Question of the Day, August 16, 2010

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
as long as they are incorporated into my food supply the way they are now, diced beyond recognition and used as dyes and flavoring, then yes. You would be surprised how many bugs u eat on the day to day basis without realizing it

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
If the fabled 2012 incident could be prevented by means of 365 days of bug consumption, then yes, yes I would. Otherwise... Ha-whaaaa?

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
No, because compared to the areas where they already eat bugs, the ones elsewhere are generally much smaller, so have more shell to work through for less meat. To have properly edible bugs you'd need to import the large ones, which would cut the greenhouse gas benefits by a great deal.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
I don't particularly see how it's related... but no, pretty sure I wouldn't. I'd rather go vegetarian or vegan instead.

I'm not much of an environmentalist, really.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
We'll all be eating bugs shortly. That, or they'll have to start growing meat in labs. Genuine meat will simply be to expensive.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
quantum mechanic said:
Maze1125 said:
Why eat bugs when you can get all the protein you need from plants? For example, from nuts.
Because bugs have more protein and less fat!
Nuts were just an example. Every plant contains protein in varying levels. Not to mention the fact that we need some fat.

And, regardless, nuts have a better fat to protein ratio than red meat, so they're still an improvement there.

oranger

May 27, 2008
You know what? I guarantee you that people would eat soylent fucking green, knowing whats in it, if it was in tasty, safe, processed bar form. People ate horseglue jujubes for decades.

Beyond that point, farming as a whole produces a tiny fraction of the greenhouse gases that say...a car plant produces, or a major city.
This is just a run up to a spike in the price of beef or something.

Cheshire Cat

Sep 26, 2008
No, I personally choose to not do anything over the "greenhouse effect".
Basically because I couldn't really give a flying fork about all this global warming and carbon footprint stuff. I don't recycle at home and I regularly have multiple computers/gadgets on even if I'm not using them. Given the choice I would happily drive the most unhealthy polluting muscle/sports car over some "green" hybrid or electric car.

Let's get more cows bred up and farting out nastiness, I love my steak and would happily help eat the extra ;-)

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
The Escapist Staff said:
Would you eat only bugs as your source of protein for an entire year to reduce greenhouse gasses?
I don't drive, my smugness demands that drivers should be the ones to eat bugs :D

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Maze1125 said:
Why eat bugs when you can get all the protein you need from plants? For example, from nuts.
Actually I'm pretty sure that most plants, except soy maybe, miss some of the essential proteins your body needs. They have some, but not all. Which is why vegans need to really watch what they eat, so that some of their meals have the proteins they didn't get from other meals.

Also farming doesn't solve the space issue with raising livestock.

Ciler

Nov 16, 2009
I would rather just eat vat-grown genetically engineered beef/pork or whatever. That seems less repugnant than eating insects.

Estocavio

Aug 5, 2009
Not a chance - Id rather let them solve problems the easy way: Dont process things mechanically, do it the old way. Cut it up, salt it, drown it in alchohol, store it, pack it, sell it.

porschecm2

Jun 5, 2009
Cattle take up too much land? Too much land that needs to be used for what? Anyone who thinks there's not enough land needs to go to the Western United States. Travel through Wyoming and Nevada, and then tell me we're overcrowded. Eating bugs because cattle are unsustainable is patently ridiculous.

Superasil

Trapped inside a Game.
Sep 30, 2009
No, no i would not.

We need to make livestock farming HEALTHIER for the planet, not just stop altogether.