is dominated by males while still spending twice as much as the other segments).

If you approached me with a desire to start a panty-hose making company and wanted an investment, I'd want to see what product you're producing. I would be less psyched about the ball-friendly panty-hose line you pitch than I would be about the comfortable-for-women panty-hose line idea. That's because women are the majority of the consumers of panty hose and I'm only investing money to turn a profit. I don't have to invest with you. My money could go to other companies so why invest in the one that isn't at least somewhat optimized for the consumer market you are facing?

So yeah, I get what story they're trying to tell and why a woman makes sense in this story. But I would also understand the other studios who don't think it aligns with the target market.

Of course, if the budget was small enough to constitute a more niche market then that throws the risk out the window and could end up exploding into a success since we (males) aren't necessarily opposed to playing as females where it makes sense. Also, if the story isn't quite what I think and ends up being something that appeals to men too then it could be in one of those in-between states where it just ends up looking like a big risk to these companies.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Vigormortis said:
Alexander Kirby said:
Vigormortis said:
-[snip]-
I'm sure some insisted on the change, but ALL but SqueEnix insisted? Don't buy it. This reeks more of PR finagling than it does of artistic differences between developer and publisher.
I'll have to agree with you on that one, games with only female leads (i.e. not just where the player can choose) are more rare than males, but they're certainly not impossible to find. This wouldn't be the first time when truths are somewhat embellished in order to make news or publicise something.
Precisely. And I'll be the first to harp on a publisher for insisting a developer make such a drastic change. Hell, I wasn't that big a fan of The Last of Us but I was really frustrated with the publishers insistence that the male lead be placed front and center on the box art, with Ellie possibly being removed entirely.

But this? Maybe I need a glass of water, because it's just too hard to swallow. Especially with some publishers actively seeking out game projects with female leads nowadays.

I absolutely acknowledge the fact that many publishers would want the change, but the claim of SquaEnix being the only one that didn't rings hollow.
Someone perhaps already said it but I believe that was Bioshock Infinite not The Last of Us.

I'm in agreement with those against this "women don't draw" opinion some publishers have. They don't draw for those companies no doubt because they've been burying them for years.
I know it must sound absolutely ridiculous but perhaps if management helped talent get over... they'd get over. Worth a shot guys.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Aaron Sylvester said:
Eh I don't blame the publishers, their market analysts are probably telling them that male leads sell slightly more copies than female leads (which isn't too hard to believe). They're profit-driven more than anything else.

Many publishers believe that since they are helping with funding + advertising, they should have a say in what the game is about. Often we're talking countless millions of dollars and anxious stockholders, so that's not exactly unreasonable.

But I still personally believe developers should have full creative freedom.
I blame them, if they're going to listen to marketing analysts that retarded.

Sep 14, 2009
CaitSeith said:

eh I think you would be surprised when it does happen, specifically if they think a character would be for a possible love interest, then it's jackpot to make sure it's the opposite sex of whatever the main buff male dude is.

that said, I think it is more blatant in gaming, possibly due to it being a younger medium of entertainment, but who knows.

Rozalia1 said:
Someone perhaps already said it but I believe that was Bioshock Infinite not The Last of Us.

I'm in agreement with those against this "women don't draw" opinion some publishers have. They don't draw for those companies no doubt because they've been burying them for years.
I know it must sound absolutely ridiculous but perhaps if management helped talent get over... they'd get over. Worth a shot guys.
not picking on you specifically, but I do think it was both games in fact.

quick source for last of us:

http://www.polygon.com/2012/12/12/3758170/the-last-of-us-developer-refused-to-push-female-lead-to-back-of-cover

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Arcane Azmadi said:
Aaron Sylvester said:
Eh I don't blame the publishers, their market analysts are probably telling them that male leads sell slightly more copies than female leads (which isn't too hard to believe). They're profit-driven more than anything else.

Many publishers believe that since they are helping with funding + advertising, they should have a say in what the game is about. Often we're talking countless millions of dollars and anxious stockholders, so that's not exactly unreasonable.

Oh? You know better than game publishers (who make their living off of selling games) about the demographics of the consumer market and have collected a ton of sales data to verify your claims? If so, you should approach them with your data and make your money. If not, look, they invest millions of dollars into these games. A flop means millions of dollars not just loss but also lost opportunity where they could have invested in something safer. Just wishing there to be more females in your consumer base doesn't make it so. I'm sorry, but publishers would be idiotic to invest AAA money into a niche product. Women do not make up 50% of the core gaming demographic. Last I checked, they made up less than 20% of the AAA console market and not much has changed since then except for an explosion of iOS games would would just further detract women from AAA gaming.

The issue is likely that the biggest money makers are action games. In film and literature women dislike action genres on average while it's men that enjoy those. It would be silly to think that the application of those preferences wouldn't also extend to games. But since action lends itself particularly well to interactive art like video gaming then it's really difficult to succeed on a large scale with anything else. So the market is basically all action and rarely anything else and that's not necessarily bad so much just the way the medium works. Walking simulators, for example (like Stanley Parable or Dear Esther) can be great but they end up being more niche markets no matter how much I like them or want them to succeed. First person perspective is often easy to pull off in literature but regularly failed in movies because first person video is nauseating to watch for any length of time. So unless we find an entirely new means of telling dramatic stories without action women aren't going to be found as consumers at the same rate as men. Sure, we have action games that have dramatic twists in them. But women are far more likely to play casual games or RTS titles than those sorts of games. Problem with that is those aren't usually story driven games.

So unless you have some sort of hidden knowledge that the people pumping hundreds of millions into research and development like this don't, then you've got to stop being mad when businesses cater to their consumers and not to your whims and flights of fancy that men and women are all identical in every way with no differences in tastes or habits. No matter how much we huff and puff about how much we think the world should be one way doesn't make us right or it so. We live in a world where a hundred people can make a huge stink online about anything they want without actually being correct. Just because you're seeing vocal proponents of AAA games catered to women doesn't actually mean that doing so will translate into AAA returns. Publishers continue to dip their feet into the water here and there and keep failing. No idea when, if ever, the results will turn out to be the same.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
CaitSeith said:
Have you read the hunger games? Katniss spent far more time brooding and going through emotional distress than killing. She was basically a figure head. So as far as literature goes it was a good story to cater to females and had enough action to cater to males. It may have been more popular with a male lead but then the drama wouldn't have been a big enough pull.

Literature is one of the lowest costs of production there are to get into media. You just need a person with the time and means to write a book. There is not even necessarily any consideration of audience in the creation of the books either because they can be written for personal pleasure instead of trying to make a buck.

Movies and Games though, it's hard to produce them for anything not in the realm of millions. So they often borrow from already successful books because those are good indicators of cultural demand. So complaining that book publishers don't tell people to make their books have women in it isn't as likely as a movie publisher telling a movie writer that the action film needs to have a man since female led action films usually flop.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Lightknight said:
snip
...female led action films usually flop.
Do you have the sources for that statement?

Meanwhile, in the game industry side, maybe I'm wrong, but the budget and demographics in the graphic adventures' target market is different to the one in the AAA action games.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
CaitSeith said:
Lightknight said:
snip
The argument (to your credit) is generally that female led action films are usually shitty storytelling moreso than flops because the heroine happens to have breasts. In fact, guys generally like to see those lumps and will pay to see them (same reason Tomb Raider as a game exploded). There are some exceptions to the rule that made a lot of money (Kill Bill, Hunger Games, Aliens, etc), but they appear to flop a lot more frequently than male led action films when given comparable budgets and star power. Content providers are then in a rough spot where they know sex sells and yet it's becoming taboo to do that. I don't really think the sort of heroes people are asking for is sexy though. I think people want legitimate female characters doing what the boys are doing and that's going to take some foot work to make popular.

It seems like female films with guns do a heck of a lot better though than ones where they're punching 265 lb men through walls. So I should preface that even though I know gun movies are action films, I'm personally thinking about those sorts of punch-fest action films. But even movies that succeed the first time like Tomb Raider frequently flop the next time around and the reason for that is much less defined and is scary (aka risky) to publishers.

So I'll concede that there are other potential reasons for why the flop that may have nothing to do with how they're addressed. But they are still generally catered towards men. In any event, women still typically aren't the fans of these movies and they do appear to be far riskier than male-led movies when comparing similar budgets/source material. But no one is going to be able to save a shitty movie regardless of the protagonist.

I'm not sure if I'd concede the "usually flop" line for female led action films though. They do seem to perform poorer as a whole but I honestly can't find enough numbers on the subject so, the burden of proof being on me, I'll have to admit defeat even if I still think it correct given the movies that I do know about and how they are considered flops and how hollywood execs agree with that notion.

Meanwhile, in the game industry side, maybe I'm wrong, but the budget and demographics in the graphic adventures' target market is different to the one in the AAA action games.
Yes, absolutely. That's why I said in my original post that it depends on what kind of budget they're asking for. If they have a novel idea and were asking for AAA budgeting then publishers may have thought it should specifically cater to the AAA market if they'd consider it.

If they were asking for niche market budgets then I don't personally see any sort of conflict. Cheap and potentially ground breaking? Count me in, you know? Doing OK would make some money back but the potentially huge return could be great if it takes off as something unique.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Lightknight said:
CaitSeith said:
Lightknight said:
snip
The argument is generally that female led action films are usually shitty storytelling moreso than flops purely because the heroine happens to have breasts. In fact, guys generally like to see those lumps and will pay to see them (same reason Tomb Raider as a game exploded). There are some exceptions to the rule that made a lot of money (Kill Bill, Hunger Games, Aliens, etc), but they appear to flop a lot more frequently than male led action films when given comparable budgets and star power. Content providers are then in a rough spot where they know sex sells and yet it's becoming taboo to do that.

It seems like female films with guns do a heck of a lot better though than ones where they're punching 265 lb women through walls. So I should preface that even though I know gun movies are action films, I'm personally thinking about those sorts of punch-fest action films. But even movies that succeed the first time like Tomb Raider frequently flop the next time around and the reason for that is much less defined.

So I'll concede that there are other potential reasons for why the flop that may have nothing to do with how they're addressed. But they are still generally catered towards men. In any event, women still typically aren't the fans of these movies.
Sorry. I didn't mean to ask why the films flop. I was asking the reference for your conclusion that there is such a low successes/flops ratio to state "usually" (in other words, which is the ratio?).

Yes, absolutely. That's why I said in my original post that it depends on what kind of budget they're asking for. If they have a novel idea and were asking for AAA budgeting then publishers may have thought it should specifically cater to the AAA market if they'd consider it.

If they were asking for niche market budgets then I don't personally see any sort of conflict. Cheap and potentially ground breaking? Count me in, you know? Doing OK would make some money back but the potentially huge return could be great if it takes off as something unique.
I agree. But that's a detail that we don't know: which kind of budget were they asking for? That's why I'm not letting the publishers off the hook so easily here.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Lightknight said:
Arcane Azmadi said:
Aaron Sylvester said:

Oh? You know better than game publishers (who make their living off of selling games) about the demographics of the consumer market and have collected a ton of sales data to verify your claims?
No, I'm just not a twat.

"Durr, gamers don't want games with silly gurls in them. Who Raider? Met-what? Never heard of them!"

If a publisher's only condition for a developer is that they compromise their entire creative vision because some statistic-gargling blockhead has told them that it will theoretically let them sell a few extra copies then they don't deserve to be in the publishing business.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
CaitSeith said:
Sorry. I didn't mean to ask why the films flop. I was asking the reference for your conclusion that there is such a low successes/flops ratio to state "usually" (in other words, which is the ratio?).
That's what I meant with my last paragraph. Without someone doing actual footwork any answers I could give you are anecdotal at best and, the burden of proof being on my shoulders, means I can't really give you a numerical answer because there doesn't appear to be one. It's like everyone talking about it is talking in anecdotes. People saying that movies do well point to movies like Tomb Raider in one breath while ignoring the failed performance of the sequel.

I only know that Hollywood execs are claiming that they're the ones that are the riskiest choice that flop. I think what many of them are looking for are building franchises and there's a lot of female led action movies that really don't do well on sequels. So I can understand their line of thinking there but like I said before, the sequels are often very poorly made. But hey, so was Iron Man 2.

I agree. But that's a detail that we don't know: which kind of budget were they asking for? That's why I'm not letting the publishers off the hook so easily here.
Well, while I think it would be somewhat silly for them to pass on a game like this, the budget is still going to be several million dollars. There is no hook for these companies to be on. They are investors. People aren't being unethical by not investing in something because they don't think it will do well. You can generally hold people accountable for investing in a clearly malicious company. But for not investing? Nope. Not their problem. Their money can always go somewhere else, it isn't a charity. They're looking to make the best business decision they can with their bucks.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Arcane Azmadi said:
Lightknight said:
Arcane Azmadi said:
Aaron Sylvester said:

Oh? You know better than game publishers (who make their living off of selling games) about the demographics of the consumer market and have collected a ton of sales data to verify your claims?
No, I'm just not a twat.

"Durr, gamers don't want games with silly gurls in them. Who Raider? Met-what? Never heard of them!"
Metroid being female didn't make one lick of a difference. That's like having a blob as a protagonist and slapping a bow on it at the end of the game like that makes the game different. The game itself was also ground breaking. Tomb Raider was eye candy and you know it. The gameplay was also rare at the time (puzzle platformer where you can do flips in the air while dual wielding pistols? Also novel for the time). But Lara was successfully marketed as a bosomed beauty and that's what boys wanted. Hell, I know that's what I wanted as a kid. But are people calling for more female eye candy or are they asking for plain but competent female characters? Seems like the latter. Otherwise there's a non-trivial number of games with playable females in them. In fact, here's a list of 962 games with a main female playable protagonist. [http://www.giantbomb.com/female-protagonists/3015-2287/games/] So there's the high horse and then there's the imaginary high horse.

It would be different if the games didn't exist and publishers claimed they weren't big money makers. Instead they do exist which begs the question of exactly what people are asking for that isn't presently getting catered to both in the AAA industry and the indie industry? Is the demand for more opportunities to play with women or is there also a demand that the only choice be female? That'd be kinda insane if so. Is there a particularly high need for more women in violent video games? Because, as I'll show below, women generally don't like violent themes in other forms of media either and that's just a fact of life thanks to higher empathy and lower levels of aggression caused by both social influence and biology (hormones like testosterone are a hell of a thing that have drastic impacts on the sexual dimorphism of our species).

If a publisher's only condition for a developer is that they compromise their entire creative vision because some statistic-gargling blockhead has told them that it will theoretically let them sell a few extra copies then they don't deserve to be in the publishing business.
Oh? Do you instead have millions of dollars to contribute to making games get made? Because that's the only requirement there is to be a publisher. Having enough money to get the job done. Who fucking cares what you or I want? Is it not their prerogative to make decisions they think is best to invest with their money on?

People with this mentality end up getting on soap boxes and try to bully or insult people who are actually making games happen (that wouldn't have otherwise happened) into making games the way YOU (royal) want them made. What if, and this is just a thought, but what if what you want isn't what the average gamer wants? Everyone is making the argument that women want to play as women and would play these games if the protagonists were women. But wouldn't it then naturally follow that men want to play as men?

If not, if people don't want to play as their own gender then why are we even having this discussion?

If so, then you've got a real problem on your hands where the vast majority of core and heavy core gamers are males while women are in the vast majority of casual games as the NDP article I mentioned earlier found. Females make up the majority of the "Free and Mobile Gamers" category (the largest category), overwhelmingly in the Social Gamers category, and close to 50/50 gender distribution in the Casual Gamer category. Those three categories make up 60% of gamers and are a big reason why studies like the ESA show the gaming demographics at being around 51%/49% male/female.

So what's the problem? The Avid Omni-Gamers and Core Console gamers are overwhelmingly male to offset the number of females in the other 60% of categories in order to make the ratio still favor males. These two categories and perhaps the "Family Gamers" (think Wii) are the AAA targets. The core console gamers also spent more than twice the amount of the other categories despite being 9% of the total US gaming population. They don't just purchase more physical games than the other groups, but they also purchase more micro-transactions and additional content than any other group. They are also the most likely to go to the internet for additional information (which makes them a more viable marketing opportunity).

So when AAA developers are looking to make a game, they aren't going to focus on the 60% of the market that is irrelevant to them. Unless they are making a family game they also aren't going to focus on the additional 9% that market makes up and it turns out that the family market isn't even buying new games, they're apparently playing games they already own. So they're going to focus on the remaining 31% of gamers that are spending the most money and mostly male. When Naughty dog cried foul about the market research that was aimed at only males they were actually showing ignorance of their target market that the marketing company was actually right about. That being said, would Ellie not being on the cover make the game less amazing? Not one bit. Would her not being in the story make the game less amazing? Yes, incredibly detrimental to why we loved the game. Would I have been less excited at playing the entire game a Ellie? Yep. Joel was the right choice for the lead and Ellie was an amazing choice for making the story matter. Perfect condition really.

Now, we can pout and stomp our feet a whole bunch about how we want them to cater to the demographics present in the other 69% of the market. But that's not their target market and that isn't where the money is. We cannot pout hard enough of stomp loud enough to convince AAA publishers to throw away AAA money on non-AAA consumers. That would be ridiculous.

That being said, there's a light at the end of the tunnel. See, as men get older their taste in media starts to align more with females. We trend closer towards drama as a genre and I can corroborate that in my own tastes. The average gaming age of the AAA market was 30 before we saw them start to throw iOS into the studies which is irrelevant to AAA developers. What this means is that guys like me don't particularly care who or what we play with as long as the story is worth the experience. I'd say the single biggest contribution to diversity in gaming has just been the aging of the current gaming population. Sex still sells, I'm sure. But 30-somethings are getting to a point where that's not enough to sell a game. We want stories with motivations and conflict that make sense with the occasional quirky adventures for comedy. Older males still generally enjoy action/adventure but just to a lesser degree than our younger counterparts. We enjoy it enough to keep games like COD and GTA at the top of the charts but we now enjoy dramatic titles enough to encourage their production and I'd say that's turned out to produce amazing games.

That is assuming that gender differences in genre preferences in movies and books apply to games. Which does appear to be the case when looking at the differences in genre purchases between genders.

http://www.flurry.com/sites/default/files/blog-images/GameType_byAge_andGender-resized-600_0.png

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Lightknight said:
CaitSeith said:
Well, while I think it would be somewhat silly for them to pass on a game like this, the budget is still going to be several million dollars. There is no hook for these companies to be on. They are investors. People aren't being unethical by not investing in something because they don't think it will do well. You can generally hold people accountable for investing in a clearly malicious company. But for not investing? Nope. Not their problem. Their money can always go somewhere else, it isn't a charity. They're looking to make the best business decision they can with their bucks.
Publishers aren't charity, but they are a relatively small group that has the most direct influence on how the games (specially AAA games) are made. That's some serious power over the gaming industry (or at least a big upper-hand in negotiations); and although it's true that as a business one of their main goals is to use it for putting money in their pockets, someone should make sure that their strategy doesn't be always playing it safe. Or else the market will eventually stagnate at best or crash at worst. You can see that kind of effects already in the F2P, where most games seem to have been designed by accountants (business first, consumer satisfaction ignored).

PS:

Lightknight said:
snip

http://www.flurry.com/sites/default/files/blog-images/GameType_byAge_andGender-resized-600_0.png
Where did you find that!? I have been searching for those statistics for a long time! (that and the platform statistics)

EDIT: Wait a minute... tracked iOS games? Does that mean that the study is based on mobile games only? What a bummer...

PS captcha: virtue of necessity