Question of the Day, August 16, 2010

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
As long as they are prepared properly and not by me. I hear some of them can be quite tasty.

Banana Phone Man

Elite Member
May 19, 2009
If they said to just eat some kind of bean for protein instead I would have probably said yes but bugs...

No I can't eat bugs. How many times have you swatted a fly or some other insect and seen it's inards spew out? Could you eat that for an entire year? I sure couldn't, that would creep me the hell out. Although I do wonder what nutritional value does a bug actually have. They are probably tiny so we would have to eat hundreds of them a day just to make aeven a slight difference.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Bugs? What kind? Eating cockroaches does not exactly appeal to me, but the idea of deep-fried grasshoppers dosen't sound too bad. I'm undecided, in short.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
I'm already eating fungus instead of cows. Give me a break.

Maybe they could introduce something like the old law that you can't eat meat on Fridays. It used to be in the UK that fish were not classified as meat to promote the eating of fish on Fridays. Maybe they could say that fish are now meat since fish stocks are depleted but you can eat bugs.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I would at least try them before making a decision. I would try my hardest, but if I continued throwing them up, I wouldn't any more.

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
I would if it meant something like "all we have are bugs and a few hundred cows left on earth" but not "EET BUG IT SAVES WORLD AND IS KOOL AND DOESN'T AFRAID OF ANYTHIGN!!1!". Mainly do to the Brad Tries with a bunch of bugs, but I don't think I would eat bugs just to make hippies happy.

Mar 30, 2010
Well since I already eat crabs, shrimp, and crayfish, I don't see why not. Marine arthropods already form a decent part of our diet, why should we turn our noses up at landgoing species?

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
So, let's assume we all did this. We wouldn't be foraging for our own, I hope, we'd do what we do for our meat and buy it in the store. Okay, that would maybe sort out the methane being produced by cows but large-scale farming of insects would take almost as much land and infrastructure as large-scale farming of chickens or cows or whatever, so all those 18 wheelers would still be on the roads. Sure, you can fit X million ants into a small piece of land, but those things are TINY. It's not like 1 roach = 1 cow.

Sigh. Is the UN taking a page from PETA on this one and doing something cheap and sensational? Because I'm pretty sure mandating the diets of member nations is well outside their purview.

mikespoff

Oct 29, 2009
I'd eat them to mix things up (I've eaten several types of insects and arachnids over the years), but it would be tough to have them as my sole source of protein.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
I'm a vegetarian so I already have a low carbon foot-print. I'd eat bugs if I had to, but I don't think humanity can survive on insects because you'd have to eat a ton of them just to sustain one person, and growing/catching enough of the little things seems more trouble than raising farm animals or fish.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Ahlycks said:
i do not see how those two are related, and if they are, isn't that going a bit extreme? can you just have a farm without, you know, producing green house gases because, you know, people have not been farming for thousands of years.
The "greenhouse gasses" aren't exactly from the farms, themselves...

When you have thousands of cattle in one place, there's a large amount of, er... natural methane produced.
you also have the massive cattle ranches across Brazil which they tend to destroy 100s of acres of rainforest to create. they then burn this to fertilise the soil. so yeah plenty of CO2 from there not to mention their food consumption and methane output.

OT: I would. I'D give it a shot for a year if I could find a ready source that wasn't overley expensive, if I enjoyed it I could always find a balance afterwards!

Feste

Jul 14, 2009
I don't see how it's related, and even if every burger I ate took a year off the life of the planet, I wouldn't eat bugs. Maybe a few less burgers.

Anyway, sure, cow farts are killing the planet. How are the farms we currently have worse than the miles and miles of buffalo herds that used to roam in certain places? Are there than many more bovine now than 150 years ago?

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
Wouldn't it be simpler if I went vegetarian?

I tried veggie burgers before, doesn't taste that bad.