Question of the Day, January 20, 2011

Aeriath

Sep 10, 2009
While replaying some of the classics on a portable sounds interesting, I couldn't give a toss about the 3D and the price nearly gave me a heart attack. £230? I could buy a PS3 Slim or an XBox Slim (with Kinetic) for that!

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
I doubt it'll drop to anywhere below $200 until it's been out for 2-3 years at least. The DS was worth roughly $100-150 at launch and with the 3D, power, and the rest of the new installments it's no surprise that it's $250. I won't get one until I see at least five really good games for it.

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
I will get one when they release the new version. I will pick up the original (definitely used) at about $200.

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
That's certainly more than I'm willing to pay for a launch console. Then again, I'm not a big fan of paying extra high prices to pick up a console that doesn't even have many good games for it, and none of those games are cheap. So I guess I'm not the launch purchaser type to begin with.

Call me when it's obviously a success and I can pick up a few good games off the discount rack and maybe I'll pay $200 for it. I'd be happier with $150, but if it's as good as the reviews are claiming I'd probably dish out $200. Until I'm sure it's worth it I'll wait though.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
They're going to release a bunch of my old favourite games on it, AND if I'm not mistaken, GAMEBOY GAMES.

Which, excites me.

However, I'm a high school student who will have to find a way to pay for university next year, I have a job every weekend unloading trucks and that nets me 40 dollars a week (with hardly any expenses to cover. In two months, I could get enough to buy it...

Now that I've actually considered that I could get it... Maybe I will.

PunkyMcGee

A Clever Title
Apr 5, 2010
well, it's less than the 300 i've heard before (you can buy a 360 for that in some stores). but it's still pretty high.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Its about as pricey as I expected, but that doesn't make it any less expensive...

Still, I don't think its expensive enough to deter me if I really want it. :p

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
I don't get how anyone could really think it's too expensive considering the PSP launched for the same price half over 5 years ago....
Twad said:
Its just an overpriced gimmick. Not interested to pay that much for something that doesnt add much to the gameplay.
Are you referring to the gyroscope, accelerometer, touchscreen, analog slider, forward camera, dual rear cameras, AR functionalitiy, wireless abilities, or the adjustable 3d display?

Migratingchimp

Jun 7, 2010
I just want 3D to die already it gives me a headache and does nothing for the, watchability(movies), and playability (games), or at elast I can't see it doing anything for them. its just gimmick.that I truly feel will detract from emmersion. Anything for a dime though right (thanks Nintendo...)

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
If that's how much it costs in the US, it's going to be a bit too expensive over here.

Might as well wait and see what the PSP2 has to offer before making any decisions.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
250 is the price that people are going to pay for it initially. That's all that it really says about it.

To be fair, it's going to hurt a little more than expected, but I'm thinking about buying it just the same. I don't usually let price get in the way of my decisions, unless it's really out of hand. Just means I have to be "fiscally responsible" a little longer to make sure I have the cash. I was hoping for $200, but not surprised to any extent of the word.

Cheaper than what the PSP debuted at, if I recall.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Prices in the UK, as placeholders, are going between £170-£230. That, I feel is much too expensive. It's a portable device, I'd be happy to pay that amount for a proper console, but it's way too much for a handheld. Maybe just over £100, then I'd get one.

Also, will it be compatible with GBA games, like the original DS was? Because I don't want to have to keep my current DS to play my older GBA games and then pay even more for the 3DS. I want to be able to trade in my older console, but it's just not worth it if it means I can't play half my games anymore...

Gahars

Feb 4, 2008
The price seems fine and reasonable, I'm just going to wait until later for some time to pass so that the inevitable hardware glitches at launch to be ironed out.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
The DSi launched with a pricetag of about $200, right?

Well, considering the hardware on the 3DS is more impressive, not to mention the whole 3D thing... I think it's a fair price. Though by the time I'm capable of purchasing it, it'll probably have dropped in price a bit, so I'm not too beaten up about it.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Considering I don't even like my regular DS Lite I think I'm passing on the next one since the 3D sounds about appealing as the virtual boy.

GBA is much better than this two screen nonsense, just saying.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
I think I might just save up for a PS3 instead at that price. After all with PS3 I get Little Big Planet 2, the only game I'll ever need :D