Question of the Day, April 10, 2010

InProgress

Feb 15, 2008
I have no issue with either. Sometimes, I might be in the mood for a turn-based RPG, while other times I would like a real-time based game.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
I really like 'em both, though I find I'm better at the tactics of turn based than the twitch and micro-managing mechanics of real-time. Still, I like 'em both.

Lucifel

Dec 28, 2009
I prefer real time combat mostly, but I don't mind it being turn based at all if it's something like Fallout (1 and 2, not the VATS annoying thingie) or Jagged Alliance. JRPG turn based combat is something I don't really like all that much.

child of lileth

The Norway Italian
Jun 10, 2009
I like real time in terms of stuff like Star Ocean. I just don't like Western style RPGs, so that's pretty much the biggest exception for that kind. I don't mind turn based though, but I just like real time more.

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
I don't like RPGs. But if I have to choose, Real-time. I hate turn-based combat.

The exceptions to that rule being Worms and Advance Wars.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
I don't mind either. Turn-based feels nostalgic, and some of my favourite games feature Turn-Based Combat, but some RPGS have great Real-Time Combat, and I enjoy it just as much.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Real time, as long as you can pause it and issue commands (a la Summoner).

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
While real time gets me engaged a bit more, it normally involves me just punching the attack command, since everything else takes too long to find. Plus, FFX's turn-based combat was so well designed, I'm very unlikely to ever disregard turn-based.

Flour

Mar 20, 2008
I like both but I play more turn-based games. KotOR is one of my favourite turn-based RPGs but I've spent a lot of time in real-time RPGs.

syltman

Feb 12, 2009
Turn based is cool in some points like bosses but when fighting a random encounter it's just blergh

Maxman3002

Steampunked
Jul 25, 2009
Both are ultimatly fun. Turn based works really well in games like Pokemon, KOTOR and some JRPGs (I quite liked Blue Dragon) but at the same time Real time is fun too. I enjoyed the new Mass Effect combat and Diablo wasnt hinderd by it (that was real time right? I mean I attacked faster the more I clicked I thought).

The only thing that bothers me is when combat takes priority over the Role Playing part of the game which happens in a lot of modern RPGs. Some games classed as RPG seem a lot more like FPS's due to the ammount off effort into the combat and the lack of any ability to influence the game at all that I expect in an RPG (Either through charater customisation through levelups or with branching story lines and Non Liniarity)

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
Real time all the way. Might play a turn based game if its very well implemented and challenging, but that's rare.